Avengers open beta out on PS4

That is an absolutely amazing paragraph.

I think “1000 bug fixes” sounds better to an audience who have been struggling with game breaking bugs since release, but from what I can gather the game still buggy, has new bugs (naturally), but also frees up some people to start noticing that the game’s content and game design sucks. This was particularly exacerbated by the game releasing one of the main weekly end game activities this past weekend: The Mega Hive!

The Mega Hive is single player mode in which you play 8 back to back missions that require you to rotate through only your near-level cap characters, who can only die once each. If all your characters die you have to restart the 8 missions from the beginning. And the 8 missions are just hives, an existing late-game mission type where you just play through 14 “floors” of an AIM base back to back in one mission. But since the game has so little content each floor is just playing the same missions types and maps it uses for all of the other missions in the game, so you’re not doing anything differently from what you were doing already.

People have been glitching into the The Raid over the weekend (called the AIM Cloning Lab - very imaginative) and it looks like it has some of the expected puzzle-lite elements to it, but I can’t imagine it being great overall considering the rest of the game.

Even if the game were to survive a whole year, it needs such a massive a re-conceptualization of what it is that I can’t see SE funding it for how long that would take unless the Avengers name is enough to keep it afloat.

8 Likes