Assodycreed

make aztezs and incas games please

4 Likes

Origins got me curious about the series again, now I’m kind of itching to greek it out when I can find time. They’ve both got well tread -but not quite this scale or style- history’s mysteries + culture aesthetics.

For everything messy in 3 I still found a lot to like, after that kinda stuck with dropping the series hard! Couldn’t put myself through the same collect-twirl-parkour routine for another 25+ hours, whatever time period they wove into. They guarantee an impressive depth and ambitious spirit when not overflowing with bugs, I just got burned out.

Black Flag’s been recommended many times as a blast to play. I’m well out of touch with the numerous things they’ve grafted or lifted from other big titles that Odyssey might be a refreshing mix.

When does the boat combat-only spin off come out? That’s the real shit right there

It got delayed to 2019-2020.

1 Like

Yeah I was actually pretty invested in the way they decided to present their dumb and elaborate (and obviously continuously-retconned) alien first contact fiction through these scattered historical investigations. And again, the modern parts were always presented in formats that were essentially adventure games, though no one would call them that any more. That’s my shit.

The actual meat of the game is, in an inimitible shrugism, “a well-lubricated gameslide,” and completely meaningless aside from being able to exist inside expensively recreated historical environments, which one wishes they would use for anything other than this.

2 Likes

They’re talking about the ship.

If confirmed they’re talking about anything other than the ship consider never talking to them again???

I can almost get behind this but oh my god there’s a part where you have to do the ‘no too close, not too far’ following bullshit in a boat and that is the last time I have ever touched an Assaassin’s Creeed.

It also has Nine Men Moris and that’s a weird-ass game I enjoyed being introduced to

2 Likes

I played all of these games through Black Flag and literally the only story I cared about in the least was the crazy modern conspiracy nonsense. It was why I dropped the series after 3, as it seemed like that story wrapped itself up as well as it ever was going to.

Then I played Black Flag because everyone talked up the ship sailing.

1 Like

I’m glad I’m not alone in actually liking the wacky ancient aliens half of the plot.

I was actually a little dissapointed they never made a full modern/near future Asscreed. That was exactly where I imagined the plot going in the early days.

1 Like

Know how stupid I am?

I thought maybe the whaling minigame would be more than just that one boss battle from RE4 repeated against different Big Aquatic Prey Models.

1 Like

Here’s my Asscreed hot take:

If the series ended on #2 with a fist fight with the pope is would be so foundly remembered. Just imagine.

8 Likes

That was actually the plan for the original games. Assassin’s Creed 3 would have been a modern day story where you played as Desmond with his newly awakened Assassin powers. But when Assassin’s Creed 2 came out and Ezio was so popular they decided to go to an annual release schedule and make a trilogy out of just his story and push all the Desmond stuff in the background.

I like the modern day framework but they never managed to make it pay off. If they had kept to the original idea of just having three games and wrapping things up in the third then it would have been fine. But because they decided to put these games out every year in perpetuity it means the meta modern day story part can never actually be resolved because then that would be the end of the series as a whole. So they just emphasize it less and less with each entry until I suspect they feel comfortable enough to just jettison it completely.

It’s a neat hook for a science fiction story but unfortunately that’s all it’s been for 20 games. I’ve played all of these games and to be totally honest I cannot tell you what’s actually going on in the story beyond just the broadest strokes that everyone else already knows. The games are so huge and long there’s so much time you can potentially spend between big story beats that it all just blurs together.

I’m back on my Origins save right now and I’ve just now identified my ninth assassination target for the main quest and it’s been long enough since I last played the game that I have only the vaguest memories of the other eight targets. Because the way they pace the story is basically a series of a-to-b fetch questing where you’re constantly talking to a person who tells you to go to a location to either find an item or rescue someone or kill/beat up someone and after you do that they tell you who you need to talk to next who has a similar request and so on and so on for several people until you finally discover who your target is and then you go kill them. Cutscenes play, characters talk and gesticulate and move around each other, some random historical figure makes an appearance, maybe you pop out to the modern day bit and check your email or whatever, and then it’s back into the animus for that next quest giver or collectible bob or enemy stronghold on the horizon waiting for you to clear it all out.

Like, I remember in Syndicate I met Karl Marx and did something for him that I think may have involved blowing something up after sneaking in somewhere and there was a cool part that took place during WWI where you’re doing similar things for Winston Churchill while the digital ghost of an ancient alien who created humans talks to you but I can’t remember what anyone said or what my characters motivation really was beyond just trying to learn more about what the hell is actually going on.

So really what I’m saying is I hope Odyssey lets you fuck Socrates in a side quest for winning a philosophical argument. Try the elenchus method on this Socrates.

3 Likes

my Asscreed hot take: Ezio is garbage that is bad and also sucks + I dislike the character (that is Ezio)

p.s. have you heard about that dude, Ezio? “I am Italian and also like to fuck! sometimes I stab!” fuck and stab! that’s-a-me, Ezio!" pretty awful!

3 Likes

assume you’re getting the rough era wrong and you’re talking about the rad mission where you personally cause the Bengal famine and then laugh with ol’ Winston about it over cigars

2 Likes

Maybe? There is definitely a part where it’s WWI and Winston Churchill is there.

Oh wait maybe you’re joking. I cannot tell with this game.

edit-I googled it lol. Churchill did not like Indians very much and Ubisoft decided not to bring it up hmmm.

Churchill was compared to Hitler by contemporary colonialist british men

You know I’ve been getting the impression recently that Hitler was not as much of an outlier as I have been led to believe.

It’s almost as if Hitler would have gotten away with it all if he hadn’t done it in Europe to white people.

4 Likes

90% of the time it’s ship battles and the shanties.

"Getting to shoot off flintlock after flintlock from an 8 gun/shot upgrade to your character” tends to be the other one, which I guess sounds cool? in a Deep Action sense.

Also something about the mc being charismatic while standing apart from Ezio and the spy vs spy plot being greyer than ever but I really haven’t felt like playing this unless it was thrown in my lap

That was added in later into Origins I believe and it’s not in Odyssey yet. Don’t know if they plan to do that!