Bloodborne October/November Book Club

You can afford to take it a little slower at the beginning, like you might in any Souls game, but the game will progressively disabuse you of that as you go on.

Be aggressive, for sure, but be tactical about it. Drawing enemies out, taking advantage of your terrain, and watching for tells and openings work as well as ever, you just need to stay on your toes more.

All of the beginning weapons are great and viable, but hunter axe is generally considered to be the most reliably powerful and useful for beginners and veterans alike. The transformed version has excellent range, and itā€™s good for poking enemies from safety while youā€™re trying to wrap your head around the game. Donā€™t let it become a crutch though! Iā€™m doing a faster character now and i practically had to relearn the game because of how much the axe carried me through my first time.

Level ups are less important than usual, and upgrades are more restricted, so donā€™t be afraid to dump souls blood echoes into vials, paper, cocktails and other essential items. When you do level itā€™s smart to prioritize vitality and your weaponā€™s strongest stat first; endurance isnā€™t as important as usual in Bloodborne.

Use all the madmanā€™s knowledge you find right away. There are a couple of cool surprises associated with having high insight, and unlike humanity, you donā€™t lose any when you die. Thereā€™s a drawback to having high insight, but you probably wonā€™t deal with it until late in the game and you can just spend it for good items (or co-op!) when the time comes.

1 Like

play in the dark with headphones and coffee and donā€™t get any tips

8 Likes

A few days ago, I decided to finally return to Bloodborne to do the one thing I had left undone (beat Laurence). But then I found myself starting a new character so that I could try some different weapons (such as the axe, which I have never used previously).

I donā€™t know whether I will play through the whole game again, but let me know if you want to coordinate any co-op.

1 Like

Cool! I might not get into it right away cuz Iā€™m playinā€™ Yakuza 0, but when I do I will hit you up!

R2 poise with the axe through everything

1 Like

I am closing in on the ending (I assume) so the biggest advice I would give is be aware that the difficulty curve in the game is almost inverted. I had more trouble during the first quarter or so of the game than I had in just about any Souls game, but it has been rather smooth sailing for a good while now.

Everyone said to spend echoes on vials and stuff rather than levels; I am uncertain about this. I used my echoes early on to buy better clothes as I needed any extra defense I could get, and there was some times early on when my vials started to dip lower than I liked before I figured out a good vial grinding run that I did buy some, but for the most part I spent my vials on levels and I think it helped me a ton. Each level raises you base defense and you are rather fragile for a while.

There is a parry check or two early on in the game that suck if you are bad at parrying (I am bad at parrying) but afterwards it doesnā€™t really come up if you donā€™t want it to.

1 Like

donā€™t be in a rush to finish.

enjoy the atmosphere

see the sights

brutally rip and tear the locals

make contact with the [REDACTED]

4 Likes

fear the old blood

3 Likes

So I ended up playing the beginning part of the game today because all these tips got me hyped.

Tip of the year award goes to @bib, turning the lights off really set the mood.

Other tips were helpful too. I went with the axe, and that R2 really is something special.

I just finished Dark Souls 2 last week, and I have to say that this game is much harder so far. But DS2 felt weirdly easy most of the time for me, with the exception of the DLC. Iā€™m WAY more afraid of dogs in Bloodborne, for one thing.

Itā€™s interesting, the way FROM amped up the speed and aggression in this game. Itā€™s going to take some getting used to! But Iā€™m digging this so far. Iā€™m into this victorian horror theme.

1 Like

I am at what appears to be a very strict point of no return andā€¦ the door at the top of that tower has never opened up. This prompted me to go look up what I didnā€™t stumble upon on my own andā€¦ well, itā€™d probably be easier to mention what I did stumble upon. It is funny, I thought I poked around a good amount but I missed just about every NPC or slightly hidden area. I think Iā€™ve missed three or four boss battles. I think I may have set the brightness too low, that is my excuse and I am sticking with it.

So thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing tomorrow or Friday, checking out all that I missed and am possibly over-leveled for.

Frenzy may be my least favorite mechanic in any of these games as holy fuck does it get absurd near the end. Getting near an enemy resulting in the meter filling up to max with no way to stop it beyond popping sedatives is straight unbalanced, which means there must be some counter to it I never stumbled upon.

frenzy is great (thematically)

bear in mind: it canā€™t actually kill you if youā€™re at full health. the enemies that do it are few and far between, you are expected to burn resources on them. preferably vials because theyā€™re cheaperā€¦

thereā€™s a rune that helps a lot, i forget where it is thoughā€¦

1 Like

I equipped that rune, jacked up full of sedatives, ran right up to the huge brain and took his blood rock, then died less than a second later

It actually can kill you at virtually full health, due to it also at times causing your health to start dropping while exposed to it. Trust me, I took on one of those giant brain enemies that afflict you with it and it started to drop me down from full health a few seconds before the meter filled, killing me.

Also trying to get past that giant brain was taking most of my vials each attempt, so I gave up on it.

Despite having played Bloodborne through in its entirety previously, I just discovered that thereā€™s a charge attack. Itā€™s very helpful with the extended axe.

Which reminds me of the time that I learned that itā€™s possible to jump in Dark Souls, right before finishing the game.

Thatā€™s in one of the tip messages in hunterā€™s dream I think

But despite knowing about it, I never used it except to punish very specific slow boss attacks. Iā€™ve always been mostly an R1 masher

my first playthrough of bloodborne was a lot of kirkhammer charged r2

itā€™s just really satisfying to wind that thing up long enough to clonk something onto the pavement in one hit

the animation causes your character to lose his footing for an instant from the force of the blow, itā€™s great

3 Likes

check your armor too, the regular ol hunterā€™s set has great frenzy resist

fwiw i think if it was easy to mitigate it wouldnā€™t be as cool of a getting fucked up by Forbidden Knowledge effect so i may be more ok with its implementation than most people :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Frenzy is a fantastic flavor mechanic IMO. The Winter Lanterns are kind of like the Mind Flayers in Demonā€™s, but in Demonā€™s it doesnā€™t take too long to learn to dominate them like anything else. In Bloodborne they never stop being terrifying.

I also love how on my first playthrough I only ever got brief glimpses of them. Itā€™s forbidden to stare and reckless to fight ā€“ the wise approach is to run quickly past and stay away. At a distance, they vaguely look like some kind of brain creatures and it took me until looking up their model on the wiki to fully realize what theyā€™re made of.

1 Like

I mean, with those winter lanterns (I assume that is the right name) if I hit them from as far as possible with a poison throwing knife and immediately run away it is still impossible to avoid maxing that meter out. I kinda like the giant frenzy brain thing near the end of the game as a unique take on an environmental hazard, but jeez Iā€™d really like if there was simply any way to deal with them at all even with it was very hard or limited.

there is, you just gotta freak out and murder them