Cartoons (Part 1)

1 Like

Binged all of Bojack season 3 today while drinking. Bojack things happened, Bojack fucked everything up, Bojack ran away from his problems, there will be a Bojack season 4.

I will say this, even if you haven’t seen the show, the fourth episode of the new season is worth a watch on the basis of its high concept and execution.

Oh dear.

One day someone will have to pay for moe Nihei

I won’t claim to have read any BLAME! in close to a decade, but, uh, this certainly looks updated for the times.

If Nihei wants to focus on Electrofishers for a feature length, fine, I’m just baffled by how garbage this looks visually.

Ugh. I absolutely adore that manga. I was hoping against hope it wouldn’t use the game CG animation style as Knights of Sidonia, but no luck.

Sidonia’s probably the first anime I’ve been unable to watch past the first episode due to shitty animation alone.

What’s worse is that the art in Blame is easily its biggest draw. Nihei’s work is unbelievable.

That’s ok, Sidonia is just a shitty harem anime anyway

Sidonia had the traces of something interesting with the setting but they decided to go plot dumb in the second season.

Ditto with Aijin but that went south in a shorter period of time.

So I’ve now seen original Gundam, Zeta, ZZeta, Counterattack and Turn A - that’s all the remotely decent ones right?

Even that might be a push, Counterattack Char makes no sense from Zeta Char and it’s completely distracting

Oh it wasn’t great

But honestly none of them have been Great

War in the Pocket and 08th MS Team are both pretty good.

2 Likes

And 0083 is pretty good looking. Great looking actually.

The plot and character issues are worth putting up with if you like pretty animation.

The more anime start embracing low-rent CG animated stuff that looks like a weirdo Japanese PS2 RPG the more I think I’m watching cutscenes from some mid tier game I can’t play and that makes me sadder than bad anime

I hear 08th MS Team is the one Gundam really worth checking out.

it is The Bee’s Knees

08th MS Team is my ideal Gundam show in terms of tone, characters and action. The mobile suits are nice and heavy. Really sells them as tools and machines instead of being a complete battle over specs and pilot talent.

But Char in CCA is in character, remember that he kills Garma for revenge even though he was most problebly innocent and his friend, and never openly confronted the Zabi, he wasn’t doing a good job. In Zeta, without a need for vengence and the titans, he may look like a cool guy. Kamille was propably his best friend and he wanted to be his mentor, having the same point of view about newtypes and the earth is just a overrated rock stopping the next step of humanity, But Kamille understood that being a newtype is nothing special beside piloting meaner machines of destructions. We don’t know how much time he spent in the broken cockpit of the hyaku shiki, but I’m sure it wasn’t nice. We can asume he knows about kamille going comatose and the federation almost surrendering to axis, making all his efforts in vain. In CCA more than wanting to destroy the earth, he wanted to defeate Amuro in a MS combat. He can’t forget about Lalah and his murderer, so wanting to destroy the earth was the perfect set up for his broken dreams and his last revenge. He didn’t have faith in earth in Z, so in CCA it’s just worse and he hates earthnoids, but from what I remember (I watched it 4 years ago) I remember he had doubts and insecurities about his actions, A good thing about Tomino is that his character aren’t even sure what they really want sometimes. Another thing is he doen’t care about Zeon, it was just a tool for his revenge.
What I see is a lot of people see Char as a cool man with swag but in reality he’s a petty sore loser that has more name than achievements, he was like this in the Original, so in CCA he is just going to be worse after all he went though.

Victory is one of my favorites, has good fights with crazy designs and good animation, some people say it looks bad for lack of shading and some mysoginist oppinions, but don’t worry this show laughs at masculinity too.

F91 is a movie with a meh incomplete history with wated good characters maybe, but the animation and fights are top notch.

MS team is pretty good even though it wasn’t my style, the final fight was pretty nice.

War in the Pocket is the most NotGundam Gundam, few fights, more character driven, but it’s great, it can make you cry.

G Gundam

G No Reconguista, lot of people got assblasted 'cause they couln’t undertand anything, it’s true is not the easiest show to follow but still no that hard, just pay some atention and go back 2 minutes if you most. Anyway, the fights are pretty colorfull like it’s cast and has good world to explore, pitifully Tomino is not a man famous for his non existence world building and the ending come out weak, but still like pretty much.

Build Fighter was nice and comfy show aimed for kids, it has good characters and decent actions until the last chapters. Be warned about the sequel, Try is shit with just bad fights.

I know some days ago I was saying Wing was obsenely fun…but I was wrong, around ep.20 it got slowly worst until becoming boring around 30.

didn’t watched 00 but all the other gundam rank from mediocre to shit.

1 Like

The camera loves him, though. The amount of effort they put in showing us how attractive is Char may be part of the “he’s such a cool man” view of the character.

This season was not as funny as the last one, but it was probably the best so far as drama. (The abortion episode is one of the funniest the series has done, though.) Bit frustrating that the ending had so many hanging threads. I’m happy to get another season, but I’d rather have things either wrapped up neater, or introduced earlier in the season.

Hardly a spoiler if you’re paying attention, but the Todd reveal is pretty cool. Excited to see how they handle it next season.