virtual virtual unreality

@Felix help me get OSX running on a VM somehow, please?

i would even settle for x64 OSX but PPC would be dank

you don’t have to do it lol

I’ve used this in the past, works fine

1 Like

sweet, thank you!

this is a constant arms race as i understand, so this one didn’t work on my version of vmware pro (15.5), nor did 3 other versions i tried.

this one did, though:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/w4khcmcu7hqo1a7/MK-unlocker.zip/file

source: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/340416-unlocker-vmware-workstation-155

looks like there are some even more recent versions, so if this one gives me trouble i might try those. i can now see MacOS options in VMWare, but i haven’t actually tried an install yet, and some people are claiming there might be issues. i’ll update this thread with my results when i get off work later today and have more time to work on this

1 Like

My work desktop has windows on it which is almost useless to me. However, I’m having all sorts of weird trouble with both Windows Subsystem for Linux and Virtualbox. How is this stuff so awful?

what do you need it to do

I just want an Ubuntu Linux to run so I can VNC into it from off campus.

However, I keep running into totally mysterious problems like the Ubuntu installer hands during install at apparently random points. WSL also suffers from the same issues.

Can’t install WSL2 unfortunately.

have you considered not using your work-provided machine?

that would be on a very short list of must-action advice for me for working for a university, just ignore whatever hardware they give you

2 Likes

I installed Linux on my laptop. I don’t want to totally get rid of Windows on the Desktop because I probably need Windows SAS for my job.

You can point a VM at a real disk, install Linux on a partition/USB drive and virtualise that Windows install

Also pretty sure VNC servers for windows exist? Can’t imagine that edu assets are locked down so tightly to prevent ransoms network servers being installed??