5 games that give a feel of who you are.

shit i shoulda put la mulana as one of mine oh my god it hasnt even been 24 hours and i wanna revise this silly list

Yeah more than anything this is what i love about it. i’ve always loved its wild mechanics but what really makes it special is that it has a heart that so much of NIS’s other stuff lacks (though tbf i still love that stuff). turns out making the edgelord a world-weary sidekick to an absolute sweetheart is MUCH more interesting than a funny power fantasy edgelord for teens

2 Likes

me too then, if some stuff is the same in different list places it means NOTHING

1. Godzilla (PS4) Still the best feeling play as a kaiju game where you destroy cities. Sadly tiny genre:

2. R.A.D. Robotic Alchemic Drive: Absolute funnest way to control a giant robot, and the camera gimmick is a hoot

3. Minecraft: Cube

4. im too high right now

9 Likes

Yeah I guess a lot has changed for me in the past 5 years I am not sure I feel this way about any of these, anymore.

4 Likes

hi (:

1|morrowind (PC, 2002)
2|quake iii (PC, 1999)
3|sonic adventure (Dreamcast, 1999)
4|metal gear solid 2 (PS2, 2001)
5|shenmue 2 (Dreamcast, 2001)

i like a good cup o coffee and a sit down

11 Likes

Minesweeper or more generally Simon Tatham’s Puzzle Collection - what is a man but a miserable pile of mild timewasters, infinitely generated into the void
The Last Express - because you can finish it in a couple of hours, respecting your time and schedule. also who doesn’t like sleepers
Sid Meier’s Civilization II - every day is we love the despot day
Rez - love that big beat
Super Bomberman or Doom II MAP07 deathmatch first to 99 - let’s blow each other up and be friends

10 Likes

been getting really into Slant lately

1 Like

I have no idea why i picked most of these. I guess not even i know who i am

6 Likes

I think I’ve settled on liking max payne 2 the best

3 Likes

Kiss: Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child

6 Likes

Yesssss

Soul Reaver: Legacy of Kain
Machinarium
Digimon World 2003
Hotline Miami
Planescape: Torment

18 Likes

:neko:

I love every time a new poster comes to this thread!

11 Likes

this is the real introduce yourself thread

12 Likes

the formative ones:

• Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Riven
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Guild Wars
  • Portal

protagonist games with aesthetically interesting worlds and spatially revealing interactions

7 Likes

posted here like a year ago then deleted out of embarassment, time for a 2eme go

• Yume Nikki (2004) - magical thinking. haunted software
  • Hello Charlotte EP3 (2018) - great game, associated w/ personal embarassment & immaturity for me while also speaking to the same more clearly & maturely than i can… Scarlett is literally me
  • I’m Scared of Girls (2011) - game design as impulse mindscape… workings of consciousness… the only yume nikki-inspired game i will accept in part bc its format doesn’t resemble yume nikki at all
  • Pathologic (2005) - i don’t read books so this was my infinite jest in high school. i have literally several yn crossover fics with multiple protagonists & Weighty dialogue & metafiction & theatrical framing devices for no good reason
  • Omori (2020) - i’ve only played 2 hours of this & don’t think i will ever finish it bc a) i hate JRPGs and b) by all accounts that i trust the story is pretty bad. more represents a specific kind of ““media”” that continues to exert wistful pull on me (see also tumblr, anime, jrpgs, broadway musicals, fanart, fansongs, animatic memes, film/tv scoring, etc.) the promise i guess more than anything of youthful bombast & group identification+frothing & a possibly cultivated idea of openhearted pop sentimentality, even if im mostly disconnected from the media or communities in question. i still think about the omoriburger ad every now and then

all of these are from 2004 or later & four of them are rpgmakers which i think cements me as definitely still a teenager

16 Likes

The friends of Ringo Ishikawa - A perfect game contain well what I did everyday in my last year of junior school

OK, I only have this 1 game

13 Likes

Pilotwings 64: big 3d environments that never quite come together and instead remain a series of oddities
Resident Evil remake: pockets of quiet, contemplative rest wrapped around the scary moments
Waverace 64: music, technology, presentation, gameplay working together in harmony. Dolphins
Myst: games are a mystery and pull a lever until something happens
Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis: moody SRPG about mermaids

13 Likes

Outrun 2006 - GOATed in every sense of the word.
Super Mario 64 - abstracted in a way no other game in the series is. Felt like magic as a kid.
Tempest 2000 - god do I love this.
Paradise Killer - yes.
Immortality - I’m obsessed with Sam Barlow, and this is the most Sam Barlowiest game. (I also love Telling Lies a lot A LOT).
Pentiment - recency bias, sure, but the way this approaches historical craft…

Six games, don’t care, sorry

15 Likes

well now you’re hanging upside down over a pit of alligators and I’m slowly lowering you in… unless you remove one game

WHICH DO YOU SACRIFICE

7 Likes
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Conspiratorial thinking, many bespoke mechanics, insane plotting, Olga is early crush
  • Quake: Drone music, trapped in an endless violence hell, dungeon exploration
  • Red Alert 2: Camp masterpiece, fun and stupid, colorfully enjoyable, banger soundtrack, Ray Wise is my president
  • Herzog Zwei: My first multiplayer obsession, RTS genre grandfather, incredible pixel art, wonderfully inscrutable
  • DoDonPachi: Perfection in patterns, cycles of violence, I too wish I could shoot an Enormous Beam
17 Likes