10,000 Bulletins: No One Can Stop the Presses! (Part 1)

Minor details taking up the most memory really summarises a lot of games discourse

10 Likes

Iā€™m so glad the N64 version was cancelled. The shipping GBA game looks perfect albeit sounds like a tin can telephone.

6 Likes

this is basically confirmation that we are true enemies and will eventually duel

i like this quote because it works both as RAM and human memory

just riffing about modern games. not relevant to anyone. not necessarily even my true feelings; maybe just reaction. can be ignored.

that nintendo inteview is a good interview for someone who believes expensive modern games are just about incapable of meaning anything so long as they remain convinced of the safety and soundness of ā€œpiling all the details togetherā€ and unconvinced of any higher ideals

i keep having these moments of enlightenment lately where stark contrasts reveal facets and strengths. since my hands have been debilitated for the last 6 weeks+, i find myself focusing on and re-evaluating what i value in games. being unable to operate a controller or w/e normally has further galvanized me re: how exceptionally little a lot of modern games have to offer without the dopamine-optimized structural traps, the predatory psychological subliminations, the numerically overwhelming cascade of pixels, displays of raw technological forceā€¦ in service of a deliberate and studious avoidance of curiosity, of meaning, of purpose, of bravery, of decency.

itā€™s perfectly reasonable - you canā€™t afford to take any sort of artistic risks, to include any remotely challenging thesis, with that many peopleā€™s money. unthinkable!

when i was younger i had a very naive view of games as this sort of constantly escalating medium in which anything is possible and rising technology means there is always some new idea to pursue. the interactivity of it. the novelty. i canā€™t believe i came from that raw enthusiasm, one thatā€™s coasted through basically my entire conscious lifeā€¦ iā€™m so disillusioned by videogames now lmao. it feels like a loss

14 Likes

Care to elaborate?

I just imagine it chugging along and making the music battle system miserable while Iā€™m looking at various potato shaped models. The GBA version looks and feels of a piece with the other two and the graphics get out of the way so I only see the art.

1 Like

voting is now open for the latest round of the selectbutton poll

2 Likes

oh iā€™m mostly joking! the GBA version is about the best this world could have possibly hoped for.

there is a nugget of something, though. mainly down to my extreme fondness for the N64, and the ambition of the prior try. as well, the ā€œhandheld pacingā€ and ā€œhandheld scopeā€ of mother 3 are two things i most dislike about it.

i can view it a few ways, but ultimately i wanted a console game. what makes a console game different from a handheld game? does mother 3 even exhibit this?

mother 3 works remarkably well as a handheld game. however, as a sequel released quite a few years later (skipping a console generation), it isnā€™t hard to note the ways itā€™s a sidestep from mother 2; certainly in the sense of overall game scope. i guess thatā€™s got to be part of the point - mother 3 wasnā€™t and then it was, and the wasnā€™t absolutely needed to inform the was. there were changes made to the game and structure to get it to gel with the GBA better, and to ensure it was, in fact, released at all.

the whole game in its final form feels a bit breathless and impatient to me; maybe that squeezing process is part of why. anyway, itā€™s only really notable when compared to mother 2.

i was mostly joking!! i just love the n64 OK!

8 Likes

I tried to explain it a while back

5 Likes

the statement that mother 64 was meant to be ā€œa major-league MOTHER product set free from any restrictionsā€ is heart-rending. the gba version is divine and all that, but it doesnā€™t ~feel~ set free from all restrictions.

if nothing else, the N64 was capable of much higher quality audio output than the gba and one can only imagine what the full soundtrack would have been like.

8 Likes

Itā€™s perfect, though, isnā€™t it, that Mother 3 can only exist in this state obviously compromised by capitalist demands. Porky means business.

Dovetails with @meauxdalā€™s general issues about modern games i.e. capitalism above nicely at least

13 Likes

This is my life now lol. The injury really opens up how much on offer is geared around pressing the buttons very quickly and very frequently for maximum orgasm time or whatever. Also how many games love making the player feel like a big strong hero chunk/sensitive prestige emotion-haver who doesnā€™t have to reflect on anything, but when it comes to actually being compassionate to a playerā€™s means of engagement most games fall flat.

11 Likes

This is the actual reason why I donā€™t play on consoles at all any more - I need to be able to remap everything, make macros for button-mashing, or use a low DPI mouse for aiming, etc.

In the new Destiny raid I set up a python script the community made to process the game audioā€™s musical note cues into call-outs because my brain cannot turn around that much I/O in the span of seconds

When I go back to a prescribed control device and limited options I just canā€™t

5 Likes

sleeper hit of that interview is miyamoto saying tekken only needs 5 characters

i want to see footage of him looking at the the latest smash roster

18 Likes

it is very interesting to me how the periscope of time and great language can make the most common, anodyne old developer complaint (studios are too big now, I liked it when it was smaller) into a shattering truth.

Itā€™s always true! and we need to keep reminding ourselves of it

8 Likes

I donā€™t have any specific insight into this but Nintendo appears to understand the economies of asset pipelines better - Mother 3 may even have been instructive in bringing scope down on a technical level. But then you get the DS, Wii, 3DS, Wii U, and Switch as havens for smaller Japanese studios with less complicated project management. Thatā€™s got to be intentional on some level e.g. SMT V with PS5 production values might not ever happen.

6 Likes

As someone who grew up on consoles this genuinely feels really tragic that I might not be able to replay a lot of stuff I have in storage. It kinda annoys me but also allows me to be more discerning I guess? If I have no hope of physically playing it at least I can write it off. Complex feelings.

2 Likes

They absolutely have taken conscious steps for this, but it cost them a lost decade of internal development (2005-2015) and they only managed to buy maybe 4 years behind everyone else in production costsā€¦theyā€™re on the same ramp as everyone.

5 Likes

Me too! I was actually thinking about how holding a GBA now to play an 8 hour non-action game like Mother 3 would probably cause unbearable pain and choked up. Granted, thatā€™s tied up in recent events too across at least two intersecting vectors.

Thereā€™s some hope in retro receivers but those are dominated by essentially reproductions of retro hardware. I know @meauxdal likes the 8bitdo stick with a ton of cross-platform retro support by way of e.g. DB9 serial adapters for bluetooth. Iā€™m not aware of a way to use something like the Xbox adaptive controller on pre-USB stuff but Iā€™m sure AbleGamers et al. are aware.

3 Likes

I really really want my theory-cum-Bloomberg rumor of DLSS as their next lateral technology to come true

2 Likes

as an enabler for Switch Pro? That makes sense to me, but it doesnā€™t change the production costsā€¦Breath of the Wild 2 is still going to cost forty percent more than the first game and that required years and years of an enormous studio on top of shadow teams

3 Likes

OTOH @meauxdal @captainlove I am released from the quantum prison of considering MGS replays thanks to Kojimaā€™s insistence on hateful QTEs

4 Likes