What is your favorite controller?

using the light on anything but the dimmest setting is blinding, which helps with the battery, I just can’t understand why the default isn’t the dimmest

played a lot of gears 3 with this setup

ideally the mouse could be ditched for a lightgun, since playing met prime on the wii with chuck and remote was wonderful

3 Likes

o-oh shit!!

2 Likes

Looks better in a showroom demo

Well I think the silly thing is that my so-called wireless controller is only wireless some of the time. I do have a very long micro-USB cable (actually, two A-A extension cords plus a micro-USB cable daisy-chained together), and lately I’ve also been careful to leave a second controller always charging so I can swap at will, but it’s a rigmarole and if it worked I would prefer to just use a PS3 controller with the PS4.

ultimate bonner

I don’t disagree but GC controller is my favorite for Soulcalibur. I could barely play the original after I got used to Soulcalibur II on the GC.

4 Likes

Yeah, it totally makes sense of the way the game is designed: big, central guard button, a main (horizontal) attack button, then two secondary (vertical, OTHER (kick)) attacks. The mapping perfectly fits the logic of the action.

1 Like

yeah, it’s weird how perfect SC2 was on the gamecube given that the arcade hardware was basically a PS2

unrelatedly I think the virtual boy was the first hardware I really hyped for as a kid

1 Like

gamecube sc2 also had the best and most fitting of the 3 guest characters

Here’s a topic: mapping other relevant games to the GameCube and/or GBA control schemes, to see what sense they make or otherwise, when you moosh around and consolidate the controls.

Samus’s controls got way more intuitive from Super MetroidMetroid Fusion. The consolidation requirement seems to have acted as an opportunity to think about how the controls could’ve been better in the first place.

In general, shoulder+face/dpad combos are very comfortable and natural and again, with the sole exception of fighting games, it’s very rare to see a game that suffered from the transition. This kind of input wasn’t really seen on the SNES (even though it’s common on NES and GBA) because the abundance of SNES buttons didn’t force the issue, even though it might’ve still been better. (Sonic 2/3 was exceptionally thoughtful for its era in never taking advantage of the multiple face buttons and using dpad combinations for spindash and air-action instead.)

1 Like

This is my favorite controller:

I used it to play my Gameboy games through the Gameboy Player attachment for my Gamecube, which doesn’t work anymore. The Gamecube, I mean. As far as I know everything else still works fine. It was also a surprisingly good pad for Soul Calibur 2. I need to get another Gamecube someday.

These days I really like the PS4 controller. It feels a lot more solid and comfortable than the Dualshock 3, which always felt flimsy and fragile in my hands. The only other non-PS controller I use is my wired 360 PC controller whenever I do any gaming on the computer. It’s a 360 controller, you know the story.

I have one of those blood red Gears 4 Xbone Slims preordered and I’m looking forward to getting to know that controller when it gets here.

5 Likes

has anyone ever used a Titans Sphere

1 Like

are those gynecological stirrups

kingdom hearts: afterbirth by sleep

3 Likes

That’s what I’d expect to find when you open the Three Seashells.

I really honestly don’t know what you’re doing that the battery life is that abysmal! I mean I guess I play at most 2, 3 hours at a time but I’ve never had the thing die on me when I wanted to play games.

the faceplate even rotates so you can line up your d-pad buttons with your isometric directions of choice in tactics ogre, populous, etc.

edit:
also eat sandwich / drink cup

7 Likes

Oh yeah this one hand controller reminds me:what about disability friendly controllers? I’m on my phone so I can’t search much but

I remember reading about a controller that primarily used tubes you could blow or suck to control an Xbox 360. I find this fascinating and incredible

As a Genesis diehard, a super fan of its 6 button controller, I can’t believe I’m saying this… the original Super Fami/Super Nintendo controller.

Has anyone mentioned the AV Fami/NES2’s dogbone, cuz that’s hella comfortable as well.

I remember reading an article years ago about a paralyzed dude who got his brain hooked up to a computer and he could move a mouse cursor and surf the net and shit, and always was annoyed that they didn’t mention whether or not he tried to play Doom or something.