bulletin witch

it honestly kind of seems like the exact thing that happened when steam came out

like, it seemed like a way to totally upend the traditional game purchasing model and stuff

instead you just buy games at full price but digitally until they lower it by 75% every 6 months

early access was big tho

From Kotaku:

This November, you’ll only be able to play with a Stadia controller and a Chromecast hooked up to your television.

Seems to imply that even if you already have the Chromecast, you will need their controller too.

stadia is like steam for linux without even the enthusiasm of linux users

8 Likes

Ew, yeah, the no subscription service is a huge negative. Streaming, with current technology, is mostly inferior to running the game locally. If they don’t reduce friction, then any other “advantages” Stadia has (cloud computing, “unlimited” resources, no more patching, etc) are overshadowed by the downsides of streaming.

1 Like

Yeah, Steam had huge impacts on game sales – it is directly responsible for saving PC games from retail death, it was a major contributor to an indie ‘market’, it has drastically changed the value of legacy and catalog releases, led publishers to experiment with different price points for different audiences, and, like you said, there’s the whole early access thing.

I think it was as foundational a change as the mobile games market, or the influx of free-to-play business models from Nexon and the like.

2 Likes

Subscription model + paying full price for games is pretty hilarious. DOA imo

4 Likes

My take on this is: since I couldn’t read this post without my eyes rolling back into my head, and actually I still don’t understand what I would need to physically do in order to use this Stadia service, not because I am unintelligent but because I refuse to do the mental legwork to understand this labyrinth of metaphysical terms, it’s not going to do well.

6 Likes

at some point you’re going to have to stop considering yourself representative of the average consumer but I don’t think this is it no

1 Like

this is absolutely the average consumer. doing tech support for-fucken-ever has taught me that people don’t want a good solution to something if it has more than 4 different steps. They would rather spend 4 hours doing something they know how to do repeatedly than 1 hour critically thinking about technology and

I don’t blame them

Technology sucks

8 Likes

“Stadia has the benefits of alienating people who play action games and care about latency, along with the total confusion of a messy launch and interconnected technology that will also put off the average consumer! Buy our founder’s kit so we can beta test a product that we’ll quickly abandon after we test out whatever technology we really care about and integrate it into Youtube!”

10 Likes

You’re right but I wrote that in the voice of game and business jargon so that’s half my fault

baldur’s gate but your playthrough ends when the game hard locks and you check twitter to find out that stadia has been dismantled and everyone involved has been reassigned to work on a whatsapp clone

8 Likes

Actually now I’m surprised they didn’t YouTube brand this system somehow

1 Like
1 Like

I played this two days ago and will recommend it to anyone interested. It’s a very short experience, but the price point of 3€ is perfect.

1 Like

I played it a few months back and was utterly confused by its desire to dump my children in a hole for eternity

4 Likes

1 Like

Considering BG1-2 + expansions told a complete story I really don’t see why this needs to be Baldur’s Gate 3 instead of its own thing.

I’ll have you know I already beta tested Stadia and it’s okay

what Google is doing is a dumbass price strategy and rollout but it doesn’t matter because they’re going to Xbox it until we’re all Stadia idiots

1 Like

stadia is playdate for gamers

6 Likes