Cartoons (Part 1)

mob psycho 100 probably

Watch the number one dad cartoon and learn to cook

2 Likes

still watching galactic heroes

the OTP here is crypto-trans as fuck and i can’t deal with how adorable reinhardt is, oh my god

like everyone else, i watch this show for the ships

um, the spaceships that is. uh-huh

1 Like

It probably wouldn’t surprise you to find out that the Side Stories in book form were illustrated by a yaoi artist

1 Like

yes, perfect

[spoiler]i wasn’t expecting a show about politics and military campaigns to turn into a pretty obvious MTF/FTM shoujo for an episode, but i guess with where i’m at right now, that was comfort food, even as silly as the tonal whiplash was

have i mentioned yet that i’m really easy to pander to[/spoiler]

(minor spoilers?)

Also you should be watching Gen Urobuchi Presents Murder Wuxia Puppets

1 Like

Yesterday I watched The Boy and the Beast. Pretty nice movie and recommended if you like Mamoru Hosoda’s other works. Although the climax felt to me like it almost came from a completely different movie and it kinda felt like it was condensing a miniseries sized plot down to one movie.

Also today I watched The Little Norse Prince, which is a refreshingly simplistic change of pace from the overly complex anime stuff I have been watching lately. You can definitely see a lot of the themes and elements that would later be common in all the early Ghibli movies. For some reason I found it funny to see a squirrel crying and telling the girl that she hates her forever

Jojo’s rat hunt episode looked really good, I guess the sad reality is minor episodes with non-bombastic action can live very well with detailed stills and strategic animations while BIG FIGHTS are bound to be a bit disappointing.

reunthal’s rebellion was a stupid arc on pretty much every level, and while presumably these last ten episodes have a lot more to cover in order to wrap everything up, at the moment the show seems preoccupied with its generic anime villains who have done nothing but sit in the background and laugh maniacally as they instigate pointless conflicts and kill off better-written characters. speaking of which, there has been way too much screen time dedicated to the sentimental death scenes of the many, many interchangeable admirals that make up the supporting cast. seriously, there was something like half an episode dedicated to the death of an admiral who’d been there almost since the beginning, and i couldn’t think of a single memorable thing he’d done. when you exist almost entirely to execute orders and are given only the most minimal characterization, why the heck am i supposed to care when you become the next in a long line of expendables to sacrifice yourself for your kaiser-senpai. i sort of miss when the show reserved the worst of its venom for military brass. things made more tonal sense then

it’s starting to feel like this show ran out of things to say after season three, and this has just been the last few pieces dancing around an empty chess board. i’m sure there are surprises left in store, but i don’t know if they’ll amount to a satisfying conclusion or be able to justify all of the time spent faffing about with petty conflicts within the admiralty or terraism and phezzan bogeymen. it was already bad enough when the big twist of a setting with an explicitly germanic military autocracy was that the financial system is secretly run by an evil religion that wants to control the world government, and, uh, oh dear, i wonder if they could make the anti-semitic subtext any clearer?

IF ONLY KIRCHEIS WERE HERE

1 Like

Watched the restoration. The local indie theater’s projector was obviously not up to the demands of dealing with a 4k restoration, quite a bit of blurriness. Still, the movie is as weird and good as I remember.

Mob Psycho 100 ending is nothing short of amazing.

again ducktales '17 looking real appealing

Sean Jimenez who is one of the background artists from gravity falls is the art director

3 Likes

i finished legend of galactic heroes

;~;

2 Likes

What is the verdict on Monster? Is it worth watching?

Read the manga instead.

1 Like

The anime has glacial pacing, so definitely read the manga instead.

It’s funny, Naoki Urasawa stuff is usually criticized for having pacing that is too breakneck, I don’t know they botched the anime’s pacing so bad

oh right. I remember dropping it around episode 15 when they had only gotten through like one volume’s worth of story

Ah okey dokey, 20th century boys was so great but the movies were a bit of a botch job so I thought an anime adaptation of Urasawa’s work would be much better. Since there isn’t a 20th century boys anime I thought Monster might be the next best thing.
The boxset is over $120 though so I figured I would see what the buzz was first.

I could have sworn the entire Macross saga was available in Australia, but it seems to have vanished apart from macross plus and robotech

I dunno, I assumed the set would be the whole series, I think it was 5 discs