Bloodborne October/November Book Club

Isn’t that just “git gud”

I’ve heard that if you hide behind a rock and listen to their song long enough, the Winter Lanterns reveal their secrets and welcome you into the Brain Trust.

8 Likes

9 Likes

(src)

4 Likes

i gotta say ‘yharnam dex club’ is extremely scathing

also it’s not wrong

those dudes are like dark souls 1 pvpers imported to bloodborne

6 Likes

bring bloodborne to pc so i can mod dad masks onto those rude snake boys

4 Likes

Who would win the pilgrim to yharnam or three hissy bois

not gonna lie those three might have been my favorite boss in the game

all of the jumpiness of a hunter battle but with a more novel moveset

plus in such an atmospheric and evocative game “attack the foot until enemy dies” always felt like a totally unneeded abstraction

they are surprisingly frustrating to fight on NG++ too

I’ve gotten totally sucked into Bloodborne in a way that I did not intend to, but should have expected!

My experience fighting Djura was very funny, and quintessentially Soulsy. When I got to the top of the tower, I totally cheesed him by just shooting him 5 times in rapid succession, knocking him off the tower. He died on impact, leaving his item drop way down at the base of the tower. While looking down to try and locate where he’d fallen, I accidentally fell off the tower myself and died. On my way back to collect my souls and his items, I totally beefed it, dying to a low level enemy and permanently losing all the souls I’d gotten from cheesing the fight. I kind of deserved it.

1 Like

I had to look up who Djura was, apparently he is the guy who rolled off a platform to his death within seconds of me meeting him.

I finished the game BTW. I’m pretty sure the ending I got basically ended with a hug which is certainly a brave choice. I am glad that From decided to stretch their legs a bit with this game but I’m pretty sure I had a better experience with any of the 4 Souls games than I did here for a few reasons, so hopefully if they follow up on this in the future they can get back up to that quality level.

In case anyone wonders why I feel that way, most of the game felt very samey in terms of aesthetics, it was often downright poor in terms of indicating where you can press forward or if something is leading to a major, end-of-path encounter, the healing system is a big step backwards and I think it somehow did a worse job introducing mechanics and systems than they have before (also frenzy sucks). I still think it is a good solid “8 out of 10” experience, but I’d pretty much consider all the Souls games 9s and 10s.

1 Like

fair

yeah that’s understandable.

personally i like the game more than dark souls, which people will remember i grump a lot about how incoherent and messy the back end of the game is, and about as much as demon’s souls.

2 Likes

I just got to the moment when the blood moon rises. OH MY GOD.

Waking up in a cathedral with an enormous elder god spider thing hanging over me, its tentacles nearly grazing my head. Walking outside and seeing them everywhere, impossibly huge, perched on the sides of the towers like giant insects, watching me. They were always there, and I’d seen hints that one or two existed, but the shock of fully seeing them in the cosmic flesh, everywhere.

That has to rank among the coolest moments I’ve had with videogames.

7 Likes

Also, and forgive me if this is not a new insight because I have not read the discourse around this game… But Bloodborne handles Lovecraftian cosmic horror in a way that only a video game could.

The game has you spend hours learning to navigate every corner of its environments, and then lifts the veil to reveal that there were unseen cosmic horrors lurking in those spaces the entire time. The anomalies the player had encountered, the environmental effects that seemed like glitches, the weird statues, the enemies changing over time… All at once, it’s made clear what has been going on, in one terrifying moment.

The player actually experiences what a protagonist in a Lovecraft story experiences when they discover the terrifying truths undergirding our reality. That’s something only a video game could do.

I’ve never seen this kind of cosmic horror represented this well in a visual medium. Movies can’t do Lovecraft justice the way Bloodborne does, because only a game can really get in your head and put you in this situation in this way.

6 Likes

I made a pedantic list of textual allusions to that stuff in an earlier post in this very thread.

related rambling on the insight stat:

i love how the game describes “insight” as some understanding of hidden truth when really it just tracks how mad you’re getting from being exposed to all this shit, as really high insight makes you hear voices that probably(?) aren’t real, get frenzied easier, and see those monsters before the blood moon reveals them.

7 Likes

This game is so good.

I just got to the point where the gate to Gehrman has opened. Should I fight him now, or do the DLC first?

If you’ve done all the optional areas, you probably want to do The Old Hunters now. You’ve opened the end.

A couple of the series’ toughest bosses are in it. And it scales difficulty with ng+. Most players seem to be around 70-80+ at the end of their first playthrough. 50-60 might suffice just fine for the first parts of The Old Hunters, but that can depend on the player and their approach to combat (as in, kill em all or run past many).

Difficult mostly meaning bosses that have absurd amounts of health, hit tracking, and deceptive hitboxes.

DLC bosses in general have not typically been a strong point for From, come to think of it.