Thanks

The closest might be stuff like

Look Around You
Saul of the Mole Men
Children’s Hospital
NTSF SD:SUV
Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp
Eagleheart

Honestly though, almost nothing dedicates itself to high level aesthetic and dead ass stupidity at the level of those two

You might like “AD/BC: A Rock Opera” but that’s a one off

Burning Love and Sex House are both good reality show things but that’s a little different I suppose?

“Sledge Hammer!” is actually from the 80s but is basically this?

1 Like

Look Around You is the only one of that bunch I’ve seen, so I’ll check the others out. Thanks

biffovision, maybe sort of? but not really

Brasseye surely is the top of the pisstake heap.

1 Like

im not sure why Luxury Comedy wasn’t a bigger deal.

s( ’ ‿ ')-b

the official sb seal of approval

Bullet in the Face.

Dark action comedy which finds that Golden Mean between being a parody and having actual enthusiasm for the subject. The characters never outright become caricatures, and you’re left with this feeling that a terrible writer wrote the screenplay, but then a clever director took the material out into the stratosphere.

2 Likes

Just finished watching the first episode of Bullet in the Face and so far, yeah, this description is super accurate. It reminds me a little of Hot Fuzz and it’s great.

I love Garth Marenghi and I’m having a hard time thinking of anything similar. I think Snuff Box is similar at least by being too weird to even exist. Toast of London is also fun, it’s basically Matt Berry as a failed actor who thinks he’s amazing and really successful, kind of like the character he plays in Darkplace.

EDIT: I just watched every episode of Bullet in the Face and it was pretty entrancing. Good cinematography considering what I assume was a fairly limited budget. It was never sure if it was a comedy or a goofy action show but the saving grace was the main character’s laughing stupidity in the face of both sides of the show. That basically tied it together.

I’m a little sad there wasn’t a second season but I somehow doubt it could have pulled any more material out of the premise anyway.

1 Like

Man to Man with Dean Learner is the not so good follow up to Darkplace but has some solid moments.

Track down the pilot for Heat Vision and Jack.

How about Police Squad!?

The Mighty Boosh and Flight of the Concords should help scratch that itch.

Italian Spider-Man is done by the guy who made Danger 5, so that’s definitely recommended.

If you can get you hands on it, the actual Toho-produced 1970’s Japanese Spider-Man is fantastic, weird, and entertaining. I have all episodes on my computer, if you can’t find it anywhere on the webz.

Yacht Rock isn’t terribly long, but it’s a great watch.

If you haven’t gotten into Venture Brothers, I feel like that would be right up your alley.

These are all shows I used to watch high as sin with my old roommate. Mr. Show (and the new Mr. Show) would also probably be a good bet.

1 Like

Maybe also even Cop Rock? It’s not satire, it’s just… it is what it is.

1 Like

In COLOR!

1 Like

they trying to do police squad 2016 up in here

2 Likes

some of the shows that adult swim did that are live action are also pretty similar to this
they had their own totally bizarre chuck norris/90’s action cop show parody for awhile

I forgot that “The Spoils of Babylon” and “The Spoils Before Dying” are also very similar to Darkplace in the framing and attitude on just a slightly different wavelength

oh, damn. This looks like an incredible parody of Important Award-Worthy movies