a madman and his legal pads (the tom fontana thread)

im rewatching this show and im pretty sure its my favorite hbo show ever, it was the first time they tried doing a show for an hour long and its devotion to theatrics and melodrama while staying incredibly grim as fuck works so goddamn well. augustus hills mini monologues each episode are amazing

every time they get in the imagination box they run wild

but the only thning i hear people talking about is the gay shit, which theres tons of, and its not all pretty, but its so fucking VARIED for the 90s. it has some fucking shitty trappings sometimes but for the most part they handle everything really well, like even when its melodramatic and over the top it works as a metaphor. the biggest thing that bugs me is how people who are in charge take the top bunk and no bitches get the top bunk! it sucks! but yes, you get to see a ton of hanging dong, you dont get clothes in the hole itd be stupid to hide the pee pee. this isnt metal gear solid 2. deep down though this show absolutely understands that the only good prison is one burnt to the fucking ground. im just saying, its fucking violent, its about racial tension in prisons half the fucking time, its not for the faint of heart i guess, content warning and all that

adebesi is my favorite character. like ive SEEN this show before and every time he does another psycho plot for a can of fruit or a snort of tits he pretends like hes getting better and i almost BELIEVE HIM EVERY TIME
he also drips style WITHIN the prison, he gets a new stupid fashion idea every episode. in season three hes wearing a long bumblebee sock and a shorter argyle sock

theres a part of the show where he goes to a mental hospital and while hes nice he has lots and lots of yarn bracelets on his arms but as he goes back to his old ways he slowly removes them until hes completely back to his old ways

everyones always like how does he keep his hat on his head (he said it was like velcro, that he could do a cartwheel and it wouldn’t come off. it just sticks to his head, and it gets more and more like, BOLD about just how well it sticks to his head, like in the first season hes almost wearing it but in the fourth its just sagging off to the side defiantly). anyway the question is how can he stand to roll his fucking socks in season 1 and 2 halfaway up to the arch of his foot that would make me WRETCH and TWITCH and DIE.

one of my favorite things about it is how damning the show is of neoliberalism. about how empty the platitudes and tiny rights we give to prisoners are, aobvut how anyone who works with the system to keep people getting arrested and put in prison is not working for a system for humans. it also will give you a tiny inch of happiness and rip it all away. like the show averages 2 deaths an episode, if you count flashback deaths its like five. speaking to the proto neoliberalism we’re on season 3 and the FORWARD THINKING prison unit manager sips down his most clintonian brain worms and decides to have the 8 groups hes decided represent the prison population by choosing an ambassador for each to have meetings where they vote on which crumbs they recieve that week

in season 3 they get the inspired idea to have these factions all box eachother. the only person on the show who actually had boxing experience was the dude who played chucky, he was also one of the only two cast members who had actually been to prison (along with poet, who wrote all the poetry himself that he recites on the show)

chucky’s actor was an ex hell’s angel in real life and tried out for the biker gang faction on the show but he had such a thick new york accent and looks like this so they were like AY YOU’RE A PAISAN NOW. i think the boxing in season 3 is the most boring shit ever but its really funny to watch and see how much better this guy is at boxing than everyone else even though in his fight he gets drugged to shit

i have so much to gush about this show so i guess ill just keep posting as im watching it. i keep screaming at veronica to take screencaps and shit so i can post them but she should just post some too. this show is too good to languish in the night thread

17 Likes

I love Oz. It’s like poetry.

13 Likes

going to make a really twee fancam of Adebisi with daphny soon but I just love this shot of him holding a carton labeled “POISON”

3 Likes

also theres tons of actors from other hbo shows and cop shit in this. its really funny to see them in other things and think of how its their life after oz. like seth gilliam is a shitty rookie CO and he keeps fucking up and i keep saying ‘maybe you’ll be better off in baltimore’

2 Likes

adbesi having casual conversations with EVERYONE in that scene while holding a carton labeled POISON and then playing dumb after using it in the candy bar, JUST SO TRANSPARENTLY EVIL ALWAYS

1 Like

beecher becomes a reporter and goes to Iraq after he gets out of prison, and I watched a mark wahlberg movie called mile 22 where mcmanus is still a clintonian middle manager freak but for the not-CIA now

1 Like

discovering this show in the late slots on channel 4 in the 90s was a little mindblowing, i will fully endorse all gushing uih, very much the beginning of my HBO brand awareness i suppose

6 Likes

yeah it was their first swing and its so fucking ambitious and theatrical. i always forget its completely on purpose until i remember that the last fucking episode is called fucking EXEUNT OMNES

2 Likes

it’s also maybe the HBO show with the strongest authorial voice I think because tom fontana wrote every episode, which isn’t the case for the beloved shows like the wire or the sopranos

1 Like

had no idea that PRESTON BROADUS was in Oz

yeah thats tom fontana getting that fuckign oz tattoo in the opening credits! the man was fucking dedicated. they had to keep stopping the work so the crew could get good shots and eventually the artist was like WE CANT LET HIM KEEP BLEEDING

2 Likes

yeah he has an amazingly tragic arc. they try to save him so many times. poor kenny, i mean bricks! bricks i mean bricks!

1 Like

Also this show hates Nazis so vigorously that I cannot help but respect it. Every single character hates them and daphny pointed out that only 3 people in the entire show pronounce the head of the Aryan brotherhoods name right everyone else is trying to piss him off

Additionally for a 90s show it seems to understand how shitty and unfair everyone is to Muslims, like woke tim mcmanus takes away their fucking prayer mats in the first season and nobody gives a shit lol

1 Like

yeah the only religious freedoms the guards ever take away are the muslims

ive talked a lot about how adebesi is a big time evil plotting genius but the nefarious plots of schilinger (jk simmons) and his nazi fucks are the most evil things imaginable. the show saves ALL the worst deeds for the nazis

1 Like

oh yeah and in case you thought separating all the racial groups (picked by a white guy) and then making them box eachother would ease tensions and make people LESS racist, you were wrong! congratulations you’re mcmanus pilled! fix yourself!

its funny that two of the stars of this show did insurance commercials. guess its hard to find work after murdering 20 people in prison

4 Likes

9 Likes

1 Like

this episode has one of the best augustus tells you the lessons from a box motifs

9 Likes

6 Likes

WHY HAVE I SEEN ADEBESI EAT THE WHOLE FUCKING ORANGE PEEL AND ALL TWICE NOW. STOP!!

1 Like