aqua vita

you could get EDF2 if you haven’t already played it to death, they added the Air Raider from EDF4

Luftrausers is real nice on Vita.
Get Luftrausers. Remember Time Pilot.
Cry.

@Ronnoc how bad is the vita SPACE HULK?

Really bad or suicide-inducing?

I only played the PC version. It’s pretty good, but there was an insane glitch where you could lose your action points for something really simple like canceling an action (I don’t remember the specifics). I assume it’s fixed by now? I don’t think you can cancel animations, but you can make them pretty fast, which is really nice in a board game adaption.

Too bad it’s not Space Hulk: Ascension, because that one would be pretty neat on a handheld, assuming they didn’t port over the stupid HUD scaling issue.

In addition to the substantial indie library, if you DO want to be like Mikey there are MANY trashy JRPGs and dungeon crawlers, and some legit good ones.

Actual good JRPGs!

• I actually really dig the Atelier games, which are heavily item/crafting focused RPGs with pretty nice static art (a little cutesy and anime style, but not overly sexualized like as lot of the “moe” games. The Vita versions are actually better than the PS3 releases, with additional content and they’re pretty well suited to portable gaming. They’re all large though (1-2 GB), and most are PSN only, so will take up a healthy chunk of a memory card.

• Persona 4 Golden is a straight up good RPG, not trash at all.

• Lost Dimension is one of my favorite games of the year. It’s by Lancarse of Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey fame. Characters are generic “serious sci-fi anime” tropes but the gameplay is sort of like Valkyria Chronicles. There’s a cool gimmick where one of your team members is random selected as a traitor and part of the gameplay is figuring out who it is.

FALCOM RPGs!!

• Ys: Memories of Celceta is also not trash if you’re into more action-RPG slashy goodness. The PSP Ys releases are also all playable on Vita, and probably better games (if you don’t want to play them on PC/Steam instead).
  • Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (and the sequel, “Second Chapter”) are PSP games by Falcom (Ys developer) and are more straight up traditional JRPGs with 2D art - EXCELLENT ones if you’re into that 90s 16/32 bit style though, think Lunar or SNES-era Square. SC was just released last month in English, so even though it’s a PSP game it came out well into the Vita’s life. The Trails games are long and all one consistent story, so you’re meant to play Trails first (there’s a cliffhanger ending) then SC.

• Falcom’s current Legend of Heroes series is called “Trails of Cold Steel” and uses 3D graphics. The first English release in the series just came out today for PS3 and Vita, and the sequel is scheduled for 2016 from Xseed.

NON-RPGs!

• Vita Hot Shots Golf is fucking great. I was addicted to it for like a year and a half. It’s still the same formula as any Hot Shots or Mario Golf game, but the course design is really good here and it just looks great on the OLED screen.

• Kind of not an RPG? If you dig Monster Hunter style action/slasher/monster hunting games, Toukiden Kiwami (basically the v1.5 release of the original game that was also released on Vita) is actually pretty good.

• If you’re in the mood for a fighter, the Vita BlazBlue releases are good ports, and the Vita d-pad is surprisingly good for fighters. Unfortunately, only Continuum Shift is cross-save compatible with the PS3 version. Chronophantasma and the newest game (Chronophantasma Extend) aren’t cross-save. If you just want the most complete BlazBlue, go with the newest one.

• Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is also a very well done port if you want a portable fighting fix.

• EDF Portable 2 is about destroying alien bugs and the series is generally fairly SB-approved. Was just released in the US in the past few weeks, and is a remake of a fan favorite PS2 entry in the series title that never got released outside of Japan in North America.

• The Metal Gear Solid HD Collection contains very well done ports of MGS2 and MGS3 (as well as bonus MSX versions of the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2), MGS2 and 3 are cross-save compatible with the PS3 version (TRANSFARRING!). If you didn’t get a chance to play Peace Walker on PSP or the PS3/360 re-release, it also plays really well on Vita.

1 Like

objection! the original edf2 got released outside japan, just not in america.

the psp version of street fighter alpha 3 is a good thing to have on your vita if you like fighting games, though if i remember correctly, i had to kind of trick the psn store into selling it to me, which is also the case for some other psp and ps1 games, apparently. i can’t remember what i had to do though.
i think it shows up as a psp game, but not a ps vita game or something?

i ordered my first ps vita cartridge earlier today, deception iv. i hope there hasn’t been some kind of horrible downturn for the series since trapt on ps2, and it’s still a good fun medieval anime home alone sim

Oh didn’t know that about EDF2! Thanks for the correction.

I disagree on Alpha 3 for one reason: the control scheme. Port is high quality, but I can’t stand a 6-button fighter on a system with 4 face buttons and 2 triggers. For that reason alone, I would always choose Guilty Gear AC, a BlazBlue, or UMvC3 - even though as a game, I prefer Alpha 3.

ah, well, i’m not good enough at fighting games for that to really matter. i just map MP/MK/HP/HK to the four face buttons and pretend the Ls don’t exist

i’m one of those freaks who mostly plays fighting games for their story (or for the way they can act as simple storytelling prompts) (although i do enjoy fighting games mechanically too, obviously.)(speaking of which, i really wish the psychic force games were on the us psn store)

The Funny Part:

I haven’t played a jrpg since I hit Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2 back-to-back on the DC almost 15 years ago.

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Now that I’ve had it for a few days, the vast majority of my vitatime has been spent playing animegame FREEDOM WARS as a pretty pretty anime princess cutting off robot limbs ;____;

I didn’t think it could happen to me.

1 Like

I really appreciate the new forum letting us know it took exactly 10 days for shrug to go full anime

5 Likes

Oh, pft, shrug can go waaaay more anime than Freedom Wars on the Vita, especially in the nebulous Hunting Game genre (my casual reminder to everyone that Sony pushed the Vita release of PSO2 as a hunting game in Japan).

shrug, let me ask you, would you be interested in fishing as an anime?

The major appeal of Freedom Wars is still cutting off robot parts and having some kind of grapple (I love grapples) which can lead directly to cutting off robot parts.

I like dressing up but the dressup game is pretty weak in this so the actual pleasures of being an anime seem limited. My enjoyment of anime fishing would probably depend a lot on outfit/color pallet choices and I doubt even a saints’ row level of dressups would make me actively want to play a fishing game.

…help

Maybe you need to buy more permits for cooler clothes.

The anime fishing game is the spiritual successor to Sega Bass Fishing but I’ll let notbov try to sell you on it.

1 Like

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2016/01/spike-chunsoft-teases-danganronpa-steam.html

Danganronpa coming out on Steam

Nearly every reason I had for buying this system is starting to evaporate

There’s a whole bunch of PS1 classic games on sale via PSN for $1-3 each right now. Breath of Fire IV, Chrono Cross, Symphony of the Night, Suikoden, etc. Also the Danganronpa games are pretty cheap as well.

The only reason I would want a Vita is for Shiren 5 Plus and I hope like crazy that Spike-Chunsoft puts it on Steam.

ha ha ha…

It’s almost inexplicable but I think I’ve spent about 10x more time playing the vita than the 3ds
Between EDF, Gravity Rush, and all the indies.

Nuclear Throne on the Vita feels reaaaaal good. Definite best version. Vlambeer released a broken game though (mass slowdown, can’t select crowns, skins or golden weapons, crashes) and I guess 1,5 years of early access made them think they could just release a patch real quick if there was a problem.

But the psn store is not steam, and here we are one month after release, still no patch.

i’d play some freedom wars