Any go players?

someday ferrets will own me

someday we will really be there

at the same time~

1 Like

my opponent was 6 kyu, he reviewed the game we had and showed me where I went wrong, it was v helpful

There was a 5 kyu guy who observed some of my games at college (not really worth playing against me). His best advice was to play lots of games fast and not ponder my moves for so long, since all that pondering only results in marginally less awful moves anyway and Iā€™ll learn faster by playing more games.

Iā€™ve already internalized that playstyle from lots of board games: You wonā€™t learn the strategy to a new game by trying to analyze all possible outcomes, better to just play poorly a number of times until you get a sense for how a game is played.

our game was on a 9x9 board so it wasnā€™t a long game for them.

If all go players are as friendly as this one was, Iā€™m kind of pleasantly surprised. Iā€™m v used to video game and other nerd-game adjacent communities being aggressive and gatekeepy (and to tell the truth I avoided playing go online for so long under the assumption that the community would be like that)

1 Like

my strategy is to play a bunch of games every few months barely thinking the whole time and taking long break in between losing whatever tiny bit of progress I make ever so as to remain forever at 17 billion kyu

2 Likes

The club I play at is generally super nice. The dan level players there are all happy to play teaching games and review me and generally point out what I did right, and itā€™s encouraging

1 Like

I think the Go community is not mainly teenagers

1 Like

Thereā€™s a guy I play with at a cafe whoā€™s more than likely over 70

I got owned by ferrets then she gave me a nice lecture on not totally boning up your corner invasion

2 Likes

Welp, now that everyone has been owned weā€™ll never see ferrets again ;_;7

1 Like

I havenā€™t been owned by ferrets yet!

Hereā€™s your chance for redemption because Iā€™m ready to go again

unfortunately I have to head out soon so I canā€™t do another game until later tonight or tomorrow.

I gave him a ride today because we were the only two people who showed up. He invited me to hang out on Thursday and just play with each other. It was really surreal, I never thought Iā€™d be making friends with a 76 year old man

I guess the game has no boundaries of age

3 Likes

@doolittle recommended Cribbage With Grandpas which I got for me wife, who grew up tending her familyā€™s small-town pharmacy/ice cream parlor. A place like that has a regular crowd of a dozen olds who hang out, complain that the 25c-coffee is too expensive, and hassle each other.

She can only play it for a short period before she starts crying

I finally owned Tulpa but it was pretty close.

1 Like

close + owned = cloned

I need to start playing more ranked games. Sometimes it feels like I only win when I play non-ranked and I only lose when I play ranked

Go is a game I wanted to learn for years.

I learned it wrong 3 times so farā€¦

where have the Go senseis gone?

I should have some time today to play some Go if anyone is down.