wii - 10 years on

Wait is this supposed to be a bad thing?

little king’s story rules

1 Like

I looked at my games and the only ones not mentioned that seemed worth mentioning here were:

Lost in Shadow

and

A Boy and his Blob

both of which I haven’t actually played.

Lost in Shadow is on the list, adding ABahB now!

fragile dreams is a game I actually really wanted to play
dang this thread got me realizing that for a short time between the ps2/ps3 for me the wii was basically my entire life also honestly the wii has legit my favorite version of cave story on it and the sheer fact that it got ported to the wii was the astonishment of my 14 year old pixelartist brain

red steeil and the resident evil chronicles games are lightgun games basically that not enough people have ever been willing to talk about

Fragile dreams has some really beautiful environments that it rips away from you for train-tunnel, sewer, grey abandoned building. I know that doesnt sound bad but there is such beauty in the between places that it makes the colorless-lifeless corridors all the worse.

1 Like

wii modders:

do not format any devices as WBFS - this is 100% deprecated and a waste of a (probably large) partition/usb/hdd - also a waste of effort since you can’t use a WBFS drive/partition with anything but your wii and you can’t view the files natively on any OS (you have to use specific applications that are largely/exclusively windows-only).

use this loader: https://code.google.com/archive/p/cfg-loader-mod/

use this application to convert your games to .wbfs (iso also works natively iirc) and transfer them to a fat32 drive (games larger than 4GB will be automatically split): http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/

2 Likes

I don’t know why but I have a Wii again and I am trying some stuff on it.

After watching the trailer I expected Mebius Drive to be a driftastic racing adventure. Kinda isn’t though. Let me explain. Acceleration is mapped to waggle. Steering is mapped to tilt. And steering gets mighty confused by all the waggle. I guess you’re not supposed to accelerate and turn at the same time. Uhh. At least you can connect a Nunchuck and steer with the analog nub. Biggest problem though: I can’t figure out how to drift. Gotta give this more time.

I have still meant to play Dewy’s Adventure. I bought it like 10 years ago, never opened it. it was the follow-up game by the Elebits creators (I think?). seemed like Kororinpa with cutesy gumdrop characters and action

yeah. haven’t touched it either, but elebits is really charming and kororinpa is great! should probably get around to it

the wii game I played the most was Mario Strikers Charged. seriously, hours and hours and hours of co-op on that one. it’s my favorite game on the system (still haven’t played S&P), very unsung IMO.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is my favorite Wii game. Boom Blox is probably my second favorite. The Klonoa remake is good. I played a little of Kirby’s Epic Yarn just recently, and it was fun.

I need to finish Deadly Creatures and start Sin and Punishment 2 at some point. Both seem promising.

2 Likes

Oh thank you for this. I hate WBFS

As for the list, idk what I’d add…

I guess Let’s Tap is fun for a while in multiplayer?

1 Like

I played some GT Pro Series, because it’s basically AdvanceGTA in 3D (same developer as GBA games). I’m having fun. After I switched the laggy controls from motion to d-pad steering. (The steering attachment is collecting dust now, though I guess I could still use it.) All-digital controls in a 3D racing game, oh yeah baby! Totally feels like playing a GBA game now. That and the AdvanceGT2 banners make me smile. What doesn’t is the rest of the visuals. Kinda looks like shitty Auto Modellista. Which is a bummer, cause I love that style. At least the speakers are putting out Eurobeat. How it should be. What also makes me a bit grumpy though, is the sense of speed. Or lack thereof. It’s kinda like the step from Super Mario Kart to Mario Kart 64. The frantic pace was lost in translation from Mode 7 to full 3D. Are the courses bigger, wider, longer? Are the cars slower? I can’t quite put my fingers on it. But it’s still a game by Motorsports Software Technical Office. Pushing an RX-7 sideways through corners on the tighter courses still feels really fucking good. The drift gods are appeased.

Somewhat funny but ultimately useless side note: the uber rare GT Cube (on the Gamecube) that you can only buy on yahoo auctions for way too much money, is exactly the same game. It also only really works with digital controls. I think there was some GBA compatibility mentioned on the back of the box, maybe you can use one as a controller.

4 Likes

w i i w a r e

15 Likes

can we get game titles or something - did you take these yourself? if not, from whence did you source these?

I completely forgot that the links are swallowed by discourse downloading the stuff. This is kind of a shame, cause now I don’t have the links anymore either. I got these by looking at every game listed in Nintendo’s online catalogue, which I assume has every Japanese WiiWare release that hasn’t been delisted:

some of these look really fucking cool

I know, right? I mean, most of it is probably garbage, but… can’t be as bad as some of the XBLIGs I played. At any rate, I have a sizable list of stuff that I wanna try out (if I can get it anywhere).

Protip: you can get the romanized names by using the ID in the URLs, because that’s the one gameTDB uses.

Like e.g. the first couple screenshots are from
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/wiiware/wggj/index.html

so you can just visit
http://www.gametdb.com/Wii/WGGJ

where you get the name and some description.

1 Like

this game looks amazing

2 Likes