be my playground rumor squad

i am playing the first zelda game. ive beaten it once before, but I used a guide 100% of the time. i don’t really remember any of it. i am going to play through without a guide this time.

ive heard that zelda is the kind of game that kids would figure out together, sharing secrets and tips and stories with each other and forming their own local mythos. be my playground squad. talk to me about the game – give me tips, tell me secrets, make shit up, do whatever. take it as far as you want. give me real advice or tell me complete lies. let’s have fun!

so far ive just been running around and getting fucked up. ive found a couple of shops, and I got a candle from one of them. ive heard something about burning bushes but I haven’t been able to get one to burn yet.
one of the shops I found was selling bombs, but I’m hesitant to buy them because i dunno if it’s 1 bomb for 20 rupees or a whole stack of bombs and rupees are pretty hard to come by right now!

i haven’t even found the first dungeon dang where the heck is it

2 Likes

dodongo dislikes smoke

3 Likes

I’m trying to do this right now too but with the second quest! I was gonna make a thread like this.

The instruction manual told you where the first and second dungeons are. A lot of great hints in the manual, actually, that I don’t think anyone should be expected to figure out themselves.

1 Like

It’s a secret to everybody.

3 Likes

dang yeah I def just skipped the manual. will scope it out, ty

also I found a cave w an old woman in it who doesn’t say anything, what’s up w that? do I need to bring something to be worthy of her words

Eastmost penninsula is the secret.

3 Likes

There’s an old man that’ll have you deliver a letter to her, and then…???

This post is not spoiling anything because it’s in the manual

ah! heck yeah. i just saw “old woman’s letter” in the manual and realized what was up. thanks!

I’m playing the Japanese version and there’s no dungeon locations in the manual and I’d feel a little disingenuous if I checked the English manual — I’m gonna keep poking around and hopefully I’ll find the first dungeon

i found a cave with a lady inside that said “meet the old dude in the cemetery” so I’m on the lookout for that too

Ahh I was wondering about maps in the Japanese manual. I used the American manual and it was still plenty hard to get around, but I was literally seven years old. I think you’ll be good without maps lol

Speaking of the path to the first dungeon, when I was little, my cousin showed me one of the game boy zeldas, and as I had no idea there was a zelda series, I tried to impress him by showing him that I knew the path to the first dungeon by heart. Naturally I ended up freaked out and embarrassed as hell. That feeling that day still comes back to me sometimes.

1 Like

Each overworld screen has exactly one entrance/exit. So if you found the one dont waste time looking for more.

I do not know if that means every overworld screen has a door, but it should help with your bush burning.

The lost woods puzzle is not That hard and it is worth getting the hidden sward past it.

1 Like

yo that is all extremely helpful advice! thank you \m/

In addition to the manual, the game included a sealed partial map of the overworld.

There’s a super low res barely readable version here. If I can find my old torn up one, maybe I’ll scan it.

Make sure you bring extra money into levels 5 and 7.

And if you want to be a badass, consider leaving only one monster alive on each screen so they can send a message back to Gannon…

3 Likes

The first six dungeons are buildings with doors, no bush-burning required

1 Like

bombs on walls in dungeons

1 Like

the candle flame has to stop moving ON the bush or it wont burn

1 Like

There’s a chocolate factory hidden in the eye of level 8 in the second quest.

2 Likes

3 truths and a lie

Not all of the enemies are actually enemies.

the food is mostly useless as bait but ouy still need to buy it