What is your favorite controller?

the PS4 controller is such a huge jump in quality for me compared to the ps2/3. the controller itself form fits better and doesn’t feel like super shitty cheap plastic and the buttons feel nice and the dpad continues the precise diagonal button feel of the playstation family, and the whole thing has good heft to it.

it doesn’t quite beat the xbox one controller for me, as the xbone feels better in my hand and i like the sticks better but they’re both really good controllers honestly (just keep em both tethered to mini usb cables).

i always really liked the look of the PS1 pre analog controller. it really just kind of copied the look the SNES but actually had form fitting handles and i like the way the buttons look, it matches the whole system without sacrificing function.

i love the gamecube pad for all the reasons everyone said in this thread, it’s really still a nice controller, maybe thinking about getting and converter/adapter for my laptop. especially since i still have my hori SNES pad somewhere. god whast a great Dpad on that thing.

2 Likes

shoulda got on that sls train back when they came out! mine is still fine, despite my merciless battering of the A button playing shooting games.
i can confirm that sls usb saturn pads are sturdier than official xbox 360 pads

look at all these alien artifacts

6 Likes

do gamecube controllers get shitty more regularly than anything else in y’all’s experience? I love it too but I’ve got like five of them and half have some shitty limp face buttons and all of them have loose sticks, a couple prohibitively so

the sticks on a lot of mine got shitty thanks to extended melee, double dash and mario party sessions.

also re: Wii U Controller Pro. it’s a great controller, but feels like a lighter, more plastic version of the 360 pad. the dpad is nice.

n64 controllers got shitty faster (that grimy powder around the control stick, uggggh), but the gamecube B buttons are terrible and get stuck, even on brand new controllers (you can twist the whole controller gently to get it unstuck). the Z buttons often tend to get mushy as well ime

2 Likes

i wanna try the ultra racer
also, are both analogue sticks on the alpha 64 mapped to do the same thing? or does it maybe have a cool feature where you can choose each of them to be mapped as the analogue stick, d-pad or c buttons? because that would potentially make it a really good pad for perfect dark and south park and the like

4 Likes

I remember reading an article in some game mag about them putting N64 controllers through torture tests, i.e. Doritos dust, throwing it across the room, dropping it into a tank of soda, etc.

Most of the third-party controllers fared about as poorly as you’d expect, but the MadCatz Advanced outlasted even the official Nintendo one. I’ve always wanted to get my hands on one since then.

1 Like

that first picture. how the heck…?

This may seem like the opposite of the original intent of this thread but I’ve delved into the bizarre enough already so…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Retro-Super-Nintendo-SNES-USB-Controller-For-PC-Mac-Emulator-Super-NES-Wi-TN2F-/282198770131

I’m gonna get one. I don’t expect it to be good.

4 Likes

I’m getting one now because of you, ya jerk

if i ever make a game, i want to design it for that controller

1 Like

fucked up if true

1 Like

do the xbone or steam controller got pressure sensitive buttons? trying to emulate mgs games with a ps4 controller is kind of a pain in the ass

that’s totally a controller for people who got used to the snes emulator default keymapping of ZXCV right?

2 Likes

That’s the closest thing to an explanation I can think of. Using fingers on the face buttons keyboard-style would make the left shoulder button inconvenient, but it’s hardly universally used in SNES games.

Nope, IMO your best bet is an adapter for PS2 or OG Xbox controllers that supports analog buttons.

DS3s do but I’ve detailed my problems with them in this thread. Older 360 pads might, but it sounds like the current stock doesn’t.

how do you feel about trackballs

The SuperPad Plus is pretty okay. It was good for Doom 64 (easy access to L and Z) and… ISS I think. The stick’s got metal inside so it lasts better, but it also moves further than the standard one, which is a bit of a pain.

I had a pair of Ultra Racers too, but never used them much. Weren’t any good for F-Zero.

1 Like