videogame things you think about a lot lot lot

… is Snap more evil than other predators in a business that spells Predator with a Capital P (and capslock REDATOR)?

:tarothink:

I know, stating the painfully obvious/clear here, but seriously wondering when we will reach peak rip-off … considering the somewhat lukewarm reception of Forza Horizon 5, i feel like MS should not be the only one to realize that they are beginning to overstay their welcome with endless incremental content delivery software.

Wow, that is getting to a level of specificity of targeting that makes me uncomfortable - the face, the ‘demonization’, the name in the speech bubble. I suppose it’s fair, these products are big parts of culture, but, well, I am afraid of the games community in certain ways and I would just disappear if this started to happen to me.

15 Likes

I’ve seen this level of video happen to people I used to work with on a game I used to work on and it makes me never ever want to front or be a part of any promotional push for a project I work on

7 Likes
16 Likes

Preloading can still get you pregnant

5 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

calling the new city in Fortnite “Mega city” and not “Neo Tilted Towers” is a huge missed opportunity.

5 Likes

Going to be mad about that fucked up メ for a month.

4 Likes

ff

3 Likes

here is a videogame thing i think about a lot

12 Likes

this tweet + the responses to it are so weird to me lol, a lot of stuff like ‘actually games shouldn’t be realistic, let games be game-y’ but isn’t this sort of thing only there precisely because the realism in these games makes them totally unreadable? another tweet i found funny was like ‘oh the new tomb raider needs markers like these cause unlike the old games, there’s no consistent logic across what you can grab/climb’ and like, isn’t that just Worse haha. guess it’s just goofy to see this sort of cog diss so frequently around this. though it is sort of fascinating how AAA morphed into these weird ultra-bespoke dragon’s lair point n click things but instead of a cursor you are manoeuvring an expensive looking hbo protagonist

19 Likes

People are angry because people don’t understand the complexity of the world they live in and the consequences of their desires.

sorry! maybe I’m working too much and sleeping too little!

20 Likes

i killed myself multiple times in the avengers game because i didnt realize that grey walls covered in grey scratches are supposed to mean CLIMB HERE and i miss when videogames werent ugly and totally indiscernable messes.

also the painted taped up crates and barrels are objectively 100% worse aesthetically than the original game having normal crates and barrels that look like they are supposed to be there, not to mention they were still very visibly breakable in the original. they covered the planks in the RE remakes in yellow tape too and they look like, well, an asset from another game! because they are!

11 Likes

I don’t think it’s worse, your choices are:

• Few set dressing objects, allowing dynamic objects to stand out (note that as resolution increases, set dressing looks sparer and achieving a similar level of ‘full’ requires more stuff). Lighting that cannot incorporate dynamic objects and makes them ~GLOW~
  • An out-of-world effect marking these objects as dynamic – the sparkle and outline effects that were popular before painting dynamic objects was added
  • An in-lighting cue that uses colors and textures different than any other objects are allowed to use
  • Inventing a new solution that nobody has proposed yet but fits within these constraints

That’s it! Those are your choices! If you want to play with fidelity this is an inescapable problem

3 Likes

A big cartoon sign that says “climb here”

3 Likes

RE4 isn’t like an FPS you’re zipping through, the player lingers and moves through the levels slowly enough, when they’re not just outright exploring, that you could probably have generic container objects which do not scream for attention like these do. Familiarity will eventually lead these objects to be included in the player’s scan or the landscape for important info. I guess the solution, if you go the way I’m suggesting, is to just not decorate your levels with objects that look similarly generic, which is probably an issue for artists trying to maintain the realism.

In this world there are only one or two kinds of boxes and one barrel.

3 Likes

would be very funny to do a PSX-era looking game and in the first area it points the camera at a tunnel texture as if the player is supposed to go in, but when they run at it, the player hits it wil-e-coyote style.

5 Likes

i know this is the biggest ask of all but if a game can’t make an interaction universal like titanfall’s wallrunning or botw’s climbing i find it… tacky. i haven’t liked either when they’re consigned to designated climbing and wallrunning zones

as for resident evil, i like village’s system of color-coding the map and glints

18 Likes

It works surprisingly well!

30 Likes