Assodycreed

The official SB Assassin’s Creed Odyssey thread!

I don’t expect many of you are going to play this. I wanted to make a thread anyway because I am.

This is the game’s map:

If you look to the very north west of the map you’ll see an island called Kephallonia. That’s the starting point of the game. It took me 6 hours to explore it. So I think it’s safe to say that this game is too damn big.

Also, only after those 6 hours did I even see the title. Yes, a 6 hour prologue. So I think it’s safe to say that this game is too damn long.

Exciting!

I’m playing as the female lead, Kassandra. So far I… love her. You’re given some pretty interesting choices in the beginning and she acts them out just as interestingly. The voice actress is really good and creates a believable character.

There’s probably a lot I could say about the game. I’ll leave that for later. Next post will be screenshots because I made a bunch. Just have to find out where Uplay saves them, ugh

Post asscreed love/hate itt

paging @Mr_Mechanical You’re the only one I remember having talked about Assassin’s Creed before, back when I played… I think it was asscreed 2? Brotherhood? That might have been 2 or not or whatever. Are you going to play this game? Did you play Origins?

1 Like

It’s called Odyssey, so of course you would need years to figure out how to finish this game, i.e. get back to civilization/your homies.

Ubisoft and their best prank yet.

j/k, tbh the setting does look interesting, since i am a sucker for greek mythology, but playing this game... probably never, so i will look forward to your impressions/shenanigans
1 Like

is there anything interesting beyond just fulfilling checklists?

1 Like

I should preface this by saying that I haven’t played Origins or really any Ubisoft open world game, ever. I tried some Far Cry games but never played more than 2 hours of those. So this will seem much fresher to me than to someone who’s burnt out on these games already.

This probably will be my personal triple a videogame odyssey, yes

That’s what I’m in it for as well. I mean, I spent a fair couple of months of my life living in Athens and, basically, I want to know if Kassandra’s Greek Odyssey is as shitty and miserable as mine was!

So far the story seems legit interesting and exploration is fun. I spend a lot of time ogling the vistas and snapping pictures in photo mode. This is the kind of stuff that dragged me through FFXIV as well. And DQ11 has a lot of it too.

I explored the entire starting island because I wanted to, not because I felt compelled by checklist. I did almost everything – didn’t collect a few doodads because I’m not anal like that. I enjoyed every minute of it so far. I think what sells it for me is that I like the characters in this game. All the quest givers, you know.

There’s this one lady who wants you to retrieve a shipment of wood that got stolen by bandits. She’s kind of bossy about it, even after you agree to help her. She says something like “and now get my wood!” to you as parting words. Kassandra then turns around and you have the option to say “be patient” or “be quiet”. I did the latter and that choice had my character totally stepping to the lady and intimidate the shit out of her, like, “I’ll get your shit and now shut the fuck up about it, will you” She got scared and said something to the tune of “okay, okay, I know you’ll do it when you get to it.” I really liked that!

There’s also a town that got burnt to the ground because some kind of plague was spreading there. You arrive as some soldiers (and a priest, I think?) are about to kill the last remaining family. The problem is that they couldn’t cure this illness and killing everyone was the only option to keep it from spreading. You listen to both sides, the soldiers and the pleading family. At first I thought, of course I’ll save these people, they’re probably not even sick. But then they said something like “we’re not even that sick” and I was like hmmmm… Do I want this to spread to all of Greece and kill thousands? I actually felt conflicted and ended up letting the soldiers kill the family. They had two children. That choice felt more than rough. (the game has enough sense not to show you how they are killed, however) That had an impact on me. And add to that that the little girl who’s looking up to you was watching the whole scene and then asks you why you didn’t save them. One of the kids was her friend. I ended up explaining to her that sometimes good people die and you can’t do anything about it. I felt like that’s obviously true, especially if they were sick and would have died of that illness anyway, and at the same time like I made a horrible mistake and was just making myself feel better about it now.

So yeah, the quests can be really interesting.

This game is definitely trying to be The Witcher 3 more than anything else (should have called this thread Asswitcher Odythree)

3 Likes

Also, if you didn’t know this already (it was in the news):

assassins-creed-odyssey-zeus-580x334

You can climb all the way from Zeus’ buttcrack over his taint, up his balls and onto his rock hard cock

Your character even says something like “uhh, I probably shouldn’t climb on that” when they get near his penis. I’m assuming that’s so as to not anger the gods? Of course I did it anyway. I’ll report back on the late game repercussions of this choice

14 Likes

you can look cool like this

heavy what now :smoking:

some of the flirting that was mentioned in the news thread

all of this is on medium settings with a pretty low render resolution because I want the game to be smooth rather than pretty and my gfx card is getting old in the tooth

2 Likes

Minecraft Toups Statue vs. ZEUS Asscred (literally…) Monument:

HEAVEN OR HELL
OLYMP OR HADES, LET’S ROCK :metal:

2 Likes

to be fair, you can now claim the balls of steel… rock… award of ancient jap- i mean greece!

1 Like

yeah it seemed very clear that ubi are trying to take these games in a w3-ish direction, and the idea of a huge Witcher 3-length game without Witcher 3’s quality of tone is not an exciting prospect, but people are making it sound like they’ve gotten surprisingly close here, and it has enough unique appeal that, having also never played one of these, I’m pretty curious

But I also have no time for that much padding and I didn’t even consider playing horizon zero dawn so I’m not sure what should make this too much different.

I’m in no hurry but still hmmming

Have heard the level gating is pretty heavy handed and the double XP microtransaction is needed to get decent pacing out of the game on hard which is pretty dire

2 Likes

I read something where Stephen Totilo said the XP boost seems to be for people who won’t do sidequests, so they’re not underleveled. So I assume if you do a healthy mix of side and main quest you’ll be fine. He was also playing on hard. His complaint about difficulty was that naval battle seems too hard, and all the rest is a fair challenge. He wasn’t completely through the game at that point though. I’ll see if I can find that interview again

But yeah, from another source who only plays the main quest I also heard that they’re frustrated with the XP gating

Btw I’m not trying to get people into this game because I too think that that’s a risky proposition! The game might just suck after 6 hours, idk yet

pretty typical pacing for the series

1 Like

Honestly the only things that have ever intrigued me about these games are 1. tourism and 2. whatever weird, paramechanical way they present the dumb sci-fi frame story, which is different in every game, and always reminiscent of some kind of modern point and click adventure mishmash. I wish I didn’t have to spend so much time “playing” the games to see those second parts.

Well, I say “I wish” but I stopped wishing and started doing because I dropped the series after 4.

4 Likes

you’re actually into the modern/future day stuff? I think they cut that out almost completely these days… There is a short sequence of a woman getting into the ass machine in the beginning. That’s it. Other than that the only hints of that are that the death screen says “desynchronized” and level ups and loading terrain (when you come back from the hawk eye view) have a “computer graphics” effect.

If they make me go through elaborate modern day gameplay I’m going to scream

1 Like

Does this have the crazy Educational Mode that the last one did where you can wander around the world with no combat and NPCs give you historical facts?

2 Likes

I mean, I think I was about 9 hours into number… 3? the Colonial American one, until the big You’re A Templar Bad Dad reveal and you start controlling the actual lead and most of the systems begin unlocking and laboriously tutorialing.

I don’t think 4 was as egregious, but it was the last one I played, and all I can distinctly remember is enjoying the Sid Meier’s Pirates!ing around in the ship between the assassin’s creed bits.

it’s funny how they’ve scoped it down to the level of “the only real-world-setting videogame that feels compelled to signal it’s a videogame by having you go through a lot of elaborate tron-esque loading sequences”

2 Likes

Heyyy yeah I still play these games. I will play this one too but I have a rule with this series that I won’t start a new one until I’ve finished the previous one (the main story, at least) and I still haven’t finished Origins.

Speaking of which, I like Origins a lot. Egypt is pretty and I love how massive it is. Odyssey sounds like it’s even bigger so that’s cool with me. Odyssey was made by the team that did Asscreed Syndicate, which was the one with the brother-sister assassins in London. That was a good one, and the last one in the older style before they changed it up Origins, but I like the new things they’re cribbing from better games.

I like what I’ve seen of the dialog choices in this new one. I think each location has those kinds of rock-and-a-hard-place mini stories like you mentioned with the soldiers and the sick family. And lots of people you can sleep with that can effect how those stories play out. It’s a good direction for the series.

I don’t know when I’ll get around to Odyssey though. I’m hoping Google will let me stream it through Chrome as part of their big test thing they’re doing today but I haven’t gotten an email from them so who knows. I have no idea how far I am in Origins. I’m thinking somewhere in the middle. Also I’m still trying to get through Dragon Quest before Red Dead comes out on the 26th.