10,000 Bulletins: No One Can Stop the Presses! (Part 1)

In a game for CHILDREN.

1 Like

This is horrendous, its completely unjustifiable.

1 Like

What an incredibly dreary boss fight to risk your brain for.

4 Likes

new thread for the next round of the selectbutton poll is now open for deliberations

1 Like

Iā€™ve never heard of Spelunker and so I checked that link to look at the trailer. The music sounds like something Iā€™d unashamedly rock out to! Hella good

Splelunker has an extremely strange history of being an early western computer game that got ported to Famicom in the early days when every Famicom game sold a million copies.

It is a terrible fiddly die if you fall two inches kusoge that every Japanese of a certain age loves. It rules how much it sucks. The modern Minna De Spelunker is made by Japanese teams that deeply follow that it rules how much it sucks philosophy. I have not given them as much time as they deserve but I also love Splelunker.

Spelunker, Atlantis no Nazo, and Challenger are a real trifecta of famicom kusoge.

15 Likes

That explains why I donā€™t know it. I know little about kusoge, much less about Famicom era kusoge. Sounds like it would be fun to watch a stream of

Oh you should load it up. You will learn why it is hilarious immediately.

5 Likes

Right there with Rudie RE: Spelunker love.

It helps that it is consistent. When you die (immediately and often) it is because you made a mistake within the framework the game has presented.

A lot of terrible games have bad hit detection and inconsistencies.
Spelunker doesnā€™t have any of that. The main character is just hilariously frail.

Also, the cart looks like this

The king of Famicom era kusoge.

18 Likes

Is that an LED?

1 Like

Never owning a famicom ever feels like a real oversight on my part.

Yeah, some IREM games had LEDs.

If you ever decide to get a Famicom, the AV-Famicom is very nice.
It has NES style front ports and a Famicom expansion port on the side.

1 Like

iā€™m pretty sure there are plenty of modern manufactured famiclones easily available in japan with a/v (or sometimes even hdmi!) output, and other nice modern features like usb power and such.

the famicom i have in my room right now is one i got brand new from yaj for 30 yen!

itā€™s okay guys, you can go back from being outraged to not caring about the game again

9 Likes

You Are Not Alone: Day 1.11 Patch Edition

srsly though, really sad that i cannot go out and pick up a physical copy of this today. :tronyell:

Spelunker HD is like #479 on the 501 Games of All Times. In that post I lamented how no one played it, and how it would be one of my favorite games if I had friends to share it with.

Wellā€¦that better change this summer, assholesā€¦!!!

OK maybe thatā€™s the wrong tone of voice, maybe I shouldnā€™t be mean, or maybe everyone should invite me over to play Spelunker with them.

Hopefully it includes Spelunker Black, which was Japan exclusive DLC that got pulled when Irem quit the scene and was never relisted after Tozai acquired their catalog.

It was a version of Spelunker HD where you couldnā€™t see shit and I believe people hated it.

Iā€™m very sad I never got to play it.

I have a lot of Spelunker-related sadness I guess.

I once dated a girl who only had like 3 NES games growing up and one of them was Spelunker, and that was a rarity, I didnā€™t meet many people who knew Spelunker back then, letā€™s pretend one of us would have ended our toxic relationship much earlier if we hadnā€™t been hardened by the ultimate kusoge as children.

20 Likes

i played like five minutes of spelunker on ps3 and hated it but i guess thatā€™s when i thought it was just a piece of shit instead of a (said warmly) piece of shit.

3 Likes

The first three games I played on my PS3 were Dark Souls, Gran Tourismo 5, and Spelunker HD, which are all hateful in their own charming way. That isnā€™t true, but it feels true, so thatā€™s how Iā€™m going to remember that.

3 Likes

PS5 scalp update: looks like the current average price of PS5s on eBay is about $800, half what it was during the Christmas 2020 frenzy

Nature is healing. At this pace, odds are good that Iā€™ll be able to get one direct from Sony by the time Horizon Forbidden West comes out

2 Likes

Hereā€™s what worked for me: Follow this guy on twitter and turn on notifications for his posts. He tweets every time thereā€™s PS5 availability anywhere online. Thanks to him, I was able to snag a PS5 bundle from Gamestop. Their bundles sell out much slower because bundles are less profitable for scalpers.

3 Likes