5 games that give a feel of who you are.

I did this once, like ten years ago! I was gonna do it again, but then it turned out to be too much work.

Speaking of too much work, I was gonna find that thread, but never mind. Have this one instead.

Edit: n/m; found it after all:

3 Likes

Man HL2 wouldn’t even be top 25 any more I bet.

It’d still be on MY list.

Torment being one of only like three non Japanese games is so typical and it’s not even that fantastic

God that 2007 list is so normie.

5 Likes

yeah

to be fair though I couldn’t come up with any good answers besides God Hand and Katamari Damacy, so I guess I have learned nothing in the past 10 years

1 Like

sometimes normies are right

3 Likes

i can’t argue against that! and nothing’s wrong with being normie. but also, i’m glad that we’ve broadened our collective horizons since then. Still, like 4 of those almost made my list.

It’s inherent to lists that rank by number of mentions that they’re normie. That’s how normal distributions work. Would happen no matter how eclectic the tastes of the community. Of course you see that in the Oscars for example, but I’ve also noticed a similar pattern in “top 10 novels of the year” lists from groups of very widely read book critics.

1 Like

Normie distribution

Normie limit theorem

(Reading that Wikipedia article again, that’s not exactly the right concept for this situation though. Tempted to go on Wikipedia hunt for the actually appropriate statistical concept but that might suck me in for a bit.)

3 Likes

Game mechanics that blah blah blah:

• The setting in the DC version of SF3 Double Impact that lets you run the game at 8x slo mo to get your timings right and build up

you’re not even that fantastic!

This must be months before LSD got ripped.

1 Like

the lsd thread was one of the first things I saw at selectbutton so I doubt that

1 Like

even then, havin Ikaruga, God Hand, Killer7 and Bangai-O in that list is not so common… You’d expect “normal” people would cancel out the weirdo oddball choices even among us, or at least make them be less pronounced. Bangai-O almost in top 10 is unusual, I’d thought. Even for a community like us here… doesn’t help that i am pretty sure that I put Katamari, Ikaruga, R-TYPE FINAL and ESPgaluda in that list, which aren’t exactly what people around here have even heard of. And that’s not down to eclectic taste grooming, but rather insignificance of those titles on local market back then…

… speaking of oddball choices, I’d wonder what would make our lists today. Isn’t there some tool out there that would make it easier to calculate this automatically and make it easier to do these kind of things by now?

1 Like

I feel like there’s probably a way to do this with some Google apparatus, but I’m not sure I can pull it off, myself.

I’m working on it right now, fyi.

2 Likes

That’s good, because I was trying to add up the results from this thread and we’re too busy being iconoclasts to get much common ground from these lists. I’m halfway through and the only game I’ve seen get three votes so far is Killer 7, but there’s like eight games reaching two votes each:

Gitaroo-Man x2
God Hand x2
K&L Dog Days x2
Katamari Damacy x2
Night in the Woods x2
Panzer Dragoon Zwei x2
Rez x2
SH4 x2

Anyway, "pick five games to describe yourself’ is a terrible way to build a consensus list anyway.

Here’s basically everything that’s gotten more than one mention so far:

5 Mentions

Earthbound
Katamari Damacy

4 Mentions

Killer 7
Metal Gear Solid 2

3 Mentions

Ico
Kane & Lynch 2
Night in The Woods
Quake
Shin Megami Tensei 3
Silent Hill 2

2 Mentions

Animal Crossing New Leaf
Dark Souls
Demon’s Souls
Devil May Cry 3
F-Zero GX
Final Fantasy VI
Gitaroo Man
Journey
Majora’s Mask
Metal Gear Solid 3
Morrowind
Mother 3
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Papers, Please
Rez
Riven
Shadow of the Colossus
Silent Hill 4
Sim Ant
Space Funeral
Super Mario Land 2
The Last of Us
World of Warcraft

In total, approximately 275 games have been mentioned ITT so far, meaning about 88% of the titles people have named off are unique. Aren’t we special?

I included most joke lists in the tally, but that only affected Sim Ant AFAICT. Likewise, I didn’t care if people had lists that exceeded 5 games, or if they submitted multiple lists. (However, I didn’t include runner-ups, because ???)

Spreadsheet (view-only)

Technical Notes

The raw data is in the third sheet, first column only. I put the poster associated with each list in the second column, but that doesn’t affect anything. It just makes it easier for y’all to see if I mis-entered your data.

The second sheet contains the calculator that picks out each unique name and counts them up. I… don’t really have a good idea how it works. I just copied the code in cell A1 from somebody who made a similar sheet, and messed with it until it worked well enough for our purposes. (I don’t know why it produces a busted ‘count’ column.) The code also throws the capitalization through a wood-chipper, so anything with roman numerals or articles or anything weird ends up looking busted.

The first sheet contains the actual results, because I couldn’t get sorting to work on the second sheet.

7 Likes

This list, especially the titles only mentioned once, reads quite well actually.

Outrun, Pac Land, DDR, Ecco, Einhander, Pilotwings, Sexy Parodius, GG, Super Tux Kart…
almost makes you think we’re trying to sound better than we actually are!

Cool to see that we actually can be as eccentric as suggested sometimes, and not just because of odd mITX builds by @Felix, Dess’ Admirers, Yakuza Apprentices, Pokeman Turbo Championship Korean Secret Association Trainers, 50% of the installed Winphone base worldwide, the Kult of the GodHand, Club of the Sun Praisers, Fading Brakelight Drifters, Minecraft Penis connoisseurs, Ozzi Outrun Chiptuners (from Hell), Toups Roadies et al.

8 Likes