What is your favorite controller?

Nah, I think it is the coating Hori used for it. It can come off, but it takes some work and is a pain to do.

Weird, I wonder if thatā€™s the same problem as with Sonyā€™s PS3-era rubberized thumbsticks?

You bought a slime and itā€™s slimy.

DUH

1 Like

My favorite controller when my hands were very small:

My favorite controller now:

4 Likes

I was very surprised to learn how tiny the NES Max is. It always seemed like a big boomerang in the pictures. I had that impression in my head for an age.

1 Like

An NES Max is the only way I got close to beating Battletoads Double Dragon as a kid (on account of the very conveniently positioned turbo buttons). That weird thumb-disc does not spring to the center, youā€™re meant to slide it to the quadrant you want to move in and press the whole disc down. It worked well for certain games, and as youā€™d imagine, was not great for any game where you switch directions rapidly.

Seems like that design could be really good for arc-type motions in fighting games (quarter-circle, half-circle, 360, etc.) Iā€™m kinda surprised it hasnā€™t been replicated.

Also recently learned that some people mod it by replacing the red puck bit with a modern thumbstick. It works because either way youā€™re just tilting the black plastic assembly to press rubber dome switches underneath it.

1 Like

I just ignored the red disc and used the black circle around it as my ā€˜d-padā€™. Worked well!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had a special place in my heart for this one for a long while

2 Likes

I hope you can play Gran Turismo on that.

1 Like

9 Likes

7 Likes

I asked this in another thread already but maybe someone here can help me too. I need a fighting stick I can play Tekken 7 with, on the PC. Iā€™d like to spend less than a hundred dollars on it but it seems thatā€™s impossible. So I guess recommend me a stick I canā€™t go wrong with and that I donā€™t have to mod? That would be very much appreciated!

Very few sticks are <$100. Tekken is built for PS style controllers so PS4 controllers should work and get you way under budget. There are also good hori six button pads that get you most of the way there if you like the assysmetric thumb plus piano finger matrix setup.

Yeah Iā€™m way past the hundred dollar mark. Iā€™m just going to have to save if Iā€™m serious about this.

I actually didnā€™t try the dualshock 4 yet, just the 360 pad. maybe Iā€™ll do better with that

Still, stick suggestions, keep them coming if you have them

The qanba carbon is a good PC stick in the $50-$60 range

1 Like