What're you readin'

Yeah, I think you’re best served reading something traditional alongside perspectives that challenge it, like Zinn and the Indigenous Peoples’ History. I found that learning to read history is about reading things that you have no context for but plowing forward anyway; by going over it enough and exploring small branches you begin to put character to names and make meaningful connections that allow you to think about it.

Absolutely. First you realize how good it is relative to its cultural cachet, then you read Middlemarch and find yourself in awe about how much better is than that

Also realize going in that Austen is not entirely fond of the people she is writing about.

I just got through the third one of these and… it’s good! It took me a while to suss out the significance of various events, but overall I’m satisfied that the series functions as something more than an elaborate puzzle box, and even though I’m not sure I’ll ever piece all the details together to figure out what “really happened” or whatever I have really enjoyed the atmosphere and tone of the entire series, barring that one part of Authority that really drags.

One of my favorite parts of these books is how they have such a great sense of place, while also being so geographically indistinct. I’m pretty sure there are no references to any specific place names (beyond the town near the Southern Reach offices being called Hedley), and everything is instead referred to through vague cardinal directions and environments (the West, the North, the coast, etc).

Apparently there’s gonna be a fourth?

Anyway this has taught me that I’m able to read for leisure now so I have a huge backlog of things I have wanted to read for awhile to get through. Starting with The Dying Earth. The one I have is the original 1950 one, are the other related books worth reading too?

VANCE

IS

BAE

the original book is the best one, the later dying earth books are more mixed quality but I still liked reading them. Be prepared for not liking the main characters of the later ones, that’s on purpose!

I picked up Frank Herbert’s Dune and Ursula K. Le Guin’s The Dispossessed the other day. I’m trying to decide which to read first. I’ll probably pick Dune just because it has such intense cultural cachet… I’ll suddenly get every reference. But I’m way more excited about reading The Dispossessed.

definitely read dune first because the dispossessed is a far better book and you probably won’t be able to get through dune if you read it second

After you read The Dispossesed you should read Sam Delany’s essay about how he think The Dispossessed fails because it gets space horniness wrong???

That’s our Chip!

Been busy as of recent, but I carved out some time to read the first two volumes of Kill Six Billion Demons, which are up on Amazon. Oh my god is this series absolutely phenomenal. This has got to be one of the most incredibly interesting and well-realized universes I’ve ever seen in a series. Characters are wonderful, writing is tight and delightful.

Artwork is incredible.

no worse fate than jonathan ames getting_u

colour me confused but delighted

This man is Very Good.

After plowing through 2 and 3/4 Three-Body Problems books in like a week I finally finished the last quarter of the last book after like two months. It sort of got worse and worse but then the ending came around and was good again. This man really, really hates characters.

So does the Name of the Wind suck as much as I think it does like halfway through? I’m trying to read it because a friend at work loooooves it and…ugh.

its complete shit, yeah

thank you.

I was starting to feel like I was reading a different book from everyone else.

guys I’m finally reading proust. someone @ me occasionally to guilt me into staying on track

this is probably a mistake

I blame bothering to read Proust for the complete shitshow that is my adult life

I mean that and the chronic massive depression

“What is the difference?” I hear you ask. Yes, exactly.