Wizardry Wednesdays - BUSIN 0

So I’ve wanted to do a weekly livestream for translations for a long time and I’m being an idiot and diving in the deep end with a game that honestly has some pretty difficult Japanese in it!

This is Wizardry Alternative NEO - BUSIN 0. It’s the followup game to BUSIN, which was localized in the west as Wizardry - Tale of the Forsaken Land by ATLUS. Despite the title screen credits, it’s actually made by our friends at Racjin, who most people will know best for Bomberman 64, but have done a pretty wide spread of games.

I plan on doing a live translation stream every wednesday night, probably starting around 6:30~7:00 PST. I picked Wednesdays because I’m least likely to be consumed by something else at that time, like watching certain other streams I’m a fan of.

I’ve already cleared this game, as you can see from the Bread Party above. I’m starting fresh from a new save, but might screw around in postgame with this bunch some more.

So!

I want y’all to supply me some characters for the new party!

busin0-portraits-annotated

All portraits are male on the left, female on the right. Yes, especially the dwarves.

There are no other portraits for custom characters, sorry! But I’m totally up for using some of the NPCs if people want.

I am doing an evil-aligned party because what kind of nerd runs a good party in Wizardry?

RULES:

• I get final call on the party composition so I don’t get something completely useless.
  • Humans and dwarves in the front, everyone else in the back.
  • Seven character limit. You may use English characters or Japanese ones, I kind of don’t really care. (edit: Symbols are okay, apparently roman numerals can be used and they only take up one character slot!)
  • I may reroll characters a couple times because of a particularly painful decision the developers made, but that’s really just Wizardry tradition.
  • You can request the same portrait more than once. I don’t get to see it much throughout the game anyway; it only shows at the guild anyway.

Races:

• Humans - Overall middle of the road. Low wisdom means they make lousy priests. Good samurai.
  • Dwarves - High strength, wisdom, vitality. Low intelligence and speed. Good priests, good tanks.
  • Elves - High wisdom and intelligence. Lousy strength and vitality. Great mages. Made of paper.
  • Gnomes - Highest wisdom, high speed. Low strength. Great back-row priests.
  • Hobbits - Highest speed and luck. Low strength. Destined to be thieves.

Only classes available at the beginning are fighters, thieves, mages, and priests.

I wanna say that thieves are 100% optional in this game treasure chests don’t work the same way as classic Wizardry. But if you want one, hey!

I am probably going to regret this but I want people to hold it to me if I miss these streams. I have slacked off on these enough! (Though if Net Neutrality getting nuked makes it so I can’t stream anymore uhhh I’m sorry guys!)

https://twitch.tv/mauvecow - stream

Part 1 - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/209401648

Part 2 - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/211308510

10 Likes

BUSIN MAKES ME FEEL GOOD

9 Likes

This’ll be rad. Can you make a human Samurai called 非典?

Kanji are not available, sadly.

I could do ひてん or English “Hiten” something though.

(also gender preference)

Aw, dang. OK, female human samurai called DrKUSH.

(or Nemissa, if you want something that doesn’t seem like it’s breaking the reality of the fiction)

1 Like

A dwarf named Ginger, class/gender all up to you

1 Like

I just realized you said Samurai aren’t available at start, so I guess Fighter > Samurai.

Yeah, that’d be the plan. (Honestly if it was a fighter I’d just make her a samurai anyway because I really want one)

Female characters get a 3 point bonus to Vitality in this, while male characters get a 3 point bonus to Strength.

This is not really important in the long term, but can affect class unlocking in the early game.

make me a character

make my character the cutest female NPC you can take with your evil party that you normally wouldn’t beause they are useless or something

plot 4ever

1 Like

make a gnome priest who is in WAY OVER HIS HEAD*

*his backstory is he lied his way into this job and lives in terror of being found out

4 Likes

I’ve actually got this concept for a necromancer for an evil-aligned D&D game, kind of

A necromancer that can’t actually raise the dead or control skeletons or talk to ghosts or anything like that. It’s all prestidigitation and unseen servants weekend-at-bernies-ing a skeleton.

7 Likes

oh my gosh they have Discworld dwarves

1 Like

Depending on what slots are already taken can I be a lady elf priest

1 Like

doing some stream prep tonight.

the party so far:

• feldian - human samurai named DrKUSH (c’mon, i have to use it)
  • mikey - dwarf whatever named Ginger. considering priest or fighter here primarily.
  • u_u - male gnome priest in way over his head. no name given. this game has personality traits! i will choose some appropriate ones.
  • ferrets - lady elf priest, named… ferrets i suppose?
  • creep - use a female npc that you wouldn’t otherwise. this is actually tricky, because all of the starters are good. however some of the later npcs are pretty… um… yeah. i could just reserve a slot for ‘female npc of the hour’ which might be amusing.

this is leaving me hilariously short on mage spells, which i desperately need. well, the protagonist slot which i reserved for me, this is one of the games where you have to make a protagonist that you can’t boot from your party, may end up being a mage of some sort! that’d be different.

so setting up characters will take some time because this is a wizardry game and you do need to reroll a fair amount, so what i will do is set them up before the stream, play the game up to the point where you can use your own party, and then switch to the prepped save file.

1 Like

ferrets - lady elf priest, named… ferrets i suppose?

Oh, I mean I kind of assumed Marina was a given

noted!

i don’t like to make assumptions so i prefer people are explicit with me to prevent explicit language later!

1 Like

if you can’t think of a better name the impostor syndrome gnome should be called Waldo

1 Like

Honestly I just really like Wizardry so I’m interested regardless

k, save prepared. made sure it’s actually usable too, since i’m doing something very silly with the protagonist, and it worked out better than expected.

creep’s request is one i’ll fulfill later in the game, when one of those characters arrives, but not before then. until then i will have a gnome mage named Pumpkin (Pie) filling that slot.

there’ll be a Sudden Class Change for a couple characters once i get the stats to get them to second tier jobs

i 100% am going to screw up translations tomorrow, get excited.

https://twitch.tv/mauvecow follow my stream now if you like, i’ll post again before it goes up

1 Like

You’re going to be saving recordings, right?