baba is stuck

oh my god I just got level is baba

1 Like

oh my god

I’m really glad that I’ve been able to chip my way into the really bonkers abstract levels while only having like 90 puzzles completed total and running away from anything that has too many variables (including the world map dot level that unlocks early on) because I love when the game just shows off what it’s capable of

English Country Tune definitely hit similar heights but even that was just raw hard sokoban 80% of the time whereas this is relentless reinvention, a total delight

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a comparable homage to the super mario world special stages where the game is both congratulating you for figuring out how deep it goes and totally letting loose at the same time in a way that’s completely congruent with what came before yet maximally ambitious

it actually feels generous that it didn’t demand more than like, 50% completion to get in here either

I didn’t even solve 9 or 10 on the way to figuring out that accidentally triggering level is baba must mean that level could be flag too. it’s so demonstrative!!

3 Likes

on a purely mechanical / conceptual level this has to be one of the five or ten most impressive videogames I’ve ever played, it elevates the culture all by itself, I want to get it in front of as many people as possible

I had opposite “luck”, I solved 135 puzzles in the normal stages before I went into any of the deeper ones. I was inclined to leave roaming Baba alone after getting ORB

I have no knowledge of ORB

1 Like

Super Mario World has always been one of my favorite Marios and that’s largely due to the star world.

SMW even had a concept of the entire world changing to fall season as a reward for completing special world – that kind of thing would be extremely apt here especially if it comes with a global rule change, although I suspect I am dreaming ahead of even this game’s ambitions now

Sounds like someone finally kicked the “modular magic system” dream square in the ass!

I just found out about this list of obtuse hints for every level: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1687034266 . It looks pretty good to not waste hours trying to figure out what you aren’t noticing while also avoiding the “you cheated not only the game, but yourself” effect

8 Likes

alright I give

I am totally baffled by Fall-5 Haunt

I looked at that hint page but it didn’t help, I have no idea how to use the “is” in “leaf is defeat”

Hint 1: teleport that “is” out of there and push it next to “win”
Hint 2: Push a ghost to the right of “defeat”
Hint 3: Pushness of an entity must be deactivated first before you can push a text on top of it

Assuming I remember my baba rules correctly anyway, I have no specific memory of what I did to solve this level

ok duh. solved it in like 30 seconds. thanks!

finally playing this for real

played through every level in order up until this one in the last few weeks and was stuck on it for a day and a half wow

just cracked it though

171 cleared ama this game is so good fuck

4 Likes

I apparently forgot this was a topic.

I’ve been stuck on Floatiest Platforms for… a bit over two weeks now or so, I didn’t note the date. Granted I haven’t picked up the game in at least a week and a half, but mainly because I hit a bit of a dead end and was so very fatigued with the game. It looks like this:

I think I made a bit of a break in noticing that unlike the original version this is a remix of you can reach the words in the bottom right corner, and I played around a bit with moving the ROCK IS PUSH blocks down there. I managed to turn all the rocks into keys which… isn’t immediately helpful but is at least something. Then I ran out of energy and didn’t revisit, maybe I’ll do that next month.

oh yeeeeah i just did that, it’s a good one

do you want a hint???

1 Like

Nah, I’m sure at some point I’ll get the itch to pick it up again and I’ll figure something out. It worked for the first… 160 or so of them, surely I’ll push something somewhere and go “oh!” at some point…

4 Likes

Okay so it was only 12 days later. I picked it up earlier this afternoon and got the solution in 16 minutes (Steam timed for me).

The way they altered the puzzle for this advanced version threw me off as it brought the words at the bottom of the screen into play by widening all the base platforms. It struck me that if they are now reachable then they have to be part of the solution, as why else would you make that change unless you were just doing it to be a red herring (that type of puzzle game red herring is bad and most good puzzle games wouldn’t do it). I actually had the skeleton of the right idea early on but that other realization locked me into a too narrow mental perspective, although if I stuck with it back then I probably would have figured it out. Of course I was also burnt out as hell on the game then, so the break was both good and probably necessary.

2 Likes

i just played this for the first time last night while tripping. was an ecstatically good time though my turned-off brain was not really getting anything deeper than the basics. i got some glimpses of how great this game is, at least

1 Like

it’s so fucking great

did they ever put out more levels or whatever. or am i making up that that was gonna happen? tell you what i’ll google it later

1 Like