Where to get nice glasses?

My fellow four-eyes, where do you like to purchase your glasses frames? My new optometrist is shady as hell. She has the rapid patter of a conman, and she’s constantly trying to upsell me. According to her, I should spend $500 on platinum glasses frames. Yeah, I don’t know about that. Her frames are all totally marked up, so it’s time to look elsewhere.

Here are my old frames I’m looking to replace:

They’ve served me well but they are OLD and also maybe a little unfashionable? I don’t really know what’s fashionable when it comes to glasses. I got these from a Costco in 2012, lol.

I just got a pair of “Oliver” framed glasses from Warby Parker:

I think they look good on me, and I really like the black frame with the white highlight, but I really don’t like the way they feel on my face compared to my old metal frames. They don’t really slide off my face or anything, but they feel like they rest strangely on my nose, like they’re one NANOMETER too wide for the bridge of my nose.

Maybe it’s because instead of the nice, comfortable, adjustable nosepads on my old metal frames, these just have these thin little plasticy wedges:

I’m thinking about returning these glasses and buying new frames elsewhere. I might go back to metal frames because I am really missing those nosepads right about now.

Where do y’all like to buy glasses? Do you have any recommendations for stylish and comfortable frames?

historically I have been good at upselling people on stuff along these lines so I’m gonna go ahead and tell you to get laser eye

I don’t have vision insurance, so I’m not really trying to do that right now. Maybe someday though, my sister went that route and has been happy with it.

12 Likes

I have told you in semi-private but I have recommended to multiple forum members a certain Chinese eyeglasses site and have gotten several glasses and sunglasses from them.

Break my unstoppable code ///¥¥¥fir¥¥¥¥¥moo///.com

On SB1 i recommended them and they made a fucking account to say thanks for using our products!

Also they are like so god damn cheap I got a pair for free. I’ll even log into my burner tomorrow to see if I have a Referral code or something.

Also if any of you wear glasses in your daily life and have not gotten prescription sunglasses you need to change your life forever.

6 Likes

Firmoo
Zenni Optical
Eye Buy Direct
Coastal
Goggles4u
Lookmatic
Eyeglasses dot com

some places will give you the first pair for free. some places will just like refund you 90% of the price and let you keep the glasses if you complain that you don’t like them.

there are lots of glasses now in the korean moptop boy mold of essentially metal + nose-pad construction with acetate rims and arms.

4 Likes

I had a pair of glasses I really loved and haven’t been able to find a clone of, basically a thick tortoise wayfarer silhouette with perfectly circle lenses. They broke, after a few years, and so I contacted the manufacturer to get another pair, and they told me it was impossible. Then I figured out that they were " " designed " " by Jason Schwartzman’s wife and so I tried to email her but it didn’t work out.

A couple months ago I resolved to find a new pair of forever extra chunky round lens frames and after some searching I found a pair I quite like

turns out they’re like a thousand dollars oh well nevermind

3 Likes

did you mention the rushmore house

I haven’t purchased a pair of glasses in probably six or seven years, but I’ve used these three sites and they were all fine. I’ve had these red glasses I bought from one of those three (I know one of them tended to have more blah generic frames and others had some cooler stuff, but it’s been years) sites for the aforementioned six or seven years and counting. You don’t need any goddamn platinum frames, what the hell.

I need to get new glasses, too, actually. And my eyes checked again.

1 Like

Jealous of the small heads in here, ha.

like the cheapest frames i can find that might fit my head are like 90 bucks before lenses.

1 Like

That’s so primitive.

Everyone I know has good things to say about Zenni but I don’t buy it. Last time I got glasses I picked the closest brick and mortar place and was glad because my prescription is nuts and I needed them redone 3 times. Mailing that shit back and forth would have been hell.

I just went over to the local Warby Parker store and their in-house optometrist adjusted the glasses I was having trouble with and talked to me about R&B. Now they fit a LOT better. I’m still not used to the feel of acetate frames, but now I feel like I can get used to these.

However, y’all gave amazing advice, and I do think I will treat myself to some cheap glasses from some of these vendors! Especially appreciate Rudy’s prescription sunglasses idea.

Going to second Coastal as being good. I took Felix’s advice on using it to get those contacts a thread or so back, and they were cheap and good.

Don’t know how good their glasses game is but it’ll at least be affordable. I guess one thing to note is that my contacts’ boxes are all covered with Japanese writing, so apparently they get them from Japan and resell them here.

1 Like

Oh Hakusan. I got a pair of them that I don’t even like.

Still kind of regret not getting a pair of Kaneko that was irridescent Orange and Blue.

Right now want to go to a store (a store!) and get some big clear plastic frames that are slightly tinted because I never leave the house anyways.

Even the contact lenses my wife gets directly from the optometrist are covered in Japanese like that so maybe that’s the way they normally come

1 Like

yeah my glasses are from coastal, I got them back when they were new so I got them for the cost of shipping (12 dollars iirc)

that kind of deal is probably long gone