Any go players?

I play a lot of go/weiqi/baduk. I go to a club meetup in the city on weekends but I’m always looking for friends to play with online. I’m on OGS as ferrets, usually. I also use KGS but not as often.

Feel free to add me for any games
I’m only ~15 kyu right now, so I’m not good or anything

I really suck and haven’t played a full game in years but sure I’m willing to lose a lot until I don’t suck

1 Like

I am either zero kyu or ∞ kyu depending on which way it counts. But likewise to what Tulp said.

1 Like

i suck and i forget how to play but the game makes my brain feel weird and good. down to play

1 Like

Ok I made an account on OGS, my name is Tulpa on there. I sent a friend request to ferrets

attn: @shrug play go online with us

1 Like

no I am too bad I am 900 kyu

Cool, y’all can send an FR on OGS and I’ll likely see it quickly

OK I’m shrug on OGS now

why can’t I opt in as 5 billion kyu?

I just went into ferrets and tulpa’s game record hours after it was over and insulted them in the chat which seems like a weird feature

3 Likes

Oh no, you got to see the dozen awful mistakes I made

It’s cool I just played my first game and basically panic resigned after missing everything forever and it was only a 9x9?!

Maybe I’m more like 6 billion kyu.

I made an account, just need to find time. I have the same name I have on here. I hope to play soon.

1 Like

I got owned by A Tulpa

the only way to win is to make incomprehensibly bad moves that prove valuable much later while you’re busy building something pretty in the center

I played a couple hundred games with friends in college and even bought a few strategy books. I always liked it more than chess – Go feels open and free and almost every move gains you territory (just some more than others), whereas in chess you’re stuck behind your own pieces all the time and sometimes it’s hard to find a single move that visibly improves your position. The Go vs Chess argument often takes the form of arguing which game is deeper and more elegant, but for me as a casual player approaching them as I do videogames, this psychology of productive exploration vs claustrophobic ineffectualness is the real difference.

As for playing it, I wanted to get into it again after the AlphaGo hype and tried finding an online client, but was baffled by how many there are, how clunky they are, how the matchmaking might work, and how many are Asian-focused. I tried to get an iPad app which I think would be much cozier than a PC, but I couldn’t find an English one. Any recommendation?

3 Likes

I should play more of it. I will try to get in on this at some point.

1 Like

I deleted most of the games on my phone and downloaded ‘reversi’. Is that the same as Go?

PandaGo is a KGS client and it has a pretty good mobile app, but I think you have to pay $5 or something (worth it imo).

I got owned by a Tulpa again

Then I watched him get owned.

I think his opponent was using Toad Style.

1 Like