virtual virtual unreality

ok so let me go over what i did, correctly this time, to get QEMU running accelerated on win10 64bit

• get a copy of some operating system installation media (fedora.iso in my case)
  • install qemu
  • confirm that both windows hypervisor platform and hyper-v are disabled in windows features, or you may run into errors when installing haxm
  • install haxm
  • optionally: start > systempropertiesadvanced.exe > environment variables… > select Path entry > edit… > new > paste in path\to\qemu
  • open powershell and navigate to the qemu folder (you can skip this if you added it to the path environment but you’ll need to specify full filepaths for the images and isos i think):

cd path\to\qemu

• still in powershell, use the qemu image tool to create a 20 GB raw image to serve as virtual hard drive:

qemu-img create -f raw f2.img 20G

• now it’s time to spin up the actual VM and install fedora. use the appropriate architecture for your install media, turn on hardware acceleration to improve performance, and give it 8 GB of memory (possibly overkill for what i’m doing):

qemu-system-x86_64 fedora.iso -drive format=raw,file=f2.img -accel hax -m 8G

• install your OS of choice to the hard drive, then power off and:

qemu-system-x86_64 f2.img -accel hax -m 8G

to get going for real

running a computer inside a computer? this is literally the most fun you can have with a computer

2 Likes