What do you call this 90s aesthetic

Japanese, PS1, serif fonts, boxes around things, obsession with German, jungle music, multiple mismatched typefaces, saturated colors, weird bits of text?

I think of FF7 as having a similar vibe

http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Wiki/images/f/fc/Final_Fantasy_VII_-PS1-_Manual.pdf

Wipeout XL is a close cousin but it’s more of a sans serif bleeding edge cyberfuture thing with a more slickly produced Prodigy feel

7 Likes

That aesthetic was real. It’s what the kids imagined the cyberfuture would be like, a bit grungy and German lol

But I think only the Japanese used German a lot. They’ve been doing that probably before the 90s and are probably still in love with it. If memory serves correctly they got German words right most of the time whereas American Nazi shooters (the only time Americans ever use German is in that context whereas with the Japanese you’ve got anime series about a German surgeon in the black forest or whatever, too) butchered the language most of the time. That only got rectified with nu-Wolf.

4 Likes

that kind of type face always has an AWUNGH AWUNGH AWUNGH AWUNGH alarm and an anime apocalypse attached to it

6 Likes

mid 90s anime

I’m sure Evangelion was riffing on a collection on precedents but it’s going to be the source for summat like Einhander I think

i’d like to think this is what the rave flyers looked like while the graphic designers for these games were in art school

4 Likes

What do you call this aesthetic–90s industrial maybe?

back when i was doing graphics in this aesthetic, it was just called “grunge”.

I agree that Evangelion probably influenced that german cyberpunk-ish future aesthetic. Especially the serif text arranged into boxes or inside of colored boxes. This French twitter post covers some of Evangelion’s typography (it’s all mostly Fontworks’ Matisse, if you want to emulate that style yourself; though, if you want more of that ghetto PSX look, just use roman characters with any of the fonts that are installed for Asian character display, their serifs are usually thin and goofy-looking and their sans-serifs all have fucked up kerning and shit (so do the serifs, but sometimes it’s not as bad), so you really get that PSX-era look).

4 Likes

I never watched Evangelion so I guess it turned out I asked a stupid question.

But where did Evangelion get it from??

1 Like

This is like in the middle of the transition from the “industrial” look of Tool and NIN albums to what ended up being nu-metal. Seven is the movie that owns this look imo. I don’t associate it with videogames so much but now I think about it there was definitely some kind of kinship with Silent Hill, Manhunt…

2 Likes

https://graphic-resign.tumblr.com/ has a lot of this kind of thing

2 Likes

Ersatzpunk

I also never watched Evangelion but I think they came up with it

D97vrd8XkAEOf8W

D97vt69XsAIPB4e

D97v0OUXUAEN0Gr

D97vwvdXsAERXLm

13 Likes

I feel like there’s some proto-precedents of the Evangelion GUI style in Gunbuster. I’m not sure who at Gainax was responsible for these lovely designs, and I’m not sure what their influences were, but they’re pretty rad and distinctive.

1 Like

I call it cool!

srlsy though, it probably comes down to a phase where people were into german (and tbh, also greek myths, since Selene, Helios and Eos are snatched from there) and willing to experiment with the media, i think?

The staff listing for Evangelion is pretty huge, and Gunbuster’s is a bit large, too, so it’s hard to see at a glimpse who bleeds over from that into Evangelion that would’ve had a direct influence, but I’m guessing it was storyboard artists in conjunction possibly with title designers. Some of it gives off a similar (but not exact) vibe you might see in advertisements for electronics, or packaging for VHS and cassette tapes in the mid to late 80s.

1 Like

i was looking for more pictures and i found a site that has nothing you’re looking for BUT it has UIs of different movies and games, and is REALLY well organized by category

but they need MORE

https://ilikeinterfaces.com/tag/evangelion-1-11-you-are-not-alone/
https://ilikeinterfaces.com/?s=hacking

3 Likes

Of course, this is actually the good thing about Evangelion too

1 Like

I propose we call the aesthetic genre “j-cyber”, since it’s thoroughly Japanese and an extension of the cyberpunk aesthetic. Came out of the 80s and the widespread consumer electronics revolution, as people combined the classic computer terminal look, industrial design, and military-style HUDs.

It definitely didn’t originate from Evangelion, because you can see echoes of the style in movies like Cyber-City Oedo, Patlabor, and Neo-Tokyo, all of which predate Evangelion.

download%20(1)
tumblr_nieo7eqIa61r9m88fo1_500

Compare the interfaces previously with this fighter HUD

CARI apparently classifies it as “pacific-wave early cyberpunk”

2 Likes