bulletin witch

I’d love to hear thoughts on this, I could see it going either way

I thought it was called “AMD Evil” and it was some preview for AMD doing a fully ray traced throwback game or something.

6 Likes

I have and have played this game, although I haven’t played the last 2 worlds (since they weren’t all available in early access).

I think it’s rather beautifully rendered. The worlds have good visual variety, and the level design ranges from unmemorable to interestingly twisty. The shooting is about as good as you’d want it to be. I don’t think it does anything particularly special, but it’s a solid B+ package I’d think.

I think the environments look great, and that was the main draw for me.

2 Likes

Ok, playing it a bit again. The guns largely fit into Quake archetypes, but they all have slightly lower fire rates and slower bullets. The sword weapon makes interesting “slash” shaped projectiles which are fun to aim. The mace shoots spikes and feels sort of like a shotgun, but will pin enemies to walls for the finishing blow, which is extremely satisfying. And the rocket launcher equivalent shoots orbs that look like planets, and you get a different planet to shoot every time. That’s neat!

Turning off anti-aliasing and turning down the “resolution scale” makes this game look like I remember Unreal Tournament looking like, which probably means it looks much better, but it’s an effective nostalgia vehicle.

The lighting is very nice in general, and I liked the dithered water (pretending they can’t handle transparencies).

2 Likes

so yeah, that’s the point of the series, sounds like they got that sorted pretty well!

it is a disaster simulator, after all, and my experience with both ZZ1 and ZZ2 is that if the game manages to instill a chilling feeling or fear slowly creeping up on you, it works as well as it can. I didn’t care about production value or polish-level of the game, it all came down to the way how the game instilled fear of checking your environmrnt well before making daring moves to save yourself or someone tagging along.

In hindsight, i think this series of … simulators(?)… has to be considered as an educational series where naive players are taught behaviour to apply in unforseeable circumstances - should it be fun to play then?

imho, absolutely not!
is it that why they postponed it almost a decade?
I think so, and that’s why i absolutely will play this game and approach it from two pov’s like i did with both predecessors:
First and/or second time feelin the anxiousness, and then a run where you collect all the tiny fanservice gimmicky bits, do all the wonky dialog options and bad endings that you would never do - there is something chilling about how e.g. ZZ1 handled the case when you left someone behind that tagged along, almost to the point where you don’t want to even try some odd dialog options out of fear that the game hands out yet another sobre, sudden ending that makes you feel as much asshole as you just decided to ‘play’.

tl;dr:
this is as close a 2000 series game we’ll get this gen, and there may never be such a sobre entry into this series again - must buy, and automatic goty entry.

DAY
ONE

1 Like

Yeah ZZT3 stopped about every 5 seconds to blatantly explain a disaster tip. It was more an eductional film than a video game.

1 Like

The worst part of ZZT1 was when you have to solid snake around PMCs with rocket launchers who had decided to start patrolling a partially collapsed skyscraper, so the less of that “normal videogame” signaling the game has the better.

1 Like

zach-likes and brough-likes are the only likes i like-like

1 Like

download it before it gets axed
https://www.merso-x.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-rescue

9 Likes

you don’t have to tell me twice

1 Like

D9pALj3VUAAQbGh

Linda Cube!

But no Devil’s Crush or Nectaris? Fuck off. TWO fuckin’ Momotaru Densetsu games, but no Devil’s Crush.

Wait, why is there an Ingress anime

1 Like

Ingress was pretty big in Japan in like 2012-2013

But

because netflix has money

not enough to license Fly Me to the Moon, but enough to make some dumb cartoon

1 Like

Rumor wisp

I think another Nier is doable, but it’d need to be removed enough from the second, like that was from the first. This seemed possible from how Automata released and seeded in one of the endings. I just can’t really dig the idea at base, and obviously if Taro doesn’t have a reason or involvement, welp

6 Likes

sophies dice is out!!! SO MANY DIFFERENT DICE TO ROLL

also you can put words on the dice and roll that

9 Likes

Looks great, I wish there was a way to get it in the iOS store

wondering if they trust Taro enough now to let him do his thing or if they’re going to doom him to a Kojima-style fate where everything be makes has to be called NieR: Automata forever.

5 Likes