Blizzard TF2

After 2 years, the corpse of a dead game and an extended closed beta that no one got access to, Overwatch is out this month on the 24th. But before that, everyone gets to play the demo open beta this week. If you pre-ordered/stole codes from Amazon, you get to play tomorrow, while everyone else gets to play on the 4th (yes, I know, Blizzard’s advertising material says the 3rd and 5th respectively but their FAQs have the 2nd and 4th for NA and midnight for London, see the handy world time map here: http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/blog/20100169/play-overwatch®-free-may-5-9-during-the-open-beta-5-1-2016). Blizzard TF2 will be on all the platforms that matter to people who sell games for money (Windows, PS4, Xbone; sorry Mac people, blame Apple) and is, as implied before, a retail game (a 40 buck game-only version on PC and a 60 buck version for all platforms with fancy digital goodies designed to make you install the Battle.net client regardless of the system you buy it for). Blizzard’s reasoning for taking your money is because of how they made the game.

Blizzard TF2 is not free to play because they want you to be able to switch to any character at any time to adapt to the other team’s tactics and also they aren’t Valve, they don’t owe you a damn thing, you’ll buy heroes for Blizzard DOTA and like it. And maybe the whole thing about future content being free for everyone because separating you playerbase with map packs is no longer in vogue.

Anyways, about the game: relatively fast paced, a bunch of movement options spread throughout the cast, no crazy fast time-to-kill and a character for everyone, regardless of skill level (trust me, I saw some people/was that bad during the 2nd stress test, the game is friendly to all).

I personally think the game is good and people should try it out and you’ll probably like it, unlike certain other games I think are good coming out this week. Talk among yourselves now about Blizzard TF2 and trade early access codes if you have them (even I have one for PC, so bug me about it).

Oh, I guess I’m in on the 4th, no one told me you could get in earlier.

I played a bit in the stress test, this game is really good.

Been itching to play this game since the stress test. I’m excited!

Pretty excited to finally play this after being the one guy on the planet passed over for every testing phase.

I was also skipped for all testing; I had to play it on a friend’s account.

A few things before I forget:

1. The beta has all of the content that the final release version has, so you can actually decide if you want to drop some money now or wait it out after this week

2. Sony just threw the beta on JPSN with no early access code needed like it was nothing

3. These fine videos:

I bought it, so I will be in tomorrow night on PC.

fuck I’m just going to pre-order this while I’m at work aren’t I

I guess this game’s pretty fun.

You make a pretty good jetset healer.

I guess the console version is playable in so much as you can play it and reasonably enjoy it

It sure would be nice if every controller from now on had paddles on the undersides

I AM LOVING THIS GAME.
Played all night
playing tomorrow
feel free to add me
we could SB up.
or not

Still trying to tell what the damage indicators are as I feel like I just get hit and don’t notice sometimes.

I keep thinking tracer has a double jump. . .

The girl-things in this game remind me of this image

but in reverse, and listening to the opposite source.

Which is to say the (female) character designs are atrocious and in very bad taste as fapbait for the worst people.

Game looks fun though.

I don’t mean this as a general criticism of objectifying women in gaming, just that Blizzard is doing it blatantly and badly and no one seems to notice or care except the people who somehow find this sexy.

It’s just cringe.

You leave Widowmaker’s hopefully still-expanding butt out of this

It’s not the butt; it’s the lordosis.

2 Likes

I still like Zarya’s design though.

My biggest gripe with this game is that the sound design as good as TF2’s. In TF2 sound would play in relation to your position and direction of the source which was important for hearing footsteps of spies and gun reports. In Overwatch I hear the voice clip for some characters ults like Pharah or Junkrat but the sound doesn’t offer any clues to the direction they’re coming from. It mostly comes down to map knowledge and awareness of the enemy teams positions.

1 Like

Having put more time in I have to say I’m still liking it. But I think just playing with randos is gonna get old fast if the general community doesn’t learn to work as a team rather than trying to treat this like a deathmatch.

Everyone seems to just run off and use the objectives as a skirmish marker. While that will happen. I often waited a moment for the team to correlate and laid down some damage, not going for kills but harassing/ buttering up, and nobody would follow through. Or I’d play as a tank and hold the line and watch people run off from the payload rather than defend it. Worst I was simply healing the Rocket lady (Phara) and the player just jetted off when someone came close and started shooting us, leaving me the healer to die, to one person. BLEH. GET UR SHIT TOGETHER SCRUBS. But the few times I hook up with people who seem to have a clue, it runs like clockwork and feels great in a way I haven’t seen any game do before.

Beyond that though I kind of wonder about the characters in this game vs TF2. Breaking down Blink doesn’t take long. I do suck with her, so I’d love to hear if anyone found the golden strategy to make her work. But her Blink works just like you’d expect, However you can’t really use it in pairing with the rewind while firing. Meaning you can’t burn your special to lay down some sick damage on one character which would seem to be the obvious conclusion. I can’t imagine that would be ‘unbalanced’ either that would be a TRICK to pull off and 5 seconds later you’d be vulnerable.
Beyond that she doesn’t have a double jump/ have the ability to to blink upwards. Meaning while she can move fast, her options aren’t as dynamic as they could be. Which really limits the options available. Especially when a lot of other characters seem to be able to get to a lot higher ground/ droping down with Tracer seems to be a missing option.
Kind of makes me wonder about the skill cap in general. So far I think reaper has the highest potential.

My friend thinks Solider 76 is unbalanced. I don’t agree but he does have a stronger case than I’d like to admit. He’s quick, sadly the run with shift is one of the better options in the game, no cool down. His heal is actually solid. The rocket blast great damage and ok push for basically no aim. But holy shit. He’s a rile in a TF2 game. Super accurate, high damage, stupid good range with a little lead he can kill widow maker at a good distance fairly quickly, reload and polish off someone else. I think he needs some tweaking. A slower reload, and more bullet spread would put him in the right place.

While characters like Bastion and DVA dont’ seem to have a lot of depth either I don’t mind as much. They have a role and boy do they fill it. Mobile turrets one who soaks damage and one that can be a point of contention for the other team. I see greater potential for the game here where characters have a super clear role with super clean controls and people work together around this.

Can anyone figure out winston? I want to like a gorilla with an overzealous tazer. But the damn thing is about double melee range? about as far as hanzo’s sword I think? and he can drop a stupid bubble? That’s it? I’m positive I’m missing something.

To @ArOne 's point about the sound design atop of character location I think the more present problem is damage detection. While this should be visual as well. I find Symmetra’s turrets have killed me as I’m standing still because I didn’t know I was taking damage. Too weird. It’s fine if i approach them from the front, I see a beam. But if they hit me from the back, I hear nothing, and that’s just not ok.

The most baffling lack in this game is the lack of characters. I would of thought they had enough, but rarely do I see a team fill out without some warning about something lacking. If nobody is palying Widowmaker you are ‘missing a sniper’ which seems silly, one character is supposed to be used every round by at least one team? Often on defense they say you need a builder. There’s two. Along with the fact it often yells that nobody is playing a healer, because who wants to play the healers in this game?

BLAH. That’s my thoughts right now. I know I’m focusing on the negative. It’s less in my mind ‘problems’ rather than where I can see this game grow.

So, wait, each character has two abilities on cooldown, one ultimate on charge, and…

one weapon?

they only have one weapon each?

I, uhh, hmm…