2022 in video games

Mid year update:

Trek to Yomi doesn’t run on my computer.
TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge is pretty good.

Still waiting for
Hyper Gunsport, Hrot, and Turbo Overkill.

2 Likes

I can’t remember what my favourite thing so far is but my list says Final Fantasy VII and Danganronpa 1. From this year would be The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe so it’s not exactly a banner year. I’m concerned that The Matrix Awakens might be my favourite thing I played this year. I just want a new Matrix game.

Still anticipating Neebota 99 Fails.

Turns out I only played DS DC for about 15 hours because the new content was really insubstantial, and the weekly quests didn’t do anything for me. Good thing that was only Tenbux!

Hitman III I put a lot more time into, but also fell off its monthly quests, and they still haven’t been able to get the new game mode originally planned for spring out. I’m probably just going to hold off for their James Bond game at this point (boy I was really kinda expecting that game to be shown off at Not E3. That’s probably not a good sign.)

FF14 is forever.

Nailed the era and developer, just not the game. Turns out this year it was a home release of Red Earth.

Again I was right to be worried, but not for the right reason. The PC network test started and was open for about 4 hours, during which it was so overloaded it was impossible for most people to even reach the lobby. The next network test has now been indefinitely delayed. I like to imagine that someone on their port team told their boss “No, we can’t ship it like this. It’s not going to even function.” and was overruled, and they are feeling very vindicated about this sequence of events.

3 Likes

Turns out I’ve ignored all of these and still haven’t started YuruKill.

Outside of crap I’ve played on game pass (which expires this weekend) I think the only thing I’m excited about is Ryu Ga Gotoku 8 if that turns out to be this year. Not that I don’t have Lost Judgement to play first.

But gosh dang those retro-releases. Guess I am buying Akai Katana again! And Rumble Fish! And Radiant Silvergun. And Cannon Dancer in 2023.

But playing things on ps4 has been ruined since I’ve played stuff on this laptop with an SSD. No load times Yakuza is wild.

In short what’s happening in fortnite next week.

2 Likes

Elden Ring is still my GOTY and one of my fav games ever and if that makes me basic then call me C++

9 Likes

yeah so far for me it’s been Immortality and Fortnite. I was not expecting that

1 Like

Elden Ring and Immortality are the exact two kinds of perfect tigress games fighting it out for me yeah.

4 Likes

oh no… gemstone stole my 2022

7 Likes

I…think…it might be Xenoblade Chronicles 3 for me, which fuck, that is weird to say. It’s a messy an*me as shit game, but there are so many little things in it that just hit so right with me. Places and people and moments of their weirdly high stakes lives in a sometimes a little too on-the-nose setting that I just love a lot.

Big Spoiler Land here:

The whole game being about:
The Moebius, the bad guys with the desire to live forever, even if it means making the world a miserable place stuck in stasis, exploiting anyone and anything to keep it going, either for selfish reasons or to just get it right with someone you love. Theres only one side of a Moebius strip and it’s only that side forever.

versus

The Ouroboros: The need to move forward, to grow and change, to let the world do the same, even when it means you are going to eat your own tail and die at the end. The cycle of living and dying as the fuel for growth. And how that growth is really the only way to deal with the things that fuck with us, quite specifically PTSD.

While the Moebius are the bad guys, they made their choices understandable if not ethical at least a few times. And being the Ouroboros means eating your own tail in the game, in that yeah, you have to lose the people you love sometimes. The game ends with a real kick in the pants about this, and it’s overdramatic stuff, but it worked somehow. I’m a softy sucker for that shit (see Kingdom Hearts).

It’s all handled very melodramatically and such, and like, I don’t expect anyone to get on board with the series at all here (there is not a lot to change your mind if you don’t like the previous ones; the battle system is still a weird mess, the characters are weird, nopons still exist, etc.), but it just hit real well for me. This might be me projecting into it, sure, but eh, who cares.

Ah shit it also weirdly wraps up the Klaus metastory of the previous two games, but without Klaus (maybe). This game is still kicking around my brain.

Elden Ring is more perfect, definitely, and I love it a ton; I would easily recommend it to people over XBC3. Immortality is great as well and gets the same nod on recommendation. There will probably be something else. But yeah, stupid XBC3 is still stuck with me.

10 Likes

Mostly enjoyed old games. It’s probably Riven or Anodyne 2 so far. Of games that actually came out this year, probably The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe? Doesn’t feel quite right.

I’ve missed a lot of the big hitters.

1 Like

realized i am extremely excited for Slime Rancher 2, let’s hope it lives up to the hype in my head

it’s the only wholesome game i like, mostly because it’s about collecting poop from slime cows that can kill you by becoming evil?? or just ambiently in many cases. it’s a nice game that actually has a fair slice of tension RE: mismanagement causing the death of all your cattle and also yourself

3 Likes

sonic frontiers could have been “sonic generations 2” if inertia held but it isn’t. its unwinking commitment to itself is everything. it’s my game of the year on audacity alone. we’re out of time prison now

11 Likes

bad news

5 Likes

My game of the year is

5 Likes

I played a ton of shit this year it seems like, going through the old GYPT threads. No idea about release dates, who cares, but my 2022 games of the year are, I think:

• Wildermyth
  • Carrion
  • Dusk

I haven’t actually finished the first game but it’s a good one.

5 Likes

I really wanted to put the Monster Hunter Rise Rises Again DLC or whatever on this list but I’ve been too busy with Elden Ring to even crack it open. Apologies to the Buds.

About the only things that have pulled me away from Elden Ring this year are Immortality, Atari 50, and the endearing but very early access Voltage High Society which is essentially a hint of Metroid Prime, deluded with a whole bunch of Strife, and smothered with zest shaved from Tetsuo the Iron Man. I hope the release version rules and cools it with the save room backtracking. I can’t remember if I even got to give much time to that new Capcom fighting comp.

5 Likes

I did not pull the trigger (hardy hardy) on Virtual On sticks as I think I predicted at the beginning of the year in one of these threads, but I should probably do that.

4 Likes

I found a pair for the price of one! I’m going to be living the Virtual On life from here on out.

13 Likes

My top 10!!!

1. Elden Ring
  2. Return to Monkey Island
  3. Hardspace Shipbreaker
  4. Strange Horticulture
  5. The Case of the Golden Idol
  6. Shadows Over Loathing
  7. Pentiment
  8. Weird West
  9. Stray
  10. Signalis
6 Likes

almost everything i played this year was old, a ‘remaster’ or complete garbage except elden ring

10 Likes