10,000 Bulletins: No One Can Stop the Presses! (Part 1)

I feel really dumb for not realizing just how much of a Cotton ripoff Deathsmiles was

6 Likes

Perfect

8 Likes

I like the art in this. It reminds me of the juicy look that Sonic All Stars Racing gave to the old locations and images that game included.

3 Likes

Aesthetically Yeah but Deathsmiles actually plays with shooting left and right. i love that in Deathsmiles you never have to worry about powerups.

My recent experience with Cotton Reboot is covering the screen with Boss Splashs but still making bullets kill you during it is horrible. There is so much going on visually and you are supposed to maybe keep track of your pickups for abilities and each of your pickups has a separate leveling up. I think shooting to choose your powerup works in a much slower game like 1943 but in Cotton where your basic shot takes up 1/3rd of the screen and you have enemies coming from all angles it gave me a headache.

Then Iā€™d die because a splash screen hid a bullet.

2 Likes

Is this after they patched it? I thought they reduced the visual noise some. If itā€™s still bad thatā€™s a dealbreaker, that shit drives me nuts.

The scrolling in multiple directions is what actually took me by surprise. I had no idea that was in Cotton. Maybe I never played any of them past the first stage?! Very likely! Iā€™m a fraudā€¦!!

Iā€™ll play tonight and complain!

1 Like

I didnā€™t have any issue with the boss splash. Itā€™s just a big WARNING but only on the bottom of the screen, so I just start out of there and it hasnā€™t been a problem.

Gameā€™s been a blast so far for me but Iā€™ve only put like an hour into it.

They may have updated it then. It was dead center before.

Oh god yeah that would be waaaay worse, haha.

yeah I got Cotton Reboot last night. I saw Rudieā€™s comments about the Warning Splash, and it still seems somewhat bad in that it covers about the bottom 25% of the screen, but itā€™s not quite dealbreaker for me. I mostly wanted it for the X68000 version though.

So far seems cool, maybe a bit easy though? Infinite continues seem weird when arcade games get ported to home console, I always feel like they should do it like Sega Ages Space Harrier where you get three credits and thatā€™s it. Game is expensive though, $60 AUD.

I may need to post in the questions thread for shmup recs, I have a bit of a hankering but Iā€™m also a n00b

First thing I did was accidentally trigger ā€˜visual modeā€™ in X68000 mode, which appeared to start the game. Then I was wondering why this opening cutscene is so long until it started cutting to her supposedly having killed a dragon, then I skipped everything until I got stuck watching the opening credits so had to close and re-open the game

3 Likes

Okay just played a credit. They definitely turned down the knobs on everything by 50%. Which hey thanks.

I still donā€™t like the giant Warning screen but at least they moved it? It is especially weird since they do eliminate all enemy bullets and enemies when the boss appears.

2 Likes

I do love that the first boss in both versions can just crush you right away. Itā€™s really funny when I mess up and let it happen.

eta:

18 Likes

this owns, actually

6 Likes

@the_kyphosis_gamer is this like a skeleton key

5 Likes

i know a lot of people here probably donā€™t pay attention to them anymoreā€¦ but the IGF awards were announced via a stream earlier tonight, and Umurangi Generation won the Grand Prize this year (as well as the Narrative Award):

15 Likes

frankly Iā€™d been specifically ignoring that one the same way I did with gone home and night in the woods because I donā€™t trust stuff that gets universal acclaim for being contemporary but I really should give it a look

2 Likes

i really wouldnā€™t compare it to either of those. the level of jank it something i think most of Select Button would appreciate compared to a lot of other known indie games. tbh the amount of ā€œprestigeā€ is remarkably low for a game as well recognized as it is. i think how commercially well its done (pretty good for a first-time dev, tho certainly not a super big hit or anything) reflects that. Night in the Woods and Gone Home are far more commercially successful games. thatā€™s kinda why i was so happy to see Umurangi win. havenā€™t felt this happy about another grand prize winner since Cart Life.

if something likeā€¦ Spiritfarer (which was also nominated) won this year i think youā€™d have a good case for avoiding it though.

5 Likes

I mean it is explicitly about the destruction of identity and culture because homogenization and climate change written by someone who has lived that so what has kept me away is it isnā€™t exactly light fare.

5 Likes

this stuff is obviously present (and i assume it will be more as it goes onā€¦ havenā€™t finished it). but from what iā€™ve played i think that aspect has been oversold in some ways that kinda discredits the game - mostly in that it kinda undersells the dark humor, jankiness, and very heavy ā€œshow donā€™t tellā€ aspects of the game. in particularly that Super Bunny Hop youtube essay guy sold it as being ā€œthe angriest game iā€™ve ever playedā€ which just really pissed me off as a reading in general tbh. there are serious undetones and a lot of dark irony but itā€™s not really a heavy-handed at all. tbh it felt very true to life for me and esp my experience being broke and in my 20ā€™s living in an often dystopian heavily policed totem to inequality i.e. the SF bay area. so thatā€™s what iā€™d say there.

13 Likes