Action Cinema 2020 - 2029

“Mission: Impossible 7” had been about to start in Venice, but filming was pushed back after Italy was hit hard by the coronavirus. Much of the movie is said to unspool in the European country, making it difficult for the production to move shooting elsewhere.

Other major movies were fairly far along when the virus began to intensify. “The Matrix 4” had finished shooting in San Francisco and was about to begin production in Berlin, “The Batman” had completed nearly seven weeks of filming in London, and “Red Notice” had been in the works for two months in Atlanta. There’s an outside chance these films might even make their original release dates, although it is more likely they will be moved back.

Development slates at the studios are also in flux. Most executives don’t expect things to get back to normal for several weeks, though a few are taking video and phone meetings as they try to game out films they hope to greenlight in the next 12 months. Director George Miller, for instance, has been meeting with names including Anya Taylor-Joy for his “Furiosa” spin-off, which he hopes to start shooting in 2021.

Of course, Miller is making concessions to coronavirus — those auditions have taken place via Skype.

man there are a handful of really solid and creative takes in this like the camera zooming into the skidding car or the one take jump off the roof that let you know this was directed by a stunt coordinator (the captain america elevator fight guy)

the other way you can tell it was directed by a stunt coordinator is because the protagonist is an operator with an undercut and aviator glasses, who is chill but serious

5 Likes

that’s just

movies

now

I mean the Men’s Adventure Fiction trope of Current-or-Ex-Special Operations Motherfucker protagonist became increasingly de rigueur for action movies through the 80s/90s until the protracted War on Terror gave a concrete, recent anchor point for them to hook the archetype to/use as a more specific basis.

Meanwhile there’s a lot more of these dudes around and public and willing to consult on your mid-budget military action production and there’s a whole internet full of keyboard verisimilitude arbiters ready to push their glasses up their nose and write 2000 words to reddit about how the following five details of the weapon handling took them completely out of the movie.

5 Likes

it is so wild that even though ‘find a basically handsome but goofy guy from a sitcom and turn him into a shredded action maniac’ is the current trend for casting action movies, the ultimate archetype for all these guys is a totally bland slab granite with sunglasses and an expensive haircut. it’s so depressing. jim from the office transforming into tom clancy’s avatar of death is a symbol of our era. i caught a random clip from beverly hills cop on youtube the other day and it just made me depressed. i mean i know eddie murphy is kind of one of a kind but if any of these chris pratt looking mother fuckers had like an ounce of his talent/attitude movies wouldn’t be so fuckin boring these days

edit: just realized where our timeline diverged. we have somehow forgotten that the judge reinhold character in beverly hills cop is supposed to be the square dork in the buddy equation, not the hero.

5 Likes

and yet, the guy most likely to be a weird libertarian with fantasies of violently murdering people through extralegal means and then becoming president is definitely Kinda Cute Smirky Guy At The Office Who Harasses The Engaged Front Desk Lady Until She Marries Him

8 Likes

judge reinhold the person would make a better comedic action star than the judge reinhold archetype

“i’m on medicine that makes me unable to not sass cops” is a mood

4 Likes

I want to make sure everybody knows I know they know how much I’m owning myself with this statement

4 Likes

It’s so cliche it’s getting kind of boring though isn’t it

Like we got Heat and Spartan and Haywire and it’s like, they’re not going to get any better than this, are they. Time to go back to Woo again or something

I guess this is what the action DTV renaissance is for, but somehow there seem to be fewer of those now that Netflix has invaded the space

they should make Haywire again but just drop all the pretenses and have it be about Gina Carano killing guys for 90 minutes straight instead of whatever half that movie is

EdnTIY9WAAEe_hG

7 Likes

that would look great next to my max payne statue

4 Likes

This film was 90 glorious minutes of Cockney goons getting fixed

jackie chan is making another police story movie

at first this sounds cool, but then you think about what jackie chan making a movie about heroic hong kong cops is gonna look like in 2022

7 Likes

i wish this was set in the world of the original movies instead of yet another gritty reboot like police story '04 and '13 but i’m not holding out hope

2 Likes

feel like pure shit just want him back

( if you feel like revisiting this amazing scene from the original police story i feel i need to warn you that the jokes in the dialogue are ridiculously tasteless, but the slapstick holds up)

9 Likes

Isn’t Jackie Chan like 95 years old

did anyone catch that weird movie from this year where he fights schwarzenegger and they both have outageous mustaches and also rutger hauer is there? i still haven’t watched it. it feels one of those things where a weird billionaire got them for a couple days to film a scene and just inserted it into a movie franchise to make it more internationally sellable and it has 18% on rotten tomatoes so it sounds exactly like my shit

7 Likes
3 Likes