Void Stranger

very rude of the new System Erasure game to come out tomorrow when i have covid

13 Likes

they sure did play cave noire huh

game is neat so far but i’m only like 30 min in! it feels like it’s hiding secrets from me already.

4 Likes

Downloaded but doesn’t seem to work on steam deck, will have to try on desktop

1 Like

ahh damn. i was waiting for some sort of deck info before i grabbed this.

1 Like

i kinda suspected it would be a take on cave noire from the trailer but i tagged it as a zelda instead because it was funny to me (im sorry @doolittle)

optimistic i’ll be healthy enough to play this sometime this weekend, i spent maybe twenty minutes just chilling with the settings screen open and it’s kind of hilarious for a two person core team (i assume that’s still the case) how much polish they put into that alone. the particle effects react to your inputs…!

4 Likes

i decided to buy it anyway and it runs fine on the deck for me

2 Likes

fwiw/one thing to keep in mind (since a steam deck owning friend gave me a full testdrive of his steam deck) is that if you switch from playing on PC to the steamdeck, sonetimes there are config options that break applications for him, i.e. he had to go to PC, remove/reset config file, launch it on steam deck and voila, worked suddenly for him.

YMMV but this seems to be a thing with steam (decks).

tbf it’s pretty different from cave noire so far but it does borrow a lot of very specific details from it

this game seems really neat and i think most of it is going way over my head

found one non-obvious thing playing around with the stats on the tree screen

1 Like

I took great pains to rescue a nun, and then accidentally pushed her into a pit. I think I can’t undo this terrible crime!!

2 Likes

same! i had it all planned out, knew what i was doing. then…

I actually kind of want to restart the game to fix that, but it seems I’m unable to delete my save and start over!

Now she’s in the void, stranger.

4 Likes

My discoveries so far after about 3.5 hours of play, I assume I’m still pretty early in my progress, I was mainly treating this as a straight puzzle game before I began picking up on some things. Can’t imagine this game is very popular right now, so I imagine the secrets will take some time to percolate across the internet.

Murals:

Each “level” seems to have a 6x6 floor where you can replicate the patterns on the partially obscured murals you find at the start of each level. If you do this, you get access to a secret floor with some sort of glowing icon. The only one I’ve accessed didn’t have a clear way to access the icon with the moveset as I understood it

Tree screen:

You can cross over onto the status bar at the bottom. It seems like anytime there is no physical wall containing you, you and other objects can cross over (this was the case on the secret level I found above as well). You can delete/move around different things on the status bar with different effects

Moveset:

Interacting with the statues in certain ways allows to you jump ahead levels. The game ultimately explained one method, though I assume there are others

1 Like

game rocks so far, about 1.5 hours in. just as a straight puzzle game even. it’s very mysterious though. not reading any spoilers yet.

i did find a secret cube though, was very proud of myself

not reading any spoilers yet but we did Antics by playing some of my copy’s and then @contentdeleted’s where we tried to not, uh, die. wow that sure does change some things

the game won’t let you use a sigil that already exists

one of those tile collectibles that unlock memories is unmarked and says SECRET! when you get it so that seems like hell. at least it was in a suspiciously empty floor, hopefully they don’t pull it outside of that

we saved the nun after accidentally shoving her into the abyss in my copy, love her. realized after leaving that maybe making a path for her to the staircase allows her to leave? but that’s just a Theory…

i can’t remember the last time i was this excited about the videogame. incredible soundtrack. this is the la mulana i want to see in the world

anyone got a hint for the chest on this screen btw? (B24)

3 Likes

This game rules, the possibility space seems enormous
I also noticed some fuckery with the games one achievement and Im wondering if theyre gonna do some wierd shit later with steamworks api to swap out the picture and text to make different achievements in the same slot and hide messages in there? Iirc its technically possible?

Don’t forget you can pick up and move a stairway.

3 Likes

YOU CAN?! pffff

3 Likes

I KNEW IT WAS GONNA BE SOMETHING LIKE THIS I tried putting a block on top of the stairs and when that didnt work I was like, welp, cant be done

2 Likes