๐Ÿ’‡โ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿ’„ ~ a e s t h e t i c s ~ ๐Ÿ’…๐Ÿ’ˆ

Ah, dang, I didnโ€™t see this two weeks ago. I started using electric shavers/epilators three years ago because my dyspraxia/arthritis had gotten to where I cut myself with razors far too often.

As far as shavers go, I have used a Remington F5-5800, a Braun Series 7, a Braun Series 9, and a Philips Norelco OneBlade.

The Remington is definitely the best bang-for-buck. The Brauns are just not three-to-five times better. The cleaning/charging docks are certainly convenient (especially if you have executive dysfunction - donโ€™t fall into a loop of โ€œI should shave -> I should clean my razor first -> Iโ€™ll do it laterโ€). Beyond that, I donโ€™t think the Series 7 foil is that large of an improvement, and the cost of the Series 9 makes it hard to recommend.

But this is a place where I am sensitive to the small improvements so I extreme couponโ€™d my way into the Series 9. It is still not perfect, but it leaves the least irritation while also getting the closest. I have some white facial hairs that are much thicker than the rest and the Series 9 is the only one that could consistently cut them.

The OneBlade is a different kind of electrified razor - itโ€™s a thin cutting blade the size of a standard cartridge razor, but with trimming edges on either side vertically. This is great for trimming a few days of growth on facial hair or body hair (some models come with guards and combs for this purpose). It can consistently give the appearance of a smooth and complete shave and never irritates my skin, but it doesnโ€™t cut as close as the foil shavers, which themselves donโ€™t cut as close as a cartridge or safety razor. If I havenโ€™t shaved in a few days, I use it to get 90% of the way there and finish with the foil shaver. I also use it with a comb/guard for body hair.

I canโ€™t speak to a rotary, unfortunately, but maybe you can try the OneBlade as itโ€™s relatively inexpensive.

3 Likes