waist deep in the trash (Natural Doctrine)

Man that description sounds ace. Like high tier trash, the highest form of filth.

And like any trashgame worth its salt, it has an OP which does not fail to prove to you just how garbage you are

Itā€™s 15 bucks on steam, which ainā€™t bad for a game which compacted the best kinds of trash into one junkyard experience

It doesnā€™t get much more direct than showing you this one minute into booting the game

@GRIMglamfire

1 Like

I have Agarest on PC thanks to Rudie. I have made it lie twenty minutes in.

1 Like

wow as someone who hated the 3DS FE games this sounds perfect for me

If you want a game that fully embraces being a waifu simulator and has ridiculous convoluted tactics, then Agarest fits the bill

Nactural Doctrine is from the Patapon director, right? I bought it the instant someone said something about King Crimsom. Itā€™s so ugly! It has two artstyles and both are ugly: anime generic trash and realistic anime generic trash. Itā€™s kind of fun, though, and it has themes that I like. I hope to play it for more than half an hour one day.

Never forget.

3 Likes

ahahaha he looks like heā€™s cosplaying Lightning

I immediately snatched up a copy of Charlieā€™s Angelā€™s Mobile Light Force 2 when someone sold it to our store:

1 Like

That cover is so YES but then I looked it up and itā€™s a shmup. :frowning:

But can you resist the PAL cover?

Fortunately yes.

I beat the game yesterday. If you arenā€™t interested in the plot at all you can watch its incredible ending right here. Typically you get a game over if any character dies but starting a few missions from the end the game introduces permadeath (even if someone falls the rest must persevere to the end!) so you can see him dead in the corner there. The stage results screen always showed the Character Deaths rating and it never made sense until these last few missions.

The last half of the game has blurred together in my memory. This is partly because I beat a boss who I didnā€™t realized was optional until I beat him and got a strong weapon that pretty much one-shotted everything from that point on but also because I donā€™t think the map design evolves heavily past a certain point. The maps in the game are designed as small set-pieces so you never get the sprawling battlefields you see in something like Final Fantasy Tactics and I think this is probably in part due to the way the Turn Linking system works. Since you need a certain amount of proximity to utilize it the game never forces you to split up, or encourages it. Every level is designed to push you through a specific path and Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s any incentive to break out of it.

There are some maps that have some neat ideas, like a few where youā€™re essentially being chased in a circle (one of them is a boss battle and the other needs you to hit switches to open a door back at the entrance where more enemies are waiting), and those were breaths of fresh air. But most of the combat scenarios- well, my complaint is that they lost their challenge and didnā€™tā€™ feel mentally stimulating, you could approach them all the same way with the same strategies, but again maybe this is because I was one-shotting everything. And I donā€™t think itā€™s just that one weapon. I had a couple of other characters who could do close to the same just with their character builds. I donā€™t think the stage design manages to keep pace with the playerā€™s increase in skill as well as the gameā€™s own character growth system.

So the end result is that my main complaint for the Dark Souls of SRPGs that bombed in reviews for being too hard is that itā€™s too easy. I forgot there was a Hard Difficulty and that you could change difficulties whenever you want so maybe I should have used that. It just increases enemy HP as far as I know.

Cool game though! I would have liked to see the system developed more. It had some silly glitches, silly ai, and silly cutscene direction. It also did some neat things like letting you attack NPCs to start hidden boss battles for unique loot.

2 Likes

Oh, but the game does have a MP mode with co-op missions and PvP and supposedly itā€™s intended to be just as much of a draw for the game as its SP so maybe thereā€™s some more cool content there. If anyone has the game and wants to try it sometime let me know!

Aw, bummer! My copy of this appears to have been lost in The Move, so Iā€™m not sure the Trash Report for this specific game will continue, but Drem basically fileld the thread up with the rest of what I thought about it. Here soon Iā€™m gonna hit up my local game store (or, Stop, for Games, if you will((will u?)) and find something NEW to play.

1v1 me NAtURAL DOCtRINE okay thanks (SERIOUS)

1 Like

hmmmm

I donā€™t remember how to play at all but I guess I could try. Iā€™d have to reinstall it though.

PSN username is Ubermenschkind. Feel free to add me and let me know when youā€™re down. Iā€™ve got an open schedule. I also havenā€™t gotten far into the game yet so Iā€™m not super expert.