videogame things you think about a lot (Part 1)

Dark Messiah kick moments deserve a hundred posts in this thread

2 Likes

How fuckin horny Battle Chess was

5 Likes

Ooh, where is this from? This would make such a good print, on clothes.

Rhythm Heaven (DS) the specific game is Lockstep

1 Like

Nice! Thank you.

1 Like

currently watching a gta v stream, realized there will certainly be a new gta game in the near-to-midterm future and it will extensively reference the 2014-2020 period. terrifying

6 Likes

Dog controls your destiny.

I really don’t want to think about this

1 Like

i remember getting pretty excited when the first gta v trailers played up the fact that it was a period piece set exactly 5 years in the past but i feel like that didn’t really amount to that much in the end

1 Like

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I want you to know that I imported Rhythm Tengoku from Japan because I loved Wario Ware and ended up loving it a lot as well. When it got a sequel I was overjoyed, and I had to quit it because of this godforsaken stage that I simply cannot handle despite likely over a hundred attempts. I literally lack the rhythm to deal with it, that stage is my personal rhythm hell.

5 Likes

I have no memory of that specific stage at all, although it sure looks like the sort of thing that would be in Rhythm Heaven

I’m pretty sure Rhythm Tengoku GBA was subtly better, not only because A presses are better than stylus nonsense but also the stages were more charming and imaginative, and it’s a shame that one didn’t get a US release at the time

3 Likes

I get the voice samples from the Karate minigame stuck in my head like once every two weeks.

7 Likes

For me it’s the bon odori

Love the death stares when you screw up a note in this one too

7 Likes

oddly I had better Rhythm with the DS game even though I missed stylus inputs, and I’ve always wondered if it’s because the timing’s closer to what I’m used to, slapping drum sticks down from eight inches up, instead of fingers resting on keys.

2 Likes

I had similar difficulty and it was definitely the hardest to learn. I can do it perfectly now though. The subtle thing it doesn’t tell you is that the change over requires a an extra half beat so you can go from onbeat to offbeat and back. The way I think about it is just temporarily doubling the tempo for a single beat and then immediately resuming the original beat. It takes practice but you feel like a genius when you crack it.

Like a lot of Rhythm Heaven you have to feel it out and not think about it too much.

The stylus adds some neat stuff like flicking or strumming but can be a little imprecise. I’d say overall that the button-based Rhythm Heavens do have a few too many ‘keep the beat by tapping A throughout the whole thing’ stages. I like rhythm challenges but I don’t wanna just be a metronome.

5 Likes

That Penny Arcade comic about The Code Whisperer because, like, yeah, product codes are just letters and numbers, and they make thousands of them. Just type stuff in and unlock Peggle 2. It makes sense to me.

2 Likes

When u think about it a steam key is like a game’s true name

17 Likes

the way storm says OKAY?! like shes having an anxiety attack when you switch to her in xmen legends 1

3 Likes

its so fucked up they made the combo guy yell COMBO better but storm saying okay and all the other line reads are worse in xmen legends 2

2 Likes

i think its SUPER COOL that the COMBO!!! guy gets more excited and yells louder if you do more damage. much videogame things to think about

2 Likes