2017 IS THE YEAR OF GAMES

Gravity Rush 2 - gorgeous, spectacularly unique and polished, uses every function of the PS4 controller to novel effect, doesn’t feel by any means like a lawnmower sim but every quest is twice as long as it should be and every climactic moment is more clumsy than challenging. definitely better than similar games in the PS2 era that it evokes, and too dang effervescent to put down once you get into it, but still kind of hard to recommend. basically, if you’re going to play any of Sony’s technical showpieces, make it this, but don’t expect too much more than from the others.

2 Likes

Fire Emblem 2 remake
EDF 5 probably hopefully

2 Likes

2017 is the year of CULDCEPT that is ONLINE and PORTABLE

3 Likes

Blaster Master Zero was a really charming 8 or so hours (give or take the fact that I’m slow). It even had multiple endings and an aesthetically surprising final act.

1 Like

i’m looking forward to catching up on five year old roguelikes soon

maybe i’ll even finish oreshika this year

3 Likes

in case anyone needs evidence of this, here’s an “alternate” solution to a shrine puzzle

ZELDA IS AN IMMERSIVE SIM NOW

4 Likes

I wonder what they’re going to do next since every single Zelda since twilight princess has been a hard (and usually unimaginative) reaction to criticism of the prior installment.

“too cartoony” -> “too dark and unmemorable” -> “too linear and facile” -> “ok you can make a direct sequel to this one again”

Replicate OoT -> MM?

“reuse as many assets as possible and make it weird”

The engine for BotW is gold.

6 Likes

it sounds like they could absolutely get away with that with just more gadgets & tighter world design

maybe instead of more gadgets just get rid of the menus entirely

2 Likes

disclaimer: stupid post

nintendo’s got that zelda timeline that the fans hate because it’s, well, it’s weird. anyway it has one branch that suggests that for whatever reason, in one of the eras Link just don’t show up and evil does what it wants. I’d like to think they’ve been waiting for the right engine to make that game, and this is a good enough engine to justify zelda getting Weird again.

They’re so close in Breath of the Wild, but just make the Zelda game where you play as Zelda. Take the Zelda from Breath of the Wild, have her open a portal to the weird Hyrule, and lean into the non-combat modes of interaction they cribbed from Portal and Beyond Good and Evil.

I don’t think this is as likely as a Link’s Awakening/Majora’s Mask-type, but I wish it would happen.

3 Likes

Nintendo positivity is pretty amazing right now.

Only three words matter in 2017.

NEW

DONK

CITY

9 Likes

New Donk City requires that somewhere in our world exists Yorkie Kong.

3 Likes

is it bad that there are maybe two games on this list I have any interest in playing.

Which ones?

persona and maybe pathologic

though I guess I’ve already played/am already playing nier. kind of burned out after the first loop, though

there are plenty of games on that list I’ve never heard of, but I think I’m at the point in my life where that already disqualifies something

There are roughly three and a half games I want to play coming out in 2017.
Which is about three games more then usual.

Gunsport
Cuphead
Double Dragon IV
and Dragon Quest XI (but imma wait for the English version)

There would be probably more if I was following the indie scene more closely.

Wtf is this pathologic thing that everyone keeps talking about? Super left field for me, and the previews I’ve read were not exciting.