A Retarius draws near. Commander? [An EDF Vth Wing Diver Logbook]

A long, long time ago, a wise man said:

And another wise man said:

… so, i heed both men’s advice and enlisted for participating in the next war.

Where are YOU in this dangerous time, when your local EDF base needs you?
Join the EDF today, and meet friends for your short life that remains.

EDF!!

2 Likes

FUCK I forgot this was coming out soon and didn’t add it my Christmas wish list. And I already bought something for myself. Aughhhhh.

1 Like

Yo guys tell me why I need to make this game my first EDF game

Y’all know me, is this game worth it for me?

Have played the first two missions so far, and… idk, if that’d be your first contact with the series, you would be left wondering what the hell this game is all about.
Otoh, if you know the series, you can enjoy the wonderful hamfisted way they set up the premises for what’s to come, and i enjoyed that more for its C-movie plot than anything, so… i’ll check back when i have had the time to get to stage 10 or so.

1 Like

I think I’d play another EDF if the weapon / HP boxes were removed and you’d just get upgrades automatically

As is , my unpleasant memories of spending half my playtime looking for boxes are too vivid

Yeah I don’t know if this game is for me right now. It’s cool but I’ve got too much on my plate anyway right now

The EDF series died for me with 4 when they replaced the magical ps2 physics with havoc physics. The walk animation alone felt too heavy and weird. Also the ants started goring individual screaming pedestrians iirc.

1 Like

Seems as solid a jumping-on point as one could reasonably hope for- it’s a reboot taking place before the events of the previous games, and there’s some quality-of-life improvements versus 4(.1). The lyrics to the battle hymn of the EDF, however, have been dropped from the chat.

1 Like

EDF is always hard to get into until you start to unlock goofy weapons imo. When you just have like, a shotgun and then you unlock just a rocket launcher, it’s a little, ’ What’s the deal with these game’s fans?’

2 Likes

Case in point and I’m pretty sure I told this story before, but me and my friend spent a good 10 minutes with him shooting off 100/sec unguided metal splinters into the air with me spotting about half the radar distance away. Or him equipping a giant ass missile requiring my laser sight to slowly bumble its way to King Boss Spider and Asshole Wasp Queen, sending them cartwheeling helplessly for 15 seconds. That actually was our key strategy for that mission where all our previous plans failed!

3 Likes

this was me before 4 came out. i saw there would be 2 new classes, new engine with 3d boxes instead of sprites, online play, and recalled insect armageddon and was like “there’s no way sandlot won’t fuck this up”. then it came out and it owned.
as did 4.1.
and 5.

i should be tired of these dumb games because i’ve been playing them for a decade now but apparently sandlot can do no wrong

3 Likes

I played through this about a year ago and the thing I remember most vividly is the inclusion of the giants from Zangeki no Reginleiv as frog people. Which means there’s now some gory dismemberment to be done and that is the most viscerally fun shooting I’ve seen since, I dunno, Soldier of Fortune maybe (the first one).

3 Likes

that is very high praise in my book!

In my experience, unlocking the goofy weapons is actually making it harder to get into- I feel like I should be reveling in the chance to use the motorbikes and ball-bearing proximity mines and so forth, but part of me just wants to stick with the plain ol’ machine gun + bazooka because all the interesting stuff seems so inefficient and/or difficult to master.

1 Like

In general the more boring stuff is better, yeah. It’s a weird series.

1 Like

Ok so uh, who actually has 5? Post your PSN and it’ll be cool to play together

So!
Since this is a wingdiver logbook, of course i’d start with a Ranger.

I fought my way up to mission 10 to grind for some health, ammo and get a feel for the new locations.

And yes, jodeaux, if i have more time than just a burst of 20 minutes before i fall asleep, we can waltz them aliens to death!
1 Like

Checking back in:

Have the aliens decided to withdraw?
Well,… kinda not. But!

Gotta love the honking great honking mechanics in this game, there’s nothing like honking at red ants and (literally)! doing a drive-by.

EDF!

… gosh, almost forgot how good this game is to relax after a long, hard day at work.

4 Likes

This game is half price for the weekend. I am tempted to get it, even though I am not done with 4.1 yet. I am a little wary of the idea of starting over from scratch. But the screenshots in this thread look nice.

1 Like