Cartoons (Part 1)

Could be something they wanted to do for a while, but I’m reading this new Akira Project fully sparking from whatever best parallels the fated, warped 'n wack Hollywood production (coincide, override, divide…)

3 Likes

Not sure if they can really top the original movie, but there’s a lot of plot elements from the manga that I always thought would be cool to see in movie form, like the Caretaker Robots, Chiyoko, Kei being the real hero of the story etc

3 Likes

she’s still 16

WayForward’s horniness sometimes feels WayBackward tbh

3 Likes

I find their particularly angular and “peep this cute-hot” look more tacky than attractive most of the time, really not all about it. But their sauce blends pretty well with Trigger’s and that hyper Kill La Kill, Gurren Lagann energy so there’s always a broad market sizzlin’ for it.

The Indivisible animation they’re doing is of the smoother less frantic style. Now that I have appetite for.

1 Like

yeah wtf

i still haven’t watched it but i would buy ok ko toys right away, regardless

much like i am 16 for this animation

i’m kind of bummed OPM gets so much more attention than mob psycho 100 because it’s legitimately one of the best shows i’ve seen in years & while it’s consistently gorgeous, season 2 has some really buckwild animation

5 Likes

have i mentioned before that OK K.O. is directly inspired by this scene

it’s a realistic down to earth show that’s completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots! (And you could win stuff by watching! they had a watch and win contest)

anyway season 3 just came out and it’s still my favorite kids cartoon that’s on right now so WATCH IT. no tv cartoon has come closer to carrying on the spirit of Keenspace webcomics from the ‘00s

1 Like

I’ve wondered if OPM has the more visible position because it came before MP100. Like, it took me a long time to check out MP100 because I heard it was the also-good show from the OPM guy, whereas I checked out OPM because literally everyone was talking about it.

Mob Psycho 100 is definitely one of my favorite television shows period now.

Of course, the premise of OPM is just that much easier to sell to someone. The entire show comes out of basically one pretty good joke. So that’s probably part of it.

the worst horny wayforward thing is that their zombie girl character is named Rottytops. YUCK

1 Like

yeah, “world’s most powerful psychic learns how to come out of his shell and be a well-rounded decent person while fighting ghosts & psychic jerks all while hanging out with his con-artist-with-a-heart-of-gold buddy & the animators are just constantly flexing” is a bit of a mouthful

1 Like

this scene is an unacknowledged instance of the simpsons prophecies. the way the network guy says “a realistic down to earth show that’s completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots” shows how unprepared the us kids tv people were for the anime boom, and why all their attempts at homegrown anime-type shows failed up until avatar (when someone finally realised it was characters, stories and serialisation that kids liked about anime, not big eyes).

it’s kind of sad that the show frames the kids as being the unreasonable, unpleasable ones, though.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the ebb and flow of what’s popular to kids in America is such that any sort of all-consuming conclusion has little to no application, especially when stuff like Pokemon being dethroned as king of Saturday morning by The Weekenders happens. pretty much the only thing that can be said is that their tastes are fickle, which lines up with that scene threw out

then again, all audiences are fickle

ive never seen one punch man but i love mob psycho!! i havent finished the second season but i cant get enough of the spooky smudged streaks on glass animation

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2016/09/04/feature-the-story-behind-the-mob-psycho-100-ending-sequence-miyo-sato-and-paint-on-glass-animation

2 Likes

Honestly my favourite thing about Wanpanman is that Genos’ creator is called Kuseno-hakase which is like “Dr Stinky”

1 Like

I attended the Eva 3.0+1.0 preview in Paris and it was mad hype. Can’t imagine how it’d have been had their original plan of flying Anno there worked out. Someone’s head would probably have exploded.

And then in the evening there was the Promare premiere, and that too was positively hysterical. It’s super good.

3 Likes

yeah im hyped about the rebuilds again. i’ve felt so many ways about them over the last 10+(?) years

Amano designs lose a lot of uniqueness when digital-cg production doesn’t go hard in the detail.

Love that announcer at the end.

1 Like