Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Maybe it’s to recreate the feeling of spring in japan? It is very misty and light, giving colors kind of a washed out feel to them.

1 Like

I revisited Hyrule Castle to kill everything and I found some nice cake recipes in the process.

Assuming the sequel maintains the same quest structure, I hope they have the good sense to fill the dungeon/temple/beast slots with dense environments like this.

1 Like

I was really disappointed when the tower in Akkala wasn’t a Sen’s Fortress or Duke’s Archives. It looks much more foreboding than it is.

Does this remind anyone else of Morrowind (in a very good way)?

2 Likes

[quote=“sleepysmiles, post:448, topic:1983”]the sheer variety of creatively weird shit you can do in this game, golly

i’m actually getting Morrowind vibes from some o dis. augh my tax return can’t come sooner!!!
[/quote]

2 Likes

it is kind of frustrating that the specific weaknesses in this very good game are largely stuff that I have almost no confidence in nintendo of all companies to be able to address, but they did get this far, so

This weekend I had lunch with someone who’s really into TES and I used the flying boots as a point of reference for the emergent silliness.

The chemistry system is really good - see the videos sleepy posted of cheesing electricity puzzles by dropping all of your metal equipment.

this game is giving me real morrowind vibes! i wonder if anyone else feels that way

4 Likes

lol oops

look this was a really long thread I tried really hard to read all the posts

I guess I coulda searched

but I’m not the only one to make that connection.

what sells it for me is the way the overworld is designed to be “open” but “constricted”, but like, if you really try hard enough you can overcome the walls they throw up, especially if you mix the right potion. except as far as I can tell it’s not miserably broken in any way like morrowind was with that kinda thing

Early on it was a bit evocative of New Vegas - sure, no one’s stopping you from going straight north but you’re going to get fucked up.

2 Likes

Going straight to Hyrule Castle and getting wrecked was sooooo much fun

Beef gating forever!!

3 Likes
6 Likes

Wow, the end of that video.

8 Likes

just want to be clear

that’s a hate bloodpotion

5 Likes

Would be funnier if he was almost out of stamina imo

1 Like

my friend recently quit playing this game. his complaint was that it was “a zelda game without treasure.”

he was poking around trying to find everything and said all you ever find are rupees, which are worthless bcuz you can just break rocks and find all you’d ever need, or a weapon that’ll just break in a combat or two.

He said eventually he just gave up on even looking for treasures, and wouldn’t even go check out really obvious bomb walls and stuff he walked by because there was never anything worth getting in them.

so yeah it sounds like this game’s just skyrim i guess?

1 Like

A Zelda without treasures is exactly what everyone on this web page has been begging for for ten years

6 Likes

yeah but it kind of seems like a gift of the magi thing.

they got rid of all the treasures to have a big ungated world, but there’s no reason to explore the big ungated world without treasures.

people enjoy skyrim tho so maybe there’s just something to big empty worlds i dont get.

1 Like

Reward systems have been a Zelda and Nintendo weak spot for years; name one Zelda game with a non-broken economy and more than one type of interesting treasure.

The real value comes spotting a reward but being unable to a acquire it, perversely realized in Ocarina’s out of reach hearts you had to wait seven years to get.

They didn’t quite take the leap into full Team Ico ‘journey is its own reward’ but the Kokiri are nearly the same thing; little more than an acknowledgment by the game that it saw what you did.