cavia thread

obviously people here care about cavia because this is a forum whose news thread is titled bulletin witch. i was talking with a friend who also posts here about the stand alone complex and dead aim games so i’ve been going through longplays of their whole back catalog. i really wish there was a developer like them around now. what’s your fave?

7 Likes

Missed opportunity there.

Easy answer is Neir. BeatDown: Fists of Vengeance was way more fun than it should have been, though.

4 Likes

nier 1 is obviously the one.
but yeah, SAC, dead aim, drakengard, bullet witch and the korg ds10

5 Likes

the korg ds10 is featured heavily on xiu xiu’s dear god i hate myself and also in the accompanying studio tour video, which is also the movie of the decade

canon

6 Likes

reeaally want to play beatdown ever since reading the sbwiki description

I remember thinking of Stand Alone Complex as being a sort of dry run for Bullet Witch but can’t really substantiate that other than saying something vague about similar feel of movement and weight to the characters. It’s almost to the point where it feels like SAC runs on an early version of BW’s engine

3 Likes

my favorite is drakengard 1 which is sublime and cursed and i loved it a lot

3 Likes

Nier is an incredible achievement

My phone initially autocorrected that to “accident” which is also true

11 Likes

Gits ps2 is like top 3 best games ever for me. The levels are perfect (except the bad ones) the character movement is perfect the guns are sick and graphics are sick the music is sick. It’s a million times better than bullet witch imo. Bullet witch is p cool tho. 2nd fav cavia game is winback 2 which I found to be tremendously satisfying once u get the hang of it. I’ve never played winback 1 tho so don’t rly have that reference point. Winback 2 also has what I can only call perfect graphics. Nier and drak are cool too.

5 Likes

one time i had aspirations to make a video about how cool the levels are in gits ps2. i recorded an entire playthrough that i was gonna edit and talk over or something. never happened

4 Likes

there’s a lot to be said about drakengard and how it managed to be (or stay) as creepy as it is, especially since it managed to pass SQEXs QC without them undoing some of the plotlines, or at least easing their awkwardness by committee decisions … that it’s basically impossible for such a game to be released by a serious studio nowadays is just the icing on the cake.

It’s almost like it dropped out of another world, or timeline. How many games can claim that?

6 Likes

I feel like Drakengard slipped through the cracks by looking generic enough « There’s one Squall-looking guy with a big sword. Dragons. A dark setting. It’s the Dynasty Warriors Square game everybody was expecting and will love. I don’t need to play more »

The feverish couple of days I spent playing through all of Drakengard before seeing anyone suggest it was extremely weird are some of my most cherished vidcon memories

10 Likes

NieR is probably my #1, but Bullet Witch and SAC are up there with it.

i never got to play Drakengard, and i hear the best way to play it is a patched version on a PS2 emulator, which…is not within my reach rn, i don’t think.

but yeah, there doesn’t seem to be room for companies like this in the current mainstream landscape. i guess the best we have is that devs from Cavia are still making games for other companies. obviously some of the “unpolished gem” quality gets lost there, though.

2 Likes

Drakengard 1 soundtrack is stunning, it’s probably my favorite Cavia game

5 Likes

The only thing I didn’t like about Drakengard 1 was the rhythm game but I guess that was the whole point.

1 Like

god help me my favorite cavia is drakengard 3

7 Likes

i would have said this, too, but the 30 seconds of googling i did made it unclear to me if Cavia was involved or just Taro

it was functionally a cavia title in all but name, they had already shut down but lots of former staff were involved.

2 Likes

D05715F4-A83D-45F5-BA5C-8848D287196F

hi hello what’s up

4 Likes

Tonight my friend and I took turns playing all the way through Stand Alone Complex in one sitting. Merry xmas

16 Likes