But Thou Must (share pictures from Dragon Quest Builders) (Now the general DQ Builders thread)

Welp, it’s almost exactly a year later and I’m back on my bullshit. DQ Builders 2 getting a release date pulled me back into this game.

I started chapter 1 over again and just went fucking hog wild on this castle.

I leveled all of the existing structures, built it up to the level of the flag (that’s the stone foundation beneath the walls) and just started…making walls. I forgot to get a top view of the thing though, dang it.

I put my portals outside because I figured that if something got through, I’d rather have it outside the castle than inside. (I know this doesn’t happen, just…hear me out)

Opening the main doors:

What a nice entrance hallway! You can see the centerpiece of this is the garden, in which the flag sits nicely near a tree. Let’s get a better look:

Get off my fucking flowers Larouche.

Anyway, if we turn right from the entrance, we go to the blacksmith’s lair:

I thought I would eventually get bars, but I put a little vent over the furnace so the toxic fumes wouldn’t build up. Spoiler: Chapter 1 has no bars. Chapter 1 has very little of anything useful it turns out.

Continuing down the same hallway, we come to the stair room:

Not much to say here, except the NPCs could never figure out how to go up OR downstairs. I don’t know if that’s because each floor was 4 blocks tall and that fucked up their pathfinding or…what.

Continuing down the hallway, we come to the treasury.

You can also see the back door in that shot. I installed that in the West wall in the vain hope that my NPCs would join me in battle, but mostly they just ran into the walls like absolute fucking idiots. I got them to come out maybe once.

Finally, at the end of the hall and to the left is the kitchen

Larouche is pictured here cooking something awful, probably, and thinking about fighting. Typical.

The kitchen links to the hall on the left - you can navigate the whole first floor in a big circle, and the garden also links to the main hall and the two side halls. The kitchen has windows looking into the garden as well, just to give it a little more natural light.

Let’s go back to the main hall and we’ll investigate the other side hall:

Sooo this is just like, the stonemason room. I don’t know why I made two rooms that built furniture, but I did, so live with it.

Further down the hall is Pippa’s room:

It’s pretty barebones but she’s the only person with her own room other than me. I tried to get her to live upstairs with me but she would never go up. So I guess she sleeps down here by herself.

Moving along

Both of the doors on the left lead to the communal living space, i.e. the boys dormitory (plus Cherie, sorry girl.) It’s got a dresser and chests for everyone, seems like they got along just fine.

Finally, the door at the end of the hallway leads to:

The armoury! Not much to say here except that it should probably not have big windows? for people getting dressed? But they’re not pictured so whatever.

Alright let’s briefly go downstairs:

We don’t talk about the basement much.

Let’s go upstairs!

I used barriers as fences - you can also see a gate here that leads to a ladder down to the garden. It’s nice and open. This is also where my personal room and the throne room are.

This is actually an en-suite bedroom. I didn’t mean to make that but…yeah here it is.

The purple headboard was there from before I found that very nice bed, so I had built my own from purple blocks and straw beds. There it remains because it rules.

Alright let’s go to the throne room baby

Fit for a queen like myself. Here’s the view from the throne:

Admittedly kind of crap but, oh well.

Alright, let’s head all the way to the top for a brief tour of the, uh, battlements or something

Ahh, sunset. The throne room is 8 blocks high, which is why the last picture is EVEN HIGHER. It’s good to be queen.

Alright, so that’s the grand tour. I fought the golem after this, and it went really well. Wanna see the end results? Okay.

Y’know, there’s something really pleasing about seeing a structure that took me a week to build half in ruin. It might help that I saved this on a separate file though. No way I’m rebuilding this, christ.

(sorry felix for making your AWS bill explode)

Anyway, that’s all for Cantlin. Not sure I’ll continue but it was good fun to revisit this and try to build what I could from what is provided in the first chapter. Here are some fun facts:

• I destroyed three of the four towers in the old Cantlin castle to get all those walls since you can’t make them.
  • I also took every single crenelation block from the castle to get those at the top. When I was done I had 11 left. You can’t make them so…I’m glad I didn’t need more.
  • Other things I had to scavenge: My bed, the big eagle crest outside the treasury, all the purple floors, the banners, the iron cell doors, the iron manacles
  • Things my villagers built for me so I didn’t have to: The stone windows (actually I forgot to use these), all the plant pots, most of the doors, the clover stone thing, the fireplace, some stone walls
  • things I could only get from monsters: my bathtub, all the flowers, the grass seed, and the Hammer Hood doll materials.
7 Likes