Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I finally found the second great fairy so now i have some pretty good armor. One of these days I’ll kill a Lynel

2 Likes

what’s nice about the collection/exploration is that I feel like zero need to collect anything. I just… like exploring the world and seeing what’s there. getting some lil korok seed or 100 rupees or whatever is just a nice bonus. I feel like they got this aspect more or less right.

4 Likes

navigating the menus still feel pretty clunky to me, but overall, i’m getting HUGE MGSV vibes from this thing and i’m Loving It. i love the way it feels like Mario jumping/climbing and how snappy it is and how you can climb damn near anything. i like wandering around in this world.

I’m glad no one here’s flipped out about 900 KOROK SEEDS?! not because of… anyone here’s fault but because i take it to mean that most people have a similar casual reaction. I like that they don’t signpost themselves as “korok puzzles” or appear dotted around as obvious collectables, they’re just little things happen to notice and do because, there they are. There’s a ring of flowers in a pond, why not swan dive into it? There’s a steel ball chained to a well, toss that sucker in there. There’s a cute little tornado whipping around, chase it!
I think what makes the koroks work is that they are so subtly hidden and especially that there’s no 1/900 counter that pops up when you collect one – you’re not supposed to hunt literally all of them down.

Also, koroks are flipping adorable and i’m happy they’re back.

1 Like

I flipped out about 900 KOROK SEEDS but in a good way because finding stuff is what I rub my pussy to.

Really getting a kick outta the any% march of progress for this thing (never followed a speedrun optimisation arc before), handful of young people going very hard on it recently. Nearly sub 40 minutes now

1 Like

But will there be a separate no amiibo-category to run?

Also, apparently a patch dropped that improves the framerate of the Switch version. Wii U got a similar update but the improvements there are barely noticeable.

I have this now! It rules!!
The blood moon is actually pretty freaky!!!

2 Likes

pic.twitter.com/4G1ZGv1869

— Jeffrey Grubb (@JeffGrubb) April 13, 2017
2 Likes

While walking across cliffs toward a shrine, i looked down into a hole and spotted a big creature sleeping far below. I was curious, so i saved and floated down with my paraglider. It was a hinox (big cyclops pig dude)! I drop-attacked him with a warhammer and got into a nice, frantic little confrontation. Serious MonHun/Dragon’s Dogma vibes. I shot him in the eye a bunch, naturally, and when he started covering it (!) i basically played chicken, dashing past his leg and turning to whack him on the shin while his attack whiffed. Ended up killing him with a farm hoe. All of this ruled.

With how big the world is, it’s really impressive how many areas and encounters feel designed and not just like random elements. Obviously there’s a fair amount of those too, but even when i raid bokoblin camp #36 and pan around from one of their guard towers, it’s neat to see how carefully the landmarks are arranged. You rarely feel like you’re just in some nondescript patch of wilderness.

Game’s great yall

4 Likes

Holy shit i hope y’all don’t mind my continued liveblogging but this game keeps blowing my mind over and over

Gonna blur this one because it’s honestly too cool to spoil

I came across the skeleton of a hinox. When night fell, he sprang to life, so naturally i equipped my sweet lazer axe and came at him. Ultimately had to give up after a few attempts – you need to shoot his eye out to kill him and i didn’t have enough arrows to pull it off – but at one point during the second try, i accidentally felled a palm tree with the axe and he picked it up and wielded it like a club. Then killed me with a butt stomp.
Also, he ripped out several of his ribs and threw them at me.

Cool detail about hinoxes: you can see various weapons and arrows embedded in them and you get to take them home with you when you fell one.

6 Likes

I absolutely do not mind

4 Likes

If you’re real sneaky you can actually grab those weapons off of them without even waking them up. Just pay close attention to those hands.

1 Like

Notice the thunderstorm on the right

3 Likes

Keo Ruug shrine is on some Riven shit

Also, anyone playing this who hasn’t been to the Lost Woods yet should make a beeline for it. It might’ve been my favorite part of the game so far. I always loved the idea of the Lost Woods when i was a little kid (living in the forest, being obsessed with Zelda, and running around with a wooden sword my dad made for me hacking up poor, innocent ferns) and this is the first time it’s ever been near as cool as i imagined it.
This is my dream Zelda game, my inner child has been reawakened

3 Likes

I never figured out the solution to the puzzle in Lost Woods and just treated it as a timing and memory challenge. (There are visual/audio cues when the fog starts closing in on you and you can quickly run back to safety before anything happens. Then you know that’s a “wall” and can try walking in another direction.) This worked well enough, but I wasn’t sure if that was really what I was supposed to do or if there was something else to it. I just googled it and sure enough, my solution was a cheese.

That’s what i did too, for most of it, though i also noticed the direction of the wind blowing after awhile. I’d say both solutions are valid!

It strikes me that this game, a likely GOTY contender for 2017, and The Witness, my favorite game of last year, are both full of puzzles and mechanics like this that require deep custom game engine integration to do at all. The anti-middleware backlash is real.

5 Likes

I just got too close to lava and my wooden spear goddamn caught fire, 10/10

edit: FUCK! I GOT TOO CLOSE TO LAVA AND MY BODY CAUGHT FIRE!!! 11/10

3 Likes

Big tip for the shrines is that before you finish them to set your radar tracker to Treasure Chests to see if you missed any. Some of them are hidden in ridiculously devious locations in there and usually require a bit more puzzle power to get (found one hidden behind a fake block in a wall that was only very slightly off colour for example)

Also want to reiterate just how useful using Stasis power to simply survey your surroundings with is since it clearly highlights most interactable objects (find a lot of Korok hiding spots this way) and dropped loot lying around.

1 Like