action cinema 2010 - 2019

4 Likes

I donā€™t know if it was already mentioned in this thread but RE:BORN looks fresh as hell and iā€™m mad Iā€™m years late to the party

just gave myself a headache imagining trying to write something about terminator dark fate, along the lines of the ā€˜die hardā€™ thing wherein you discuss the ways action movies of a certain type are really about filming people or objects moving through various man made environments in unintended ways, something that has been present in the best terminator movies too in a really different way, but that in terminator dark fate the ā€˜architectureā€™ is the us/mexico border

honestly an underrated movie folks

5 Likes

Itā€™s very good despite the action being not particularly great which sounds pretty bad for a terminator movie but itā€™s still good anyway, I donā€™t know how to explain it better sorry. A u.s. concentration camp guard tells a terminator ā€œthank you for your serviceā€

5 Likes

I get what you mean and agree 100%. There are some ok action sequences but it all kind of gets mushy towards the end. The dam sequence could have been way better but itā€™s basically just a CGI rainstorm.

I like the car chase in the beginning, it doesnā€™t hold up to anything in the earlier terminator movies but I think itā€™s still pretty exciting to watch. I would need to see it again to be sure but the entire sequence at the border checkpoint felt pretty well put together at the time.

Also - ā€œpretty bad for a terminator movieā€ basically means pretty bad compared to 1/3 of terminator movies at this point, which isā€¦ sad to say. Nothing of interest at all in Salvation or Genisys iirc. I still think 3 is, uh, the third best I guess? This one might be better than 3 though.

1 Like

Iā€™m about 18 minutes into Dark Fate. Mackenzie Davis is Very Good but it seems like this is the first time they have two Opposing Robot or Robot-Adjacent Beings that are explicitly of the Agile Subtype with no Plodding Tank to force whomever to pace things out a certain way. T2 is a classic because of its stately master shots and the way the physicality of the (meat or metal) characters dictated its pace through its environments. Here the Deadpool guy is like ā€œIā€™m gonna throw all the VFX juice I can into making these two combatants do shit you have never seen two opposing Termibots do to one another! All the prop gags! All the Impossible Feats of Strength/Agility! All at Max Speed!ā€ and I want to call him up to ask if heā€™s ever heard of shooting a master so I know where everybody is between the Sick As Hell Keyframes.

Thereā€™s 7-8 shots devoted to the plow/dump truck going through wall and ramming a police car and getting onto the road behind Our Heroes but none of them contain more than a fragment of The Gag and the key vehicle is only in like half of them and I just

should probably go back to bed

1 Like

part of being diagnosed with adult ADHD has been learning this contributes to why I am v. weird about Editing

probably the most important part tbh

1 Like

As another adult ADHDer, Iā€™d love to hear you elaborate more on this because itā€™s definitely true that I watch movies atypically.

iā€™m ā€˜borderline adhdā€™ (which i continually question) but i guess i also smoke enough weed that even the editing of bohemian rhapsody didnā€™t send me into fits like it did w/ film twitter et al

shrug how do you feel about resident evil: the final chapter? (its editing is scorchingly frantic but it probably manages to continually establish things enough so that you never feel youā€™re losing grip on whatā€™s happening.)

edit: evidently i am evangelizing the final chapter itt. it deserves it.

1 Like

bohemian rhapsodyā€™s editing stuck out so much to me because frantic editing is a legit stylistic choice, like look at the tony scotts and michael bays and paul w.s. andersons of the world. except in that movie absolutely fucking Nothing is happening but its cutting around constantly anyway to the extent that it becomes the focus of the scene and is overall detrimental to the film. if a movie loses me because of how its edited, its the first thing i identify. but i also probably have adhd anyway because drugs are the only thing that makes me focus so ???

yeah, i mean, thatā€™s what literally everyone was saying and i never really felt it while watching the movie idk

(i didnā€™t love the movie, but its editing didnā€™t bug me like it bugged everyone else, i guessā€¦!)

my dad made me go see batman v superman in theaters with him and besides being a huge piece of shit I couldnā€™t get over the fact that there appeared to be approximately 0 establishing shots in the entire movie

the final chapter never got the love 4 and 5 got. iā€™m not sure it holds up to their level, but itā€™s still a really good one. i think i liked it more when i rewatched it.

me too.

afterlife is my fav by a long way, the one film that feels directly informed by how videogames use 3d spaces.

1 Like

firefox_2020-01-21_15-47-48
thanks amazon, very cool!

it freaks me out a bit, but iā€™ve been told $14.88 is a typical discount price for some reasonā€¦?