Videogames with a dedicated useless button

I feel like there must already be a thread for this, but I couldn’t find it. I am historically pretty bad at finding things, so if I just missed it, sorry.

Anyways, games where the designers implemented a button which has only one purpose, and that purpose has zero utility. I am mostly thinking of console games, since PC games usually let you (un/re) bind keys, but for purpose of being more inclusive, I will accept examples where there is a bind-able action that fits this category (objectively and deliberately useless in all scenarios, only there for funsies).

Also just to get it out of the way, yes, any racing/car game which includes a honk feature that doesn’t actually affect anything.

I fucking love that Nintendo included a “MARRIIIOOOOOOOOOOO” button. Perfection.

13 Likes

Pikuniku has dedicated pleased/grumpy emote buttons (it’s single player or local co-op)

7 Likes

A Boy and His Blob remake has a dedicated hug button. I’d hesitate to call it useless but it doesn’t help you win the game.

17 Likes

i like littlebigplanet’s two-state emote system where you can press the same direction twice to get a more intense expression

of course expressive emotes aren’t “useless” which is a rare instance where use/utility might have some difference of meaning

8 Likes
11 Likes

for some reason r2 in mgs2 makes raiden(?) say random stuff like “eughh” and “who is this guy”

14 Likes

I think Abe’s Odyssey had a flatulate button but I don’t recall if that button also doubles as the button that calls for others. I haven’t played Moonwalker since the early 90s, but wasn’t there a button that just let you strike a pose? I recall it having a completely useless button and I want to say it was a Pose button or something.

Several Evil Dead games have a One-Liner button, of course.

1 Like

lotus turbo challenge on mega drive has, even better than a horn toot button, a button that makes the driver shout “YAHOO!”

a whole bunch of metrovaniae let you strike a pose by pressing up on the dpad, but castlevania: portrait of ruin and bloodstained: ritual of the night add another layer by having the characters shift into a second pose if you hold it for a few seconds.

i don’t know about the arcade version (which is a totally different game), but mega drive moonwalker lets you strike a pose by holding up, too.

wiz n liz has a button that iirc, does nothing, except if you press it while ducking, your character farts. pressing the horn button in the first two gta games while not driving a car makes your character burp and fart.

doesn’t army of two have a button for high-fiving your co-op partner at any time?

7 Likes

RE5’s entire B button was just for being rude to your online partner

2 Likes

Yo! Noid Was Ahead of its Time by DustinBragg, Levi Davis, Quade Zaban, Harrison Bright, breadotop, ompuco, Dozzyrok, Nick, myles, Baycunn – dedicated dab button

1 Like

making Clank salute his minions in Ratchet & Clank 2

4 Likes