World War Moink (Valkyria Chronicles)

Not so far, but I gotta imagine there’s going to be some valkyrian war goddess with huge bazingas showing up at the halfway point of this game. VC4 doesn’t seem like the kind of game to stray from the VC1 story formula.

I’m also annoyed the price is so high. I would’ve definitely waited for it to drop if I wasn’t completely devoid of any games I wanted to play.

2 Likes

Is this a non-US region? Here it’s $60 which matches console prices (we’re a few years past Steam releases being $10 cheaper than console prices, as they were for a while).

yeah. price is literally twice the equivalent of u$60

That is insane. Who in their right mind would pay $120 for a new video game?

Promising new recruit:

Her first mission, we are in a desperate losing battle, trying to hold three camps for five turns while our soldiers evacuate. Vancey suffers a PTSD flashback on the way to camp, lowering her defense, then upon reaching the camp, unlocked the superpower “Hammered” which immediately ends her turn because she’s too drunk to do anything else.

Boss tank then drives up and around her, Vancey completely blissfully oblivious the entire time:

Vancey absolutely sucks ass as a shocktrooper and I’m always going to put her on the front line because that’s what VC is all about.

I love this game.

11 Likes

the demo gave me the impression that this was going to be VC1 with less charm, but maybe it’s there after all

Yeah, I thought I was at the mid-game (chapter 6), but looking online, I’m at the 1/3 mark. The game is definitely picking up. The last four missions have been great - actually taking place in a large-scale war, where it feels like you’re one small part of a much larger battlefield.

Also heartened by the people who steadily join the team. The starting lineup was okay, but some of the best characters have popped up as later adds.

Shaping up to look a lot better than I initially thought. Story is still really rote, but the locations, characters, and missions have gone from middling to good.

1 Like

3 Likes

I do appreciate how the moment things get rough, Plan A is to pillage a nearby Imperial town.

2 Likes

At the mid-point. Story is dragging bit, with a lot of “we’re stuck here, have to escape” or “we have to survive this weather” segments.

Missions have been enjoyably challenging. Still bugs me how bad the AI is in this game, since they’re constantly run in front of tanks until dead. Makes it so all you need to do is park your tank in the right spot and wipe out half their force as it tries to approach.

Anyways, I’m very impressed by the soundtrack. Hitoshi Sakimoto did it for VC4 as well as VC1 (and Vagrant Story, FF12, FF Tactics), and it really is above and beyond the call of duty for a title like this:

Full OST

Can definitely hear the FF Tactics in this one:

They DO play a few tracks way, way too often, which annoying. Whenever your turn is over and the enemy turn begins, it starts the same song again, so, you get sick of that fast. Same with the “things are dismal and depressing” song, which I’m getting over and over at this point in the game.

Several classes get a new weapon when they reach level 11. Snipers get to do interception fire. Assult get flamethrowers. Scout get RPGs and lancers get mortar lances.

Woof. I don’t know about this mid-to-late game, folks.

Once your base starts getting stuck in the ice, the plot of this game gets bogged down with some truly uninteresting garbador.

Missions themselves are pretty interesting, though. I don’t love the bosses, but the actual maps and objectives are fun.

1 Like

its worth noting that honestly this game treats a character like rosetta way better than i thought it would initially

1 Like

the mission pn the big battlefield is like telling me i’m playing the gsme wrong but after running through the map 8 times i still have no idea how

Is that the big open one where you use all your tanks, and I think first go up against the anti-tank guns?

Use your artillery! And don’t be shy about driving your tank aaaaaaaaaaall the fucking way up and blowing up another tank or whatever with it.

i have a steady and growing list of favorite characters but tbh i’m surprised about this thread being negative about the core cast

i feel in parts they have a much better dynamic than alicia and welkin did in vc1 even though they were good, and the story has kinda kept up with side characters

As far as the core cast goes, I like Minerva and Riley a lot. Claude is solid. Kai is okay. I like that Raz is a darcsen, but he can get pretty one-note. I don’t remember anything about that tank kid or the other tank guy.

Secondary characters have some real shining moments. I’m glad they put the focus on developing those out in side stories, because that can be a lot of fun. Obviously Vancy the lush and Ferrier the helmeted bastress are my favs.

Don’t forget to use orders.
Also the APC is totally broken.

finally cleared out Point of No Return last night with a C rank, man what a tiugh mission that probably overwhelms you when the enemy captain has orders specifically made for ruining you

Oh, THAT one. Yeah, that took me four tries. Only reason I passed was because I Mega Man-style memorized every threat and positioned a counter to it.