What're you readin'

@Father.Torque: Ha, I was going to joke “cuz it’d be cool to just be done with literature…” But now that I actually am… it… doesn’t seem so funny.__

@OneSecondBefore: Nice - I actually read that for the first time a year or two ago and enjoyed it. The India ink one especially is wonderful. Thanks for reminding me of them!

I finally got around to A Voyage to Arcturus (a 1920 science fiction novel for those unfamiliar) and it’s excellent. I’m about halfway through (will probably finish it tonight or tomorrow).

Apparently this book was a major influence on C.S. Lewis’s Space trilogy, which for whatever reason didn’t really hold my interest past the first book as a kid and I never revisited it.

I can’t resist this type of idea-filled story about a journey through a strange and imaginative world.

Cs lewis was influenced by loathing for the book actually, he thought it was evil

The end of this book hit me like a ton of bricks. It summarized something I’d been grasping at re: life as a young shrug in just a few simple words. Way more impactful than I was prepared for a space fable filled with the silliest names ever printed to be!

May be my favorite book. And it’s not just my weakness for allegory; surpassing strange, indulging in body transformation, a religious journey from a non-religious perspective. It’s all.

Tangenting…

David Kanaga (Proteus composer) turned me on to this book, and his work rhymes well with it. Proteus is a superb exercise in abstractions and Oikospiel is necessary.

And of course his plea for multi-sensory feedback:

This book owns I read most of it sitting on a rock in the forest, very good summer that was

Also I have The Flight to Lucifer sitting on my shelf and have for years. I’m literally afraid to read it. It’s the only novel ever published by literary critic and probable creep Harold Bloom, and it was apparently directly inspired by A Voyage to Arcturus. It was panned on release and basically disowned by Bloom. It’s the “Beyond the Valley of the Dolls” of gnostic fiction I guess.

It is bad!

please read it and report back, I’ve been curious but I don’t want to subject myself to it!

gimme the shrug truth

For the sake of anyone else who might be curious about it based on this discussion (too late for me as I just finished the book), does anyone know what the best electronic version of A Voyage to Arcturus might be? The first couple I came across were barely readable with all the bad formatting and errors.

I ended up finding a decent copy at Feedbooks.net, since they tend to clean up public domain books nicely, but even that copy had a fair number of imperfections.

I read inherent vice and, because of the dnd podcast, kept hearing doc sportello in @km’s voice

Ok looks like we need to modify Ven just slightly

Ha, nice. IV is great. I think Doc might be the most likable Pynchon main character. It’s been a while, but I remember thinking the book’s breeziness (relative to Pynchon’s other stuff) was more a product of Doc’s cool personality than Pynchon dumbing it down or w/e. I’d read another book starring him for sure, though I can’t imagine we’ll get one. I’m flipping back through my copy now… there’s good joke every few pages. (That cheesy “I counted.” line at the end of the first chapter has always stuck with me for some reason.) The name “Sauncho Smilax” is so fun to say. The last few pages are some of Pynchon’s most beautiful.

I almost just put this in the Movies thread where the current Annihilation convo is happening, but then I remembered this exists

Just finished Authority last night–I liked it but not nearly as much as Annihilation. I’m excited to finish the trilogy, but man that book drags a lot in the middle. I fully support the general approach to the novel, I think another book set entirely within Area X would have been bad, it’s more the details of how it’s written that I found irritating.

I get that all of the “red herrings” are there (presumably?) to reflect the protag’s paranoid state, but it just feels like filler that doesn’t go anywhere, and then the last 50 pages are just overstuffed with plot and character development. The pacing is so weird.

Okay so, as a pleb, what’s a good book to introduce me to US History? I have a really bad grasp on, uh, everything history-related.

Also should I read Pride and Prejudice?

A people’s history of the united states dot pdf

parallel to that i’ve heard only great things about roxanne dunbar-ortiz’ s an indigenous peoples’ history of the united states

A history teacher in high school had us read xeroxed chapters from Zinn alongside the regular text so I guess they’re right educators really are indoctrinating our youth with radical leftist propaganda!!!

Thank heavens.

That was just one AP US History teacher circa 1998 though I’m sure she’s retired by now.

my high school us history was taught straight from zinn’s book, also an AP teacher

Oxford History of the United States

Although I have only read Battle Cry of Freedom tbh